The New Raith Rovers Thread

26 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Watson is probably still trying to put his body back together after getting rag dolled at home against Alloa.

He wasn't too clever away at Airdrie either, particularly for their 2nd if I recall. Not to say he won't be a good footballer someday, only that I'd disagree he coped marvellously and has someway to go. Hopefully watching 36 games from the dugout will give him that much needed insight to get ahead. 

12 minutes ago, renton said:

He wasn't too clever away at Airdrie either, particularly for their 2nd if I recall. Not to say he won't be a good footballer someday, only that I'd disagree he coped marvellously and has someway to go. Hopefully watching 36 games from the dugout will give him that much needed insight to get ahead. 

Just think if he hadn't been at fault for their goal we'd maybe have won the league....I jest before the development happy clappers get on my case.

I thought in the majority of his games Watson  had acquitted himself very well, true enough that he was given a torrid time at Airdrie but then as a whole we were all pretty pish that Sunday.  I think I'd rather he played the bulk of the season coming in the 1st if it meant he had the occasional tough game as long it means he's able to make the step up at the end of the season.

I thought Watson was alright, he was poor at Airdrie but as I recall he played through an injury. And the entire team were dreadful that day so a bit harsh to single him out.

Happy for him to be on board. Hopefully we get a young player signed up at left back (Valentine?) and the defence will be more than sorted, assuming Bene/Thomson stay.

Wonder if we’re close to sorted in the middle of the park, if Robertson signs? Would be him, Matthews, Berry and Stevenson. Not what Barry Smith would choose I’m sure but then he didn’t take us up and got pumped out the cups early on, so...

I defo think we'll add 2 if not 3 midfielders at the very least - it would be a blow if Robertson leaves - I don't think these young guys are ready for a full season at this level just yet - but they will be good squad players.

15 minutes ago, Paco said:

I thought Watson was alright, he was poor at Airdrie but as I recall he played through an injury. And the entire team were dreadful that day so a bit harsh to single him out.

Happy for him to be on board. Hopefully we get a young player signed up at left back (Valentine?) and the defence will be more than sorted, assuming Bene/Thomson stay.

Wonder if we’re close to sorted in the middle of the park, if Robertson signs? Would be him, Matthews, Berry and Stevenson. Not what Barry Smith would choose I’m sure but then he didn’t take us up and got pumped out the cups early on, so...

That'd be a fairly awful central midfield.

Edited by renton

That'd be a fairly awful midfield.

Agreed. Though with John Sim quoted as saying this year’s budget is ‘very small’, I just can’t see us adding more than one player to that mix when the squad is empty elsewhere.

We ran last season with Robertson, Herron and Matthews as the ‘senior’ CMs. Hendry came in to help bolster it but barely played until later, and at that he was only signed to free up Vaughan/cover the permanently injured Herron.

So we have two ‘senior’ CMs if Robertson signs. At a reduced budget maybe one more is a luxury - I think we’ll see Smith looking for someone who can cover both wide and in the centre, in the Allan Walker/James Craigen/dare I say it Ross Matthews mould.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Agreed. Though with John Sim quoted as saying this year’s budget is ‘very small’, I just can’t see us adding more than one player to that mix when the squad is empty elsewhere.

We ran last season with Robertson, Herron and Matthews as the ‘senior’ CMs. Hendry came in to help bolster it but barely played until later, and at that he was only signed to free up Vaughan/cover the permanently injured Herron.

So we have two ‘senior’ CMs if Robertson signs. At a reduced budget maybe one more is a luxury - I think we’ll see Smith looking for someone who can cover both wide and in the centre, in the Allan Walker/James Craigen/dare I say it Ross Matthews mould.

Yeah, problem being that we never came close to dominating a game all year after Callahan left. Trying to limp though the season with Robertson (if he signs, and stays fit), Matthews (who needs a good season) and two players with about 3, 5 minute sub appearances between them is, all joking about long ball aside, is a recipe for disaster.

5 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

Scott Fraser released from Dundee United... a bit of an adventurous shout and probably can’t afford but a man can dream

He's in the Courier saying he wants to play at the highest level he possibly can, and join Hearts. You trying to whoosh folk? 

Yeah. Folk need to reign in their imagination. Our signings (we need 9 and we'll get 5) will be a couple of youngish pts who want to give full time a shot and some ex premier youth players midway onto their spiral through the divisions towards junior oblivion.

Edited by renton

9 hours ago, Raithie said:

We need to be looking at  better players than McGregor and GMS, we're far to big a club for them.

Yer in the same league as us , Arbroath , Forfar, Montrose, stenhousemuir  , stranraer,         YER NO A BIG CLUB       . how many times ? :unsure2: