The New Raith Rovers Thread

58 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Bobby Barr. He used to be liked and deemed a good player at this level. Why is he now hated by everyone?

Boaby is the best thing since sliced bread grilled with cheese but only if the team are cruising and the opposition are well off the pace. If the opposition are up for it and spoil things by having the tenacity to take the lead then Boaby becomes the aforementioned shitebag.  If your looking for someone to pile on the shit then he  is yer  man but if you're looking for someone to dig you out of it then forget it.

Edited by Scottydog

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

He also retweets things that say "RT this or you'll have bad luck for three years".

To be fair, you can imagine he forgot to RT one of those just before he rocked up to Starks Park, and took the lesson to heart.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

The rot and eggy smell is part of our culture.

I passed the pitch today on the train. Doesn’t look like there’s been any sort of major drainage works but you never know. There were drains. Then there was what looked like some form of hardcore on top.

Ive not long passed it on the train and that'd be my prognosis too, no way does ot look as though there been anything too major done to the drainage.  I see a future of plastic with multiple puddles and possible postponement. Time will tell but I'm well  short on optimism on this one.

7 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Ive not long passed it on the train and that'd be my prognosis too, no way does ot look as though there been anything too major done to the drainage.  I see a future of plastic with multiple puddles and possible postponement. Time will tell but I'm well  short on optimism on this one.

Good to see we have an expert on installing real grass and plastic pitches within our following.

More refreshing than the usual Close Season financial and liquidation experts that are normally come out to play.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Terms have been offered to Thomson & Robertson. Even if they don't sign, you'd assume we'll sign direct replacements, bringing us up to ten. The defence in that case would be sorted, leaving six players for the rest of the team - a goalie, two wide players, a further CM and two strikers would hit sixteen, with Berry, Stevenson, Watson, Valentine (if he stays) and anyone else if they're staying to flesh it out. Around twenty in all. I would expect at least a couple of those to come in to be loanees. 

Could be wrong. Without proper word from the manager, it's all a  guessing game really. 

Every one of the Development Squad now on the players' page is signed up to at least May 2019, so Valentine stays.

ETA - with the exception of James Berry, who is expected to sign when he returns from holiday.

Edited by Beachbum

9 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Good to see we have an expert on installing real grass and plastic pitches within our following.

More refreshing than the usual Close Season financial and liquidation experts that are normally come out to play.

Absolutely no expertise required just a modicum of common sense. The 4 Previous groundsman (the experienced experts in the field)  have all sited the poor drainage issues being a major part for our pitch woes. If the drainage wasn't working properly before and there been nothing substantial done to rectify the fault what's to make people think it's gonna miraculously work because a new surface has been installed?

Edited by Scottydog

22 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Good to see you've got your x-ray vision working again.

29 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

how can you tell by looking from the railway line on a moving train for 10 seconds or so, the extent of the work carried out on the drainage system?

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Good to see you've got your x-ray vision working again.

I'm basing it all on time Dave, it's just a week since the turf came up and already the hard core base is 3/4 in place. Surely fixing drainage issues would take more than a couple of days?  Hopefully there will be no future issues but could we be so lucky? It's the Rovers after all.

I have posted this another thread but I think it might get a decent pop in here:
I recorded a podcast with Grant Anderson earlier in the week. In this second part, he talks about his four years at Raith Rovers, and there's a lot of neat stuff in here.
CLICK
First podcast was a brilliant listen so looking forward to the second. He's always came across as a down to earth guy but it was funny to hear about how he was trying to embarrass people at junior level.

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Just saw something on twitter pop up with Callum Cranes family saying he's without a club. Certainly doesn't sound like he's signed a precontract with Livi. Not sure if he'd be happy to stay at this level but surely worth asking the question.

I think he could be a great signing, I doubt he would fancy coming to us either but if it was a 2 year contract offer who knows.

13 hours ago, pub car king said:

Yeah this sounds like the problem Smith was given Easton and Robertson he didn' get his own guys.

I would say losing Easton is going to be a bigger loss than if we'd lost Smith.

Wrong. Easton already there when BS arrived and they know each other from way back to playing days in Dundee and both sill live in the area.

Robertson was asked by Smith to step up to the coaching side of things, having played together when Robertson broke into the Dundee team and managed Robertson before he moved to tannadice.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

If we're going with a smaller squad this upcoming season in comparison to last season then it's surely a stick on that the development players will be part of a 16 man squad. There's no way we'll be bringing in up to 9 new players imo. For all we know the additional players we'll bring in to make it up to 16 might include loan players.

Reading back the FFP article it says a 16 man squad with the younger players supplementing this so I am hoping that the likes of McKay, Berry, Watson end co are bracketed as younger players.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I have posted this another thread but I think it might get a decent pop in here:

I recorded a podcast with Grant Anderson earlier in the week. In this second part, he talks about his four years at Raith Rovers, and there's a lot of neat stuff in here.

CLICK

Listened to this earlier. Great podcast and some very interesting insight into his time here. Seems like he as poorly treated when he left, which is a shame, as he was a good player for us. 

37 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Reading back the FFP article it says a 16 man squad with the younger players supplementing this so I am hoping that the likes of McKay, Berry, Watson end co are bracketed as younger players.

I just can't see how we'd manage to bring in the amount of players needed (loans or otherwise) to bolster the squad to 16 that doesn't include the Development players. It would mean having a starting 11 and full bench with no youth player in sight. Time will tell I suppose.