The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Hard to argue with that. Possibly I'd have let one of Thomson/Davidson/Bene go on cost grounds, but no complaints. Between tbis and the team that started the second leg, I'm wondering if the club is in full "appease the fans" mode. 

Furtado is a shame, really - came in and looked a find, but ended up looking clumsy and slow. Too fond of fish suppers seems to be the prevailing rumour. 

Assuming the players offered contracts stay, we need: 

At least 2 wingers/wide midfielders (Matthews is NOT a wide player)

Cover at full back

1 x CM

1 (2 if possible) striker

I don't think the amount of players brought in will match the amount who've left. 

And a couple of keepers.....

On the assumption the players offered terms stay and no one comes in and nabs our current players contracted then, in terms of what would probably be first team players we're looking like this thus far:

GK: Brian?

Defence: Davo, Bene, Murray, McKay, Thomson

Midfield: Matthews, Robertson

Forwards: Buchanan, Vaughan

So new keeper needed (assuming Brian is still with us he's a stick on to being back up), cover for full back area, central midfielder, wide player x2 possibly, another striker x2 possibly.

Cannot see us bringing in 7 new faces in all honesty.

No complaints about that list from me. I think Thomson and Herron could’ve gone either way. Based on his recent performances Bene could have been a candidate for being released, but I’m pleased we’re looking to keep hold of him and give him an opportunity to get back to his best. 

Seeing the extent of the clearout Smith has opted for, I do wonder if he would’ve released Buchanan, if he had the opportunity?

Edited by Nairney
Autocorrect fail!

1 minute ago, renton said:

And a couple of keepers.....

Don't need them, as we're reliably informed by fans of every other team we'll skoosh the league by being full time. 

Bene/Davidson to alternate at playing sweeper 'keeper.

Seeing the extent of the clearout Smith has opted for, I do wonder if he would’ve released Buchanan, if he had the opportunity?

When we needed two goals against Alloa, Smith put Vaughan, Court, Furtado and Spence on the park ahead of him. Three are now gone.

I think that answers your question.

Not bothered about Furtado. Wasn't too surprised to see him lose his fitness when I saw him walking about the high street in Kirkcaldy with about 5 Kinder Buenoes in his hand. Made it unsurprising to see folk say he was a regular at Valentes on fan talk.  He'd be some player if he puts in the extra work and got himself sorted.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm a big fan of the fact you've been to that sort of game!

I just don't like Astro on a personal level. It's great at first, but after a year or so when it starts to get flat it becomes a nightmare to play on injuries wise. When you've got pros who can't play on it (Steven Maclean and Harry Davis for example) then that's sending warning signs out to me that it's not good for people's joints.

We went over for a Heerenveen match - it was just more out of luck we chose to stay in Leeuwarden as its a much bigger city, and Cambuur were playing - otherwise we would have went to Groningen.

Do Bayern and Arsenal not have some kind of hybrid plastic/grass pitches?

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

There's no doubt that these guys all have the club at heart and will undoubtedly do whatever they can. I don't know Andy but know who he is. My concern with him is that maybe he's too involved in the 200 Club. Would he be approachable for those who aren't members of the 200 Club? Will he be continuing his role at the 200 Club if he was elected?

When I was reading the candidates, this crossed my mind as well about both Andy from the 200 club and likewise, for Bill Gilby, when he mentions stuff about Rovers Down South kids tickets (only a small part of his statement)

These guys are taking up a position to represent all the fans groups, not their own groups. For me its important that they can be approached by all. Andy looks a very good candidate and his blurb was excellent, however, Is the 200 club not a closed membership (and in which case comes across as slightly cliquey), and would that make him slightly less approachable.  who knows - I'd certainly hope not as I'd be very inclined to voting for him.

If I do go through to the Q&A event, that would certainly be a question I'd like to ask - how these guys will seek the views of all supporters.... not just their own individual supporters group.

everyone seems happy about they players released (who took us to the wire on the last day )

but this could backfire big time , all these new faces coming in  , we could end up mid table !

time will tell .

1 hour ago, WSDR 88 said:

IMG_8590.jpg

Can't argue with much of this at all - does leave us down to the bare bones but fingers crossed that's because Smith has already been looking at players and has an idea of who he wants to bring in. Id have maybe kept Spence and maybe kept Furtado and maybe kept Lennox.... but not overly fussed either way. The 5 we've offered new terms to certainly deserve to be offered them.

Now lets see who comes in and hope it improves the key positions which required it.

42 minutes ago, Raithie said:

On the assumption the players offered terms stay and no one comes in and nabs our current players contracted then, in terms of what would probably be first team players we're looking like this thus far:

GK: Brian?

Defence: Davo, Bene, Murray, McKay, Thomson

Midfield: Matthews, Robertson

Forwards: Buchanan, Vaughan

So new keeper needed (assuming Brian is still with us he's a stick on to being back up), cover for full back area, central midfielder, wide player x2 possibly, another striker x2 possibly.

Cannot see us bringing in 7 new faces in all honesty.

Spot on with the 2 keepers, unless Smith has been impressed with Brian and see's him as a no2.

Watson can offer cover at full back, as could Murray, but I can definitely see us signing a left back

Midfield is where we nee the biggest overhaul! I see us needing 3 players in there at the very least

Vaughan, Buchanan and definitely at least 1 more, but probably 2

That's 7 or 8 in, but that's the bare minimum, and the least I would expect given we've released 10, and lost 2 loan players as well.  I'd imagine if we do bring in 7 or 8, we'd supplement that with another 1 or 2 loan signings, and run a squad of 1 or 2 less than last season.  

36 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Is the 200 club not a closed membership (and in which case comes across as slightly cliquey), and would that make him slightly less approachable. 

To be fair the 200 Club is only closed membership because of severe lack of space in the club.  In that regard it’s a victim of its own success. I’m not a 200 Club member but if you see what they created out of nothing despite the space restrictions then it’s an example to everyone.  Compare that to the utter shambles that is the club shop.  A lot of that is down to Andy Mill I suspect. He’s one of the most approachable guys around Starks. 

It’s good we’ve got 4 people going for this. Hustings should generate a good bit of debate 

Edited by roverthemoon

Murray would be a great signing if we can get him to stay. I'd maybe be tempted to let go either Davo, Robertson or Thomson but wouldn't be too surprised or disappointed if they stayed. Benedictus is a funny one for me as he clearly wasn't fit when he came back and it's obviously hard to get himself back 100% under the circumstances. I think if it came down to it then we need Bene or Davo not both.

Smiths at least building a nucleus and spine of a team here. That's what we missed last season. Good luck to him and I'm getting excited already.

32 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Dont get the letting Davidson go.Like him or not he was by far our best player last season and is more than capable of another season in this division

Agreed. I’ve never been a fan of Davidson and have to admit I was disappointed when he re-joined us. However, I was totally won over by him this season and thought he was head and shoulders above most of the team in terms of composure, attitude, commitment and just plain getting things done. Even when he lost his temper, it seemed to be down to sheer frustration rather than petulance (which it often was in the past).

The only thing he has against him is his age, but his fitness remains good - it might be more of a consideration had we been promoted. Fingers crossed a deal can be done.

I'm pretty sure we were in for Davo last preseason but I can't remember if it was Smith or Young that was after him, if it was Young perhaps an another offer to him may be on the table!!!