The New Raith Rovers Thread

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:57, Scary Bear said:

Please stop conversing with me. You are on a level with Tazz1903 or whatever his name was. Your only worth is to fellow sexual deviants on the NSFW thread.

Good to hear, I've got a LEVEL ?  :angel howz roaring back 2 coming along ? :lol:

On 20/05/2018 at 13:01, Scottydog said:

No need to ask I heard 1st hand what went on.

Prior to going on holiday the groundsman at the time (John Murray iirc) left clear and concise instructions on what the aggregates and layers were to be but it was ignored and spoil from the building site at Seafield was used instead.  All the good grade topsoil went to the expensive houses gardens at Seafield and the crap was used to level the pitch.

Exactly and the new chairman has stated there was a small coming from the pitch

Methane?

11 hours ago, Youngmcnaughtleigh said:

Exactly and the new chairman has stated there was a small coming from the pitch

Methane?

Very similar as the eggy smell was from rotting vegetation, the dreaded "Black Death" that all the previous groundsmen were trying to eradicate.

The "rot" formed directly as a result of poor drainage, because the water doesn't drain away the grass roots rot in the swampy sub soil causing the black rot to spread further choking the grass and further preventing drainage.  

Various things were tried such as laying new turf on top one year but that just lifted like a carpet and it was decided to sand slit the pitch pre-season to try to improve drainage.  This worked well for a few years but ultimately the issue returned, basically the drains weren't right from day 1 (1996) and the damage would cost about £150-250k to put right. 

My worry is that if the drainage isn't being sorted out now then any future surface authentic or artificial will suffer from the same watery issues.

Glad we're signing a few of these guys up - was particularly impressed with McKay (who was already contracted) and Watson coped very well in the matches he played. The other 2 seem very well thought off as part of the Development set up so good to see them being given and make the step up towards the first team.

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

Watson coped very well in the matches he played. 

Watson is probably still trying to put his body back together after getting rag dolled at home against Alloa.