The New Raith Rovers Thread

Money’s tight and we will have a smaller squad they said.

last season our undoing was a weak midfield that failed to supply forwards who were known to be proven goal scorers. Vaughan was scoring for fun at the start of last season then due to a lack of midfielders was played in a far less effective midfield role.  Unthinkable that the mistakes of last year could be repeated on those same scores.

If money is tight the loan market may be an option that is used a bit more than we would all like. I would imagine the price of say Hendry on loan is less that any FT jobber at this level. 

Hendry would be a very good acquisition (as long as we get him for the full season). The loan market is precarious as f**k though. Two other Hendry-level (at the latter end of last season) or above signings would see us look decent. Get those wrong though and our squad could be gash. Its that tight when we are dealing with such a small number - Barry better get this fucking sorted!

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Thomson

New keeper

Watson

McKay

Davidson

Murray

Benedictus

Matthews

Berry

Stevenson

Vaughan

Buchanan

Duggan

Add in the keeper, 1 midfielder and this 4th striker and that’s 16.

Almost certainly the worst midfield in the division, right there.

My goodness, this is absolutely sensational! Over nine minutes of solid gold Martin Hugo Prest, featuring about six minutes of him missing, and with a pumping dance track to boot.

The keepie-uppies in a back garden whilst wearing an oversized Raith Rovers shell-suit is also a highlight.

My goosebumps have goosebumps. Thank-you JinglinGeordie.

I like to think Vincent Talio did the editing.

I can't believe we'll only make 3 new signings. Was it not stated that we would run a squad of 16 + supplemented from the development players like Brian, McKay, Watson, Ferry and Stevenson. 

Did he perhaps mean we were 3 players away from a starting 11...?

GK: Thompson, +1, Brian(Dev)

Def: Murray Davo Bene +1/2  Watson McKay (Dev)

Midfielders: Matthews +2/3 ,Ferry, Stevenson (Dev)

Strikers: Vaughan, Duggan, Buchanan +1

Looking at that squad, the +3 to a starting 11 would make sense. 2 midfielders and a full back, assuming Vaughan will play wide left. Something like the above takes us to 20, which would be roughly what was suggested. a few for backup, a couple of which will be loan players.

Take out all of the assumed pluses, and only have 3 in..... that would be an awfy weak squad!

Edited by GhostZapper

16 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Lads (and lassies), the 5-1-4 is happening; a full back, a striker and a goalkeeper are the three. Embrace the footballing revolution on the hallowed Starks Park plastic. 

To be perfectly honest, after the events of the last two seasons that wouldn't surprise me.

6 minutes ago, He's Got No Hair said:

Big M'voto is on his way back and will be converted into a striker for next season. King of the flick ons with Vaughan, Buchanan and Duggan running in behind. Its genius. 

More likely just to miss the ball altogether. Might be ok for dummying the ball in behind right enough.

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Can anyone remember what formation we ended up playing in Gary Locke’s final 15 minutes in charge?

I’m sure it featured a very unusual player in defence and about six up front? It was wild.

Like, 2-3-5 with no centre backs, and Mark Stewart and Bobby Barr playing as the two full backs.