The New Raith Rovers Thread

Is our 16 man squad including the likes of McKay, Watson, Stevenson and Berry? If it is then, going by who's signed up thus far (I'm including Bene), we'll be looking to make 6 new signings. I'll assume 1 of the 6 is Duggan so the remaining 5 will need to be a new keeper, full back, central midfielder, wide player and another striker.

44 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Same story about Bene also in the FFP plus Smith confirms he has agreed terms with an out of contract striker currently out of the country (must be Duggan), we'll be running a squad of 16 first team players plus the development players, Robertson and Easton are talking to Dundee United and Cuthbert is also out of contract and hasn't agreed a new deal yet.

clipping16.jpg

So Watson, Stevenson and Berry contribute to the 16, right?

Assume Benedictus signs then we have, currently: Murray, Davidson, Benedictus, Mckay, Matthews, Buchanan, Stevenson, Berry and Watson. That's 9 so space for 7. Assume two keepers so you're down to 5 spaces. Got to guess that Murray goes in at left back, with Watson able to cover the other side, but probably not start there. That'd leave us needing a right back in that scenario.

So either it's 5 spots or 4 depending on whether Watson is deemed up to scratch. That's not a lot of room considering we need most of a new midfield as well as other options up front.

Very similar as the eggy smell was from rotting vegetation, the dreaded "Black Death" that all the previous groundsmen were trying to eradicate.
The "rot" formed directly as a result of poor drainage, because the water doesn't drain away the grass roots rot in the swampy sub soil causing the black rot to spread further choking the grass and further preventing drainage.  
Various things were tried such as laying new turf on top one year but that just lifted like a carpet and it was decided to sand slit the pitch pre-season to try to improve drainage.  This worked well for a few years but ultimately the issue returned, basically the drains weren't right from day 1 (1996) and the damage would cost about £150-250k to put right. 
My worry is that if the drainage isn't being sorted out now then any future surface authentic or artificial will suffer from the same watery issues.

The rot and eggy smell is part of our culture.

I passed the pitch today on the train. Doesn’t look like there’s been any sort of major drainage works but you never know. There were drains. Then there was what looked like some form of hardcore on top.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Assume Benedictus signs then we have, currently: Murray, Davidson, Benedictus, Mckay, Matthews, Buchanan, Stevenson, Berry and Watson.

You're missing Vaughan.

52 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Is our 16 man squad including the likes of McKay, Watson, Stevenson and Berry? If it is then, going by who's signed up thus far (I'm including Bene), we'll be looking to make 6 new signings. I'll assume 1 of the 6 is Duggan so the remaining 5 will need to be a new keeper, full back, central midfielder, wide player and another striker.

I had assumed that Watson, McKay, Berry, Stevenson etc. being the other/development players outwith the first 16.

3 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

I had assumed that Watson, McKay, Berry, Stevenson etc. being the other/development players outwith the first 16.

That was my assumption as well.

No offence to them, but if they are included within the 16 we aren't going to be winning anything this season.

So with Murray, Davo, Vaughan, Buchanan, McKay, Matthews, as the 1st teamers +Bene who seems set to sign.... that's 7.

assuming  Brian, Watson Berry and Stevenson as the development players....

- we need 2 keepers for definite, unless they go 1 +Rory Brian.    (+1/+2)

- we have neither left or a right back, and as good as Watson looked in the handful of games last season, he isn't ready to play every week, so we will sign a RB and LB. We are sorted at Centre half.  So need 2. (+2)

- We have nobody to play wide right or left (unless you play Vaughan wide left) so theres another 2. You also need Robertson to re-sign, or sign a replacement for him, so that's 3, assuming you go with Matthews as the other CM.  (+2/+3)

We need 1 striker at the very least. possibly 2 if Vaughan is your left mid.  (+1/+2)

That would be the +7 to +9 to take it up to 16.

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That was my assumption as well.

No offence to them, but if they are included within the 16 we aren't going to be winning anything this season.

Going by the site they've gone from apprentices to signing pro-contracts, so assume they would be part of the 16 man squad.

Is their age anything to do with signing the pro contracts rather than youth or apprentice ones?

We also have to make far better use of the loan market this season. Hendry was good but what was the point when it apparently took him 3 months to get up to speed. Zanatta was ok for a few games but really was very ineffective and in the playoffs you could see he really didn't care.

If we're going with a smaller squad this upcoming season in comparison to last season then it's surely a stick on that the development players will be part of a 16 man squad. There's no way we'll be bringing in up to 9 new players imo. For all we know the additional players we'll bring in to make it up to 16 might include loan players.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Bobby Barr. He used to be liked and deemed a good player at this level. Why is he now hated by everyone?

He's a shitehawk with a heart the size of a midge's bollocks.

Honestly, the guy does have some good attributes, his willingness to carry the ball from deep, a decent cross and not bad finishing. On the other hand he's one of those guys who tries to hide in plain sight, demanding the ball to look interested while not moving but actually hiding behind his marker. Passing the buck with difficult chances, shiting out of challenges as well. 

Just now, renton said:

He's a shitehawk with a heart the size of a midge's bollocks.

Honestly, the guy does have some good attributes, his willingness to carry the ball from deep, a decent cross and not bad finishing. On the other hand he's one of those guys who tries to hide in plain sight, demanding the ball to look interested while not moving but actually hiding behind his marker. Passing the buck with difficult chances, shiting out of challenges as well. 

Sounds like an exact replica of Tom Walsh. Can understand why we're after him in that case. I assume he's still best deployed out wide?

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

If we're going with a smaller squad this upcoming season in comparison to last season then it's surely a stick on that the development players will be part of a 16 man squad. There's no way we'll be bringing in up to 9 new players imo. For all we know the additional players we'll bring in to make it up to 16 might include loan players.

The scary thing being that we started last season with 13 first team players......

Just now, The Moonster said:

Sounds like an exact replica of Tom Walsh. Can understand why we're after him in that case. I assume he's still best deployed out wide?

If you can cleave him off the back of the opposition left back, aye.

I think if we're not terming the likes of Stevenson and Berry, with barely a first team appearance between them, as 'development' players then who would actually be playing for the Reserve team? It would be the bench from the  weekend's match and maybe a couple of the starters too.

You can dice the sixteen in many different ways but I would say we currently have eight in it - Brian, Bene, McKay, Murray, Davidson, Matthews, Vaughan, Buchanan.  Appreciate Brian has also barely featured but there's no way we'll sign two senior goalies.

Terms have been offered to Thomson & Robertson. Even if they don't sign, you'd assume we'll sign direct replacements, bringing us up to ten. The defence in that case would be sorted, leaving six players for the rest of the team - a goalie, two wide players, a further CM and two strikers would hit sixteen, with Berry, Stevenson, Watson, Valentine (if he stays) and anyone else if they're staying to flesh it out. Around twenty in all. I would expect at least a couple of those to come in to be loanees. 

Could be wrong. Without proper word from the manager, it's all a  guessing game really. 

Edited by Paco