The New Raith Rovers Thread

We're going to be relegated, aren't we?

Being completely overrun by Dumbarton at home convinced me that we could go down, and we really haven't improved since.

Thankfully Ayr look just as bad as us, if not worse. St Mirren might be a bit too far back, but they do have a game in hand.

I really think it's a big possibility.

Another who at this stage thinks we may very well go down. Part of me thought Locke had better players than we were showing, but who is our goal threat? McManus isn't going to hit form, it's safe to say now. Stewart isn't doing it this season, he's always needed a partner and either hasn't actually played up front or has had McManus alongside. Hardie looks a goal threat but doesn't add much else. Stevenson... I missed the Hibs match which by all accounts was his best, but every time I've seen him he's been worse than hopeless. Skacel? Lol. Johnston? Has added next to nothing this season, over the piece. Barr? Another who sadly is just completely out of form.

We have scored a goal in each of Hughes' matches so far, a screamer from nowhere and a centre back. That isn't reassuring.

The only positives I can see at this stage are we've appointed a good manager who will hopefully get things right, and that Ayr are on just as bad a run as us (albeit in that run, they've completely pumped us 1-1 at Stark's).

Edited by Paco

Anyway speaking of the prospect of going down..

Who is under contract for next season all ready? as our budget would be vastly inferior to this season if we were to go down..

Cuthbert

Bene

Callachan

Matthews

Vaughan

Stewart

Davo

Thomson

Bobby Barr

Is that it or am I missing any of the obvious ones?

Of the rest, the only one I'd keep if we were to stay up is M'Voto.

McHattie, Brennan, Roberts, Skacel and Stevenson will more than likely be out the door in the summer.

The loan players( Hardie, Thompson, McManus and Lennox) will all return to their clubs as well. The only player i can see us possibly look at getting back again is Hardie..

Craig Barr I'm sure has the appearance clause in his contract which he probably won't meet so I'm not sure about him. Yogi will probably want to keep him though if Yogi stays( providing we stay up of course).

That then leaves Johnstone and Coustrain as the only first-team players this season, that I'm not sure about, I'd keep Coustrain and punt Johnstone but if we go down, I can see the opposite happening.

43 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

If, or possibly when, we do get relegated the players listed above should provide the basis of a side that would be comfortably good enough to achieve promotion.

That's a positive (ish) post for you and true as well.

The current squad should be enough to keep us up though, there's still a slight chance that football might start to happen on the pitch, Locke didn't ruin us overnight it can't be fixed in a couple of games either, hopefully sooner than later though.

11 hours ago, lellywong said:

That's you being an arse!!

Yeah I am being an arse. The players are all hero's and all our current problems are down to that Gary Locke.

You know if the current squad were utterly useless footballers and gave it there best every week I wouldn't say a bad worst against them. 

What we have is a group who preform well against far better teams and look utterly incompetent against Dumbarton and Qots. That is what has rapidly turned me against the current squad. 

41 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Yeah I am being an arse. The players are all hero's and all our current problems are down to that Gary Locke.

You know if the current squad were utterly useless footballers and gave it there best every week I wouldn't say a bad worst against them. 

What we have is a group who preform well against far better teams and look utterly incompetent against Dumbarton and Qots. That is what has rapidly turned me against the current squad. 

Maybe we played really well at the same time as you not playing very well. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be but to single out ourselves and Queens is just a bit silly. Both are teams who have established themselves pretty well in this league over the last 4 or 5 years. Not like they are teams you should be expecting to win against.

We shouldn't be expecting to be utterly rank against a part time side though. We have a bigger squad and more resources, its not unreasonable to suggest we should be beating Dumbarton, certainly over the course of the season.

56 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We shouldn't be expecting to be utterly rank against a part time side though. We have a bigger squad and more resources, its not unreasonable to suggest we should be beating Dumbarton, certainly over the course of the season.

From what I have heard you have been rank for months though, not just against us. As for beating us over the course of a season, you did beat us in the first game at your place, 3-2 I believe.