The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 27/02/2017 at 12:21, RR #1 said:

Yeah I am being an arse. The players are all hero's and all our current problems are down to that Gary Locke.

You know if the current squad were utterly useless footballers and gave it there best every week I wouldn't say a bad worst against them. 

What we have is a group who preform well against far better teams and look utterly incompetent against Dumbarton and Qots. That is what has rapidly turned me against the current squad. 

Cant believe I missed this doozy. 

Might want to add Ayr United to that list, champ ... oh, and every other club you've played in the last 16 games, or 4 whole calendar months, however you prefer to look at it.

Edited by Mr X

What a fucking omnishambles.

You can't really blame the SPFL as the rules are clearly defined. We've just been incredibly naive in the transfer market this year.

From wasting a key loan signing on Aaron Lennox too wasting financial resource on players such as skacel and that defender whose name escapes me.

46 minutes ago, grumswall said:

How can we go from the highs of last season to impending relegation the following season? Just a roller coaster of a club.

Morton done it worse that what you seem to have so far. They went from 2nd to completely isolated at the bottom just a few years ago. They didn't change manager that preseason (between the 2 seasons) and kept most of their squad as well I believe. Football can be a funny old game.

Morton done it worse that what you seem to have so far. They went from 2nd to completely isolated at the bottom just a few years ago. They didn't change manager that preseason (between the 2 seasons) and kept most of their squad as well I believe. Football can be a funny old game.

While our season was absolutely disastrous overall, the squad changes were quite significant. Losing Tidser and Peter MacDonald from key positions in a settled, well-performing side set the benchmark for numerous disasters, punctuated ironically by beating Celtic at Parkhead.

The panic button was hammered around Christmas time and into January, with Nacho Novo and Gary O'Connor the most notable (and shite) additions. Added to having Kenny Sheils insisting on us playing out from the back regardless of scoreline, and Barry McKay doing an astounding act of impersonating a footballer, we deservedly ended up in the seaside leagues. Horrendous.

3 minutes ago, MonEhTon said:

While our season was absolutely disastrous overall, the squad changes were quite significant. Losing Tidser and Peter MacDonald from key positions in a settled, well-performing side set the benchmark for numerous disasters, punctuated ironically by beating Celtic at Parkhead.

The panic button was hammered around Christmas time and into January, with Nacho Novo and Gary O'Connor the most notable (and shite) additions. Added to having Kenny Sheils insisting on us playing out from the back regardless of scoreline, and Barry McKay doing an astounding act of impersonating a footballer, we deservedly ended up in the seaside leagues. Horrendous.

Whilst I agree that losing 2 of your most influential players makes a difference to your team, you hardly had half of the first team leaving and being replaced by new players. Morton should never have ended up in as bad a position as they did. Quite why they did is still a bit of a weird one in my opinion. 

From Christmas onwards is history that season... It only really got worse. Still managed to pump us twice that season though :thumbsdown

That's what happens when you go from McKinnon to imposter clown Locke. 

Yea, then fill with team with imposters. We are on a slippery slope now and I simply cannot see a way forward. It wouldn't have mattered what manager came in, you simply can't polish a turd.

Yea, then fill with team with imposters. We are on a slippery slope now and I simply cannot see a way forward. It wouldn't have mattered what manager came in, you simply can't polish a turd.

At least Locke knew how to sign a goalkeeper.

Stevenson - Locke signing. Yes, should never had signed him, but he was in goals last night.

Benedictus - not a Locke signing and hardly a turd. Has been excellent for us since signing.

M'Voto - Locke signing. He's been Locke's one good signing.

Barr - not a Locke signing. Decent player from February to May each year.

Thomson - not a Locke signing. Recovering from another long injured spell, but generally good.

Johnston - Locke signing. A bit meh. Looks a player but doesn't do enough.

Davidson - not a Locke signing. Stalwart and utility player for various managers.

Callachan - not a Locke signing.

McHattie - Locke signing.

Hardie - Locke signing. Was the wonderboy last season. Just needs a manager that knows how to play him.

McManus - Locke signing.

Ok, 6 players. I'll give you that, but normally we would have Cuthbert in goals and Hardie is a good player, not sure what happened to him at St Mirren but his confidence just needs building up.

The makings of a team are there. If the manager can get confidence up then Mark Stewart, Bobby Barr and Ryan Hardie are more than capable of scoring goals at this level.

With the exception of the misfiring Bobby Barr we have nothing in midfield (in terms of effective creativity) apart from Callachan's surging runs forward. Yogi has to get Callachan forward more and get Barr's confidence/form back.

Yogi has been brought in to try and sort this out. Hopefully he manages before he runs out of games.

Whilst I appreciate I'm clutching at straws left right and centre here, I still don't think it's certain that we'll go down, although I admit it's extremely likely on current form.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest we might have a goalkeeper for the St Mirren game, which would certainly be a start at least. Last night had circumstances which were pretty extraordinary and won't be repeated (hopefully.)

We also looked like we were the better team judging by the highlights. I admit, using Ayr as a barometer isn't a particularly high marker, but we at least created chances.

As for Hughes's two previous games, I honestly think his substitutions and team selections knackered us in both, which he alluded to himself, so at least he recognises his mistakes and presumably won't make them again. Or I suppose he might make new mistakes, but you know what I mean.

This wee spell of games was crucial though, and we've already lost to a pretty terrible Ayr team, with a resurgent St Mirren coming up followed by a suddenly half decent Dumbarton.

If we come out of those two with anything less than 4 points, considering we're presumably needing 38-40 to stay up, then I think we're probably goosed.

As a follow on, if this is a popular view, who do people see as 'the imposters' in our team?

I'm not sure about imposters, but I expected more from McManus. He's been a hugely disappointing signing. However, none of our forwards have done well and a major part of this is undoubtedly down to the way our midfield perform and our general game plan. We don't create enough.

Jordan Thompson looks like he will be a good player in future and this loan spell has probably been a good learning curve for him. unfortunately it hasn't helped us recently.

McHattie, Johnston and Stevenson have all underwhelmed me.

I think there's a case for saying our entire attack (and midfield) are imposters - 8 goals scored in 17 games. There were enough chances created last night to win the game (despite an understandably defensive line up), but in the past few weeks there's an argument to say the strikers have been hung out to dry by a midfield that can't create enough for them. 

There are other things that should be avoided too - like pairing Callachan and Davidson together in midfield. Indeed, Davidson should be kept out of midfield altogether. 

Up front is a tough one as well. No one is scoring goals, so it is a bit of a lottery there. Even then, how much time have Hardie and Stewart been given together, when they looked a decent pairing last season? Very little. Then there was Vaughan...not saying he would be the saviour, but was loaned out when theae scoring problems were painfully apparent. 

Whilst I appreciate I'm clutching at straws left right and centre here, I still don't think it's certain that we'll go down, although I admit it's extremely likely on current form.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest we might have a goalkeeper for the St Mirren game, which would certainly be a start at least. Last night had circumstances which were pretty extraordinary and won't be repeated (hopefully.)

We also looked like we were the better team judging by the highlights. I admit, using Ayr as a barometer isn't a particularly high marker, but we at least created chances.

As for Hughes's two previous games, I honestly think his substitutions and team selections knackered us in both, which he alluded to himself, so at least he recognises his mistakes and presumably won't make them again. Or I suppose he might make new mistakes, but you know what I mean.

This wee spell of games was crucial though, and we've already lost to a pretty terrible Ayr team, with a resurgent St Mirren coming up followed by a suddenly half decent Dumbarton.

If we come out of those two with anything less than 4 points, considering we're presumably needing 38-40 to stay up, then I think we're probably goosed.

It's not certain we'll go down, but this season has that relegation feel about it, and playing a crucial relegation zone game without a recognised goalkeeper tends to indicate that all is not well at the club.

Losing that game has us now sitting 1 point above the relegation play-off place. Unless our form improves markedly between now and the end of the season - in which case we don't need to worry about a play-off - then I wouldn't have any faith in us winning a two-legged play-off.