The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Any Raith fans starting to worry about the signings Ayr are making already and you haven't even appointed a manager yet :huh:

Aye Michael Moffat has us all terrified :thumsup2

Not exactly world beaters but they'll all be decent in League 1.

Geggan was the best midfielder in the League last time around and can't see anyone in the Raith or Airdrie squads that is much better.

The fact that we've almost assembled a full squad and Raith haven't got a manager yet is pleasing from an Ayr fans point of view.

14 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Any Raith fans starting to worry about the signings Ayr are making already and you haven't even appointed a manager yet :huh:

I figured it would be fine if we had someone in place this week.... as we start to creep into next week and potentially the week after, players start getting signed up by other teams and options reduce.... the longer it goes on options reduce.

6 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Not exactly world beaters but they'll all be decent in League 1.

Beyond getting a new manager in, we've got to replace anywhere between half and two thirds of the squad. Ayr bringing in guys in May is hardly indicative of an open market on these boys, McCall will have spoken to them weeks ago. We've got a summer long rebuild to do, one way or the other, and no guarantee that we'll be bothering the top 4 in any case. So in that respect all I can do is shrug my shoulders.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Geggan was the best midfielder in the League last time around and can't see anyone in the Raith or Airdrie squads that is much better.

The fact that we've almost assembled a full squad and Raith haven't got a manager yet is pleasing from an Ayr fans point of view.

Why? 

Why? 

Not pleasing as in funny but it's quite promising that we seem to be ahead of everyone else in a getting a squad together.

The longer it takes for you appoint a manager the lower the chance there is of you signing better players as they'll be snapped up by Championship teams.

Beyond getting a new manager in, we've got to replace anywhere between half and two thirds of the squad. Ayr bringing in guys in May is hardly indicative of an open market on these boys, McCall will have spoken to them weeks ago. We've got a summer long rebuild to do, one way or the other, and no guarantee that we'll be bothering the top 4 in any case. So in that respect all I can do is shrug my shoulders.

Without doubt you guys will be top 4, almost certainly top 2.

We only have 7 players signed for next season at the minute and one of those is 21 year old Ross Matthews who will be a far better player than Andy Geggan next season. Ross Callachan will hopefully be our other starting centre mid next season. He will also be more than capable as well.

Will they be interested in League 1 football though if a Championship team comes calling?
I can't see a championship team go for the likes of Spencey.. Would like to think we'll speak to him.

Another player, that I would love to see us bring back is Grant Anderson which I can't see any Championship team approach either.

4 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Not pleasing as in funny but it's quite promising that we seem to be ahead of everyone else in a getting a squad together.

The longer it takes for you appoint a manager the lower the chance there is of you signing better players as they'll be snapped up by Championship teams.

In retrospect, Ayr were always going to approach this close season with a bit more application than other teams, if only because failure to keep the team up wasn't going to reflect on McCall, and he could look forward to planning for next season in relative peace. For us, by the time your onto your second manager, even if he stays over the summer, your still looking at a clear out regardless, doubly so, as we hunt for our third manager in the calendar year.

On the other hand, it's May and we've got plenty of time to go raking about for a squad of shitehawk no hopers for next season. Ayr making moves early in may doesn't really change the reality of our situation.

5 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Without doubt you guys will be top 4, almost certainly top 2.

We went from romping home to 4th by twenty clear points to relegated in a penalty shootout by Brechin. There is no lower limit on how bad Rovers can get, and I've got little hope that we've bottomed out, yet.

4 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

We only have 7 players signed for next season at the minute and one of those is 21 year old Ross Matthews who will be a far better player than Andy Geggan next season. Ross Callachan will hopefully be our other starting centre mid next season. He will also be more than capable as well.

I can't see a championship team go for the likes of Spencey.. Would like to think we'll speak to him.

Another player, that I would love to see us bring back is Grant Anderson which I can't see any Championship team approach either.

I'm a fan of Ross Matthews, but to suggest he'll be better than Andy Geggan next season is quite the leap of faith.

As for Anderson, he struggled to get a game for Peterhead last season, who were relegated from League One.

I'm a fan of Ross Matthews, but to suggest he'll be better than Andy Geggan next season is quite the leap of faith.

I'd be willing to stick my neck out and say that Andy Geggan, Ross Docherty and Paul Cairney are comfortably the 3 best midfielders in League 1 at the minute.

Chin up I'm sure Raith & Ayr will fight out a ding dong battle for the title.

I had originally thought that it was going to be a four way battle between Rovers, Alloa, Airdrie and you guys. I now can't see Alloa challenging for the title with them losing all their best players.. If Airdrie end up losing Andy Ryan which is a big possibility then they could be out of the running as well. We don't have a manager and only have a third of a squad signed up whilst you seem to be acting quickly to prepare for next season( although that's not always for the best, as more players become available towards the end of June into July and August). League's yours to lose IMO.