The New Raith Rovers Thread

Unfortunately I think we see just how much Ally Gourlay is missed with things like that. 

Anyway, happy with that list. Not a single player there did enough to stay so happy to see Smith wield the axe.

Edited by CALDERON

46 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Got to agree with you regarding Andy Mill, I’m a 200 club member and have always found him to be a really approachable guy who does a lot of work and has certainly done a brilliantly job with the 200 club. I’m happy to give him my vote.

Yes, I've got to agree, good spread of candidates though,  Andy is very approachable and has my vote, the 200 club is open to all before most games (you might have to be signed in and except huge games which might not be a lot this season!) and open to everyone after games, so at least you know where he is.      

Edited by Wildrover

Pretty happy with the clear out and if all those offered contracts sign. If not on a deal already I would have liked Mathews to be released - he has really not came on at all and had a very poor season. 

Mark Stewart :lol: f**k me I have had enough of 'strikers' who never score and don't link the game.  Terrible football player. 

Would agree with no thanks to Mark Stewart. We’ve just got rid of a few injury prone players and I’ve seen enough of his first touch and constantly getting caught offside to last me a lifetime.

However, I can understand the suggestion. I thought we missed a genuine speed merchant upfront last season. Someone with real pace to stretch defences either out wide or upfront (preferably both) would make a real difference to us I think.

Pretty happy with the clear out and if all those offered contracts sign. If not on a deal already I would have liked Mathews to be released - he has really not came on at all and had a very poor season. 
Mark Stewart :lol: f**k me I have had enough of 'strikers' who never score and don't link the game.  Terrible football player. 

Best description I ever saw of Mark Stewart was he’s a like a speedboat without a driver [emoji23]

Looking at the retained/released list further, I understand people saying Smith can finally put his stamp on the team. The worrying thing for me is he signed 6 of his own players on ‘permanent’ deals last season and 4 of them have been released and Buchanan would most likely have made that 5 had he not signed a 2 year deal.

If I wanted to be really harsh you could also include McHattie as Smith’s own signing who is also gone. 

A clear out was definitely required but it will require a serious step up in Smith’s recruitment to make it work. Fingers crossed he gets it right this season.

2 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Best description I ever saw of Mark Stewart was he’s a like a speedboat without a driver emoji23.png

Holy Christ, you're right! That absolutely describes him beautifully.

If you imagine him turning his run (obviously already offside), but his legs being replaced with a wee speedboat... 

I'm no even sure if he moves his arms when running which makes it even funnier.

p.s. it's a slow day at work...

I think a big thing to consider is actually who is available at the time. Fingers crossed there’s that “ball playing midfielder” out there. Maybe Smith will sign some Spanish players. Bound to be a great signing.

Slightly off topic, are we keeping the same home strip for next season? I was far to slow on getting it when it was released, and all XL’s were gone when I eventually went for it.

52 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Best description I ever saw of Mark Stewart was he’s a like a speedboat without a driver emoji23.png

I seen that on here once best ever description.

When he was having a good day he was painful to watch but got the job done, that goal against the pars for example.
The rest of the time it was. Run at nothing, offside, walk back, repeat.

With the new way offside is working I'd imagine he's even been caught offside in his own half now, I seem to remember a Dumbarton fan popping up on here to ask if Stewart understood the rule of if they were going to have to get a whiteboard out and draw it for him :)

43 minutes ago, Wardy said:

I think a big thing to consider is actually who is available at the time. Fingers crossed there’s that “ball playing midfielder” out there. Maybe Smith will sign some Spanish players. Bound to be a great signing.

That ball playing, late run into the box, 10 goal a season centre mid?

I'd settle for a midfield made of athletic, industrial types with one fat lazy b*****d with a wand of a left foot. A proper Scottish midfield.

The development squad is being merged into the first team, so we will only have one squad. 

I think I'd just punt it, tbh. Their league has been abolished so what is the point? 

Edited by Michael W

2 minutes ago, renton said:

That ball playing, late run into the box, 10 goal a season centre mid?

I'd settle for a midfield made of athletic, industrial types with one fat lazy b*****d with a wand of a left foot. A proper Scottish midfield.

Ryan McCord? 

If we are going to be playing direct football next season, we need a strong, energetic midfield that can push up the pitch and pick up the second balls. There is a way to play direct football and lumping it straight to the head to two big centre backs whilst our midfield stand back and watch the opposition collect the header, is not one of them.  

10 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The development squad is being merged into the first team, so we will only have one squad. 

I think I'd just punt it, tbh. Their league has been abolished so what is the point? 

I assumed this might be a subtle way of doing just that. 

I don’t think we’ve seen the same benefits of the Development set up, as we did from the youth teams McGlynn over saw. I think we really need to head back to the drawing board on that one.... and will probably be in a better position to do so once we have the new pitch down and have achieved promotion (as part of a new overall strategy for the club and its future) - whenever both of those things might be!

I’d read that Flood had been offered a coaching role at United but had turned it down, as he wanted to continue playing for as long as he could. I wonder if that has then left the way clear for Craig Easton to step in? Matthew Elder mentioned in his tweet that it was looking like he would be heading there - so I’d guess it’s nearly a done deal.

6 minutes ago, Nairney said:

I assumed this might be a subtle way of doing just that. 

I don’t think we’ve seen the same benefits of the Development set up, as we did from the youth teams McGlynn over saw. I think we really need to head back to the drawing board on that one.... and will probably be in a better position to do so once we have the new pitch down and have achieved promotion (as part of a new overall strategy for the club and its future) - whenever both of those things might be!

I’d read that Flood had been offered a coaching role at United but had turned it down, as he wanted to continue playing for as long as he could. I wonder if that has then left the way clear for Craig Easton to step in? Matthew Elder mentioned in his tweet that it was looking like he would be heading there - so I’d guess it’s nearly a done deal.

It doesn't help that players who typically show promise are sold at the first available opportunity, in fairness. 

Think Easton would be off regardless, he's done a great job and it's a much better opportunity for him.