The New Raith Rovers Thread

Gary Locke was unforgivable, the guy was utterly useless and his record was terrible. His win ratio at Kilmarnock and Hearts was less than 30%. Every fan in Scottish football knew it was a terrible decision to sign him. Yet our board give him a 2 year contract as he interviewed well. Let’s not even mention that French w**k from 2004.

24 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Gary Locke was unforgivable, the guy was utterly useless and his record was terrible. His win ratio at Kilmarnock and Hearts was less than 30%. Every fan in Scottish football knew it was a terrible decision to sign him. Yet our board give him a 2 year contract as he interviewed well. Let’s not even mention that French w**k from 2004.

Such a bizarrely wilful act of sabotage as well. Gave you the impression Drysdale spent his days jamming forks into plug sockets.

Edited by renton

If we're going to be playing direct football again next season, we desperately need a big target man for Buchanan to feed off and bully defenders. We were far too lightweight up front last season.

4 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

If we're going to be playing direct football again next season, we desperately need a big target man for Buchanan to feed off and bully defenders. We were far too lightweight up front last season.

I'm sure Smith will have some 5ft 7 forward in mind for the role.

31 minutes ago, Geordie_Munrover said:

On sims interview he says something about Callachan not being at hearts much longer and hinted we would perhaps receive some more money from him..... has he been linked with a move?

Just asked one of the Hearts fans in my office - he says he reckons he'll be offloaded in the summer. Whether that's for a fee, or on a free......

Eric Drysdale's tenure saw the club post an £80k loss the season we challenged for the Championship Title, with an extra 500 people watchingis each week. 

When you put that beside the losses of the team that pipped is at the post that season, it puts it into a better prospective.

People can list his failings all day, at the end of the day he was still an employee of the club. If he had been so poor then why wasn't he sacked? A manager would have been for a lot less.

His tenure will always be looked upon as a failure but he was the guy running the club. We need someone else doing a similar (hopefully better) job in my opinion. No point in having a new BoD and a new owner without having someone there at the coal face every day keeping the place ticking over. Sim seemed to put an awful lot of responsibility on Barry Smith in his interview stating that he didn't know a lot of what was going on with the team. He also pleaded ignorant when it came to Callachan and more importantly, Bates and the dev fees.

Are we just supposed to all sit tight and let the new BoD make mistakes and then hold their hands up and say "whoops, we're still learning, hahaha."?

I'd like to see some kind of management put in place for the running of the club as well as the team.

19 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Eric Drysdale's tenure saw the club post an £80k loss the season we challenged for the Championship Title, with an extra 500 people watchingis each week. 

Plus a near 200 grand loss the following season, despite a live televised cup tie a,  replay at Tynecastle and two home derbies (including the New Year game) against the Pars. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

Eric Drysdale and his decisions have put the club back 10 years, he sucked all the feel good factor out of the club on his decision to appoint Gary feckin Locke, with the help of a board with no backbone, his end of tenure was an unmitigated disaster, and should not be forgotten.

1 minute ago, SuperHans said:

Was hardly his fault that the 'unsinkable' ship he was driving sank...

He steered it into a fucking iceberg.

in this analogy, the iceberg is Gary Locke.

35 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

When you put that beside the losses of the team that pipped is at the post that season, it puts it into a better prospective.

People can list his failings all day, at the end of the day he was still an employee of the club. If he had been so poor then why wasn't he sacked? A manager would have been for a lot less.

His tenure will always be looked upon as a failure but he was the guy running the club. We need someone else doing a similar (hopefully better) job in my opinion. No point in having a new BoD and a new owner without having someone there at the coal face every day keeping the place ticking over. Sim seemed to put an awful lot of responsibility on Barry Smith in his interview stating that he didn't know a lot of what was going on with the team. He also pleaded ignorant when it came to Callachan and more importantly, Bates and the dev fees.

Are we just supposed to all sit tight and let the new BoD make mistakes and then hold their hands up and say "whoops, we're still learning, hahaha."?

I'd like to see some kind of management put in place for the running of the club as well as the team.

Why was he never sacked?

He held a paid position and sat on the board.... why would he sanction sacking himself losing both his income and access to seats on various SFA committees?

We need someone filling the same role?

Maybe eventually, but bringing in an experienced football administrator would be an expensive outlay for a league 1 club. Is that justifiable at this point in time? Drysdale's salary could no longer be justified when we were relegated, what has changed? This is why Smith has had more responsibility- there is no middle man between him and the board. 

Are we supposed to sit tight and let the new board make mistakes?

Yes, if they are willing to learn, and improve along the way. In life / business / football, people / companies / clubs make mistakes. How you react and learn from your mistakes is the most important thing. Sim has already shown a willingness to acknowledge and learn from ones he's made. Compare that with the list of mistakes / poor decisions that could be attributed to Drysdale (and others) - blame was apportioned all over the place and  many poor decisions were never admitted to, or were made repeatedly.

56 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Is that not what Bill Clarke has just been put in to do? yes he has to learn, but he'll be doing it for very little.

What you are suggesting is employing a CEO. How much is that going to cost us? Someone with the level of management and footballing experience isn't going to do it for nothing! you'd be looking at £60-80k a year at the very least, unless they are semi retired, and a rovers fan!

19 hours ago, SuperHans said:

When they are putting their hand in their pockets for the tune of £600k to fund a new pitch, and another £250k-£300k to cover the cost of relegation and retaining full time football, I think we can and should cut them some slack for the time being.

Edited by GhostZapper

I worked with a guy once whose sole purpose was to create an aura around himself that he knew stuff that everyone else didn’t so that he became untouchable. So that everyone in the organisation thought ‘oh we can’t sack so and so because he’s got all that knowledge’.  Might be completely wrong but that was always the sense I got with Eric Drysdale. Boards just kept him there because of longevity and a perception that he they would be screwed if he went taking his knowledge of the SFA and the rules with him. The fact that the walls haven’t caved in this season on the organisational front is probably a good indication that we can do without him.  I’ve no doubt Eric was a good Rovers man and put in a lot of time at the club over the years but his name for me will forever be associated with Anelka, Locke, Ryan Stevenson in goals and grumpy statement blaming fans.  That’s not someone I’d want around the club going forward.