The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just watched Hughes' interview. He's not the stupid guy some make out, far from it. I can understand the view that publicly lambasting players is wrong, but given that nothing else has worked for him so far, what else has he got left to try? It's a completely understandable position and one which we (Livingston) can relate to after our own relegation battle last season. Hughes isn't a short term manager, I agree with the Dunfermline manager above - but you can only piss with the cock you've got, and right now Raith Rovers' cock is impotent.

I could understand why he's going with the harsh approach if he'd tried and failed with literally any other method. As it is, he's come in, called all the players shite for two months and now they won't play for him. Perhaps trying to give them a wee confidence boost somewhere along the line wouldn't have been a totally out of the box idea.

Don't really think Hughes says anything that isn't true, however an additional acknowledgment of his own shortcomings would've been nice. We barely got up the park for 60 minutes against Hibs by playing a 5 man midfield and McManus up front, why then did he start with exactly the same set-up on Saturday? We didn't have a DM available which is definitely unfortunate but we had three further options to play up front, and nobody made him play 5 in midfield, or he could've brought Bene into defence and Barr in midfield, or went 3-5-2. But instead he played the same system that failed him less than 72 hours earlier, only minus a defensive midfielder in Matthews who held the thing together as best he could.

He's made some truly bizarre comments to the media, and some pretty odd decisions regarding the team on the park. His selection decisions can be put down to desperation most likely (remember when Scott Roberts was suddenly getting a game? Hasn't been seen for weeks now) but there's little excuse for saying before a match that can secure safety that you'd 'take' the play-offs, or for a few unjustified pops at Ryan Hardie, or for constantly saying we don't have good players (we don't, but no use continually saying it).

I do sympathise with him, he took over a side with zero confidence and little talent, and a few months into the job, they still have zero confidence and little talent. Fact is two managers have now failed with this group - and that's where Hughes' comments can be justified. Truly a bunch of charlatans who don't give a shit about keeping Rovers in the league. It's unfair to single out individuals but we're talking six or seven players who have played virtually all season when fit who are absolutely nowhere near good enough and don't even have the common courtesy to work harder than the minimum standard. The remaining five or six who have had acceptable seasons (likes of Bene, M'Voto, Matthews, Barr, Hardie) just can't carry that. They'll get away with it in the odd game, but little more than that. Now we need to hope that the 'odd game' turns up in a relegation play-off.

If we're desperate to blame individuals Hughes is lower on the list than Drysdale and Locke, but he's definitely still on it.

Just watched Hughes' interview. He's not the stupid guy some make out, far from it. I can understand the view that publicly lambasting players is wrong, but given that nothing else has worked for him so far, what else has he got left to try? It's a completely understandable position and one which we (Livingston) can relate to after our own relegation battle last season. Hughes isn't a short term manager, I agree with the Dunfermline manager above - but you can only piss with the cock you've got, and right now Raith Rovers' cock is impotent.

1. Hughes is a total fuckin idiot. His recent idiotic ramblings have confirmed that.

2. It's all I've seen from him since he joined Rovers so he'd be better off trying a different approach.

The amount of folk (not so much on here, but elsewhere) praising him for being some sort of heroic legend for telling the "truth" and "telling it like it is" is frightening. The man has been lambasting his players for months, no wonder their confidence is shot to pieces.

46 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I could understand why he's going with the harsh approach if he'd tried and failed with literally any other method. As it is, he's come in, called all the players shite for two months and now they won't play for him. Perhaps trying to give them a wee confidence boost somewhere along the line wouldn't have been a totally out of the box idea.

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The amount of folk (not so much on here, but elsewhere) praising him for being some sort of heroic legend for telling the "truth" and "telling it like it is" is frightening. The man has been lambasting his players for months, no wonder their confidence is shot to pieces.

Aye, it reeks of Butcher at Hibs. Taking over a shambles from a complete dud of a manager and somehow contriving to make it worse through routinely panning the squad, making it clear that he hates them and will punt them in the summer no matter what.

Hughes will know his reputation will take a tanking if Rovers go down so he's roasting the players just in case. He'll say something along the lines of "Mourinho couldn't have kept that side up" and rattle on about winning the Scottish Cup and playing football "the right way".

Quite why Rovers haven't ditched him already, when he clearly won't be in charge next season, is beyond me.

35 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

1. Hughes is a total fuckin idiot. His recent idiotic ramblings have confirmed that.

2. It's all I've seen from him since he joined Rovers so he'd be better off trying a different approach.

It reminds me a bit of Alex Rae after we lost to Hamilton in the League Cup at the start of the season. Loads of fans, including myself, were delighted he'd torn into the players after a poor display - yet look where that got us. However, it might have more effect for Hughes given it's come after a crucial game against a relegation rival at the end of the season that the players really should have been up for, rather than a cup group game against a team from a higher league.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Hughes will know his reputation will take a tanking if Rovers go down so he's roasting the players just in case. He'll say something along the lines of "Mourinho couldn't have kept that side up" and rattle on about winning the Scottish Cup and playing football "the right way".

Quite why Rovers haven't ditched him already, when he clearly won't be in charge next season, is beyond me.

I thought there was a good chance we might have made such an announcement on Saturday evening. Can't see it happening now so we are stuck with him for the duration of the play offs, however long that might be.

Lewis Vaughan's thoughts on it all:
07e6c460-34b6-4186-a143-4ab769933846.thumb.jpg.6694be5eabe15b4d31fe52e860e039b6.jpg

I really feel sorry for Lewis! It is by no means his fault at all. He is just doing what he does best, playing football and scoring goals. It's a pretty awful situation to be put in if you're him. Pity the morons at the top of our club couldn't see that. Hopefully now that it has completely bitten them in the arse they will take a good hard look at themselves! The BOD and GL should be ashamed of the sheer stupidity that this decision has proven to be!

Still utterly gobsmacked at that decision even got considered never mind approved!!

The whole thing was a farce from the start, and yet again it went as we all feared. 

I feel for Lewis - he's acted professionally, our club is a sick joke and, yet, he's the one left feeling bad about it. Purely for doing his job. 

That no one was had the guts to stand up, admit the mistakes made and apologise for this utter shitstorm of a season makes me very angry. Dreadful decisons have been made - acknowledge them for what they are. 

Edited by Michael W

Even if you just ignore Locke's role in it on the basis that he's Gary Locke so of course he did something utterly fucking moronic, you really have to wonder what your board were playing at.

I get that a board can't be seen to undermine a manager and if they're willing to give someone that job they have to let him get on with it without interference, but at the point where a manager is coming to you and saying 'I know we haven't won in seven games and have scored only two goals in that time, with the squad of 25+ I've built containing 10 central midfielders failing to show any signs of turning it around, but I want to send the only striker I haven't given a chance during this winless and almost goalless run - who incidentally was playing when we were winning and scoring earlier in the season - out on loan to a team four points behind us in return for a 32 year old midfielder who can't get a game for them and they're desperate to be rid of' is when you look at your choices of letting your manager get on with his job or stepping in and sacking him, and decide to literally boot his arse out the door.

Even if you just ignore Locke's role in it on the basis that he's Gary Locke so of course he did something utterly fucking moronic, you really have to wonder what your board were playing at.
I get that a board can't be seen to undermine a manager and if they're willing to give someone that job they have to let him get on with it without interference, but at the point where a manager is coming to you and saying 'I know we haven't won in seven games and have scored only two goals in that time, with the squad of 25+ I've built containing 10 central midfielders failing to show any signs of turning it around, but I want to send the only striker I haven't given a chance during this winless and almost goalless run - who incidentally was playing when we were winning and scoring earlier in the season - out on loan to a team four points behind us in return for a 32 year old midfielder who can't get a game for them and they're desperate to be rid of' is when you look at your choices of letting your manager get on with his job or stepping in and sacking him, and decide to literally boot his arse out the door.

The guy is obviously a terrible manager but I'd be very surprised if that's how Gary Locke put it across to the board.

25 minutes ago, Cannon Fodder said:

The guy is obviously a terrible manager but I'd be very surprised if that's how Gary Locke put it across to the board.

Obviously, but you'd hope any board would have at least one person on it capable of seeing that's what it amounted to.

I think we are forgetting, when we loaned Lewis out, we had just signed Hardie and Stevenson. Lewis was already behind Stewart and McManus in the pecking order so was effectively 5th choice. Skacel had also been playing behind the striker when he came on and a few folk were calling for Yaw to get a chance so you could argue he was even further down the list. 

I would bet that had he still been with us, he wouldn't have been a regular in our side and Dumbarton would still be ahead of us.

Edited by Kdawg

28 minutes ago, Cannon Fodder said:

True but he's brilliant in interviews, he could probably have helped organise ditching our only defensive cover in return for Scott Roberts who was already here and the board might have gone for that to..........oh