The New Raith Rovers Thread

The polls are now open for the election of the next Supporter-Director of RRFC.
Full details at http://www.raithrovers.net/35376/raith-rovers-fc-supporter-director-election.htm 
Eligible voters* will be receiving an email over the next 24 hours with details of how to vote online.
Those that have not submitted a working email address will receive a postal ballot in the next 3 - 5 working days.
The polls remain open for 2 and a half weeks, closing at 10pm on Friday 1st June.
* To vote in the RRFC Supporter-Director election voters must be current adult members of any of the Raith Forum groups (Jim McMillan Club, 200 Club, Supporters Club, Rovers Down South and Raith Supporters Trust) OR an adult Raith Rovers FC season ticket holder

I'm excited for this group of candidates. Having read through their profiles, I think Bill Gilby is the one that stands out. His profile sands out more and his professional experience seems a lot more than the others. The others kind of just tell a story about how they've supported the club and what they would like changed.

I don't think the supporters director on the BoD will have much of a say over anything major that's being decided but they will need to be much better than the last one. They have a chance to give the fans a voice in the running of the club and I'd hope that they can be approachable for supporters and be able to regularly update the fans on what's going on. Sitting in the directors box or the announcers cupboard every Saturday isn't being approachable in my eyes. These guys should be down in the concourse every home game and running Q&As regularly for supporters to get an insight on what's going on.

8 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I'm excited for this group of candidates. Having read through their profiles, I think Bill Gilby is the one that stands out. His profile sands out more and his professional experience seems a lot more than the others. The others kind of just tell a story about how they've supported the club and what they would like changed.

I don't think the supporters director on the BoD will have much of a say over anything major that's being decided but they will need to be much better than the last one. They have a chance to give the fans a voice in the running of the club and I'd hope that they can be approachable for supporters and be able to regularly update the fans on what's going on. Sitting in the directors box or the announcers cupboard every Saturday isn't being approachable in my eyes. These guys should be down in the concourse every home game and running Q&As regularly for supporters to get an insight on what's going on.

Absolutely agree - what forum has been in place for previous supporters directors to speak to the fans and represent their views, not just from the small supporters groups, but from the wider support, season ticket holders etc.

43 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

One of the best game of fitba I've seen this season was over in the Netherlands - 2nd Division game, SC Cambuur v FC Emmen - on a synthetic surfrace, but the fast paced passing play was brilliant to watch. The ball moved perfectly over the surface, no dodgy bounces, - almost a perfect surface to play on.  The temperature that night was minus 7 - guaranteed had that been played on grass, it would have been postponed! I think the new modern style of the synthetic surfaces are much much better these days, and we need to give it a chance, and at the end of the day, give the club a better chance of survival.

I'm a big fan of the fact you've been to that sort of game!

I just don't like Astro on a personal level. It's great at first, but after a year or so when it starts to get flat it becomes a nightmare to play on injuries wise. When you've got pros who can't play on it (Steven Maclean and Harry Davis for example) then that's sending warning signs out to me that it's not good for people's joints.

9 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm a big fan of the fact you've been to that sort of game!

I just don't like Astro on a personal level. It's great at first, but after a year or so when it starts to get flat it becomes a nightmare to play on injuries wise. When you've got pros who can't play on it (Steven Maclean and Harry Davis for example) then that's sending warning signs out to me that it's not good for people's joints.

Amazed someone who has played football for 20+ years can blame a surface that they played on for less that a quarter of that time, for any joint issues.

loads of ex players out there with new knees and hips that never went near a ‘plastic’ pitch 

28 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I'm obviously biased but Andy Mill is perfect for the role. 

Already well known to hundreds of Rovers supporters who know how approachable he is. Has overseen the 200 club resurgence, turning it into a fantastic resource for the football club and is already hands on at the club on a voluntary basis outwith his 200 club duties. 

It's great that we have four fantastic candidates but having seen the way Andy goes about things first hand, he's the supporter I'd like to be successful this time. 

I'm obviously biased but Andy Mill is perfect for the role. 
Already well known to hundreds of Rovers supporters who know how approachable he is. Has overseen the 200 club resurgence, turning it into a fantastic resource for the football club and is already hands on at the club on a voluntary basis outwith his 200 club duties. 
It's great that we have four fantastic candidates but having seen the way Andy goes about things first hand, he's the supporter I'd like to be successful this time. 

There's no doubt that these guys all have the club at heart and will undoubtedly do whatever they can. I don't know Andy but know who he is. My concern with him is that maybe he's too involved in the 200 Club. Would he be approachable for those who aren't members of the 200 Club? Will he be continuing his role at the 200 Club if he was elected?

34 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Amazed someone who has played football for 20+ years can blame a surface that they played on for less that a quarter of that time, for any joint issues.

loads of ex players out there with new knees and hips that never went near a ‘plastic’ pitch 

Obviously there were issues in the old days too. But existing injuries tend to flare up on plastic pitches, hence why guys like Maclean and Davis won't play on them. It tends to be a precautionary measure. Danny Handling at ourselves didn't know if he'd be able to play at TNS for example until he'd had a run on their Astro.

When I was at the physio last year he said that he's seeing a lot more knee and hip problems in younger footballers nowadays, and he puts that down to Astro. 

Personally I can't manage it because of the amount of additional impact it puts on my knee, and the fact that my back gets really bad. Both of those are old injuries though, and I don't seem to have been built very well so I guess it depends on the individual!

Stephen Dobbie is no spring chicken, and he's not had any issues playing on it at Palmerston for the past few years.

Anyway, merely a personal thing. There are quite a few Astro pitches in L1 next season now. In fact grass are now in the minority (Yourselves, Forfar, Montrose, Airdrie, East Fife, Stenny).

11 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

There's no doubt that these guys all have the club at heart and will undoubtedly do whatever they can. I don't know Andy but know who he is. My concern with him is that maybe he's too involved in the 200 Club. Would he be approachable for those who aren't members of the 200 Club? Will he be continuing his role at the 200 Club if he was elected?

I don't know what Andy's intentions are regarding the 200 club. 

He's an approachable person all round just now. That wouldn't change if he was successful in applying for this role. 

Just now, Raithie said:

Geezo that's some re-build we've got on our hands.

In fairness, Osei and Thorsen never really played for us bar the latter having two challenge cup games, and neither keeper impressed. I liked Furtardo and Herron but both had fitness issues (of different sorts). If the players we've asked to stay on do so, we'd be building from a fairly mean defence over the season, and rebuilding the midfield completely with some further work required up top.

The released and retained is interesting. I think it’s pretty much spot on. The only ones I’d maybe do differently is retain Furtado and release Thomson, but then both are borderline decisions. I can see the argument for both.

I’m encouraged that Barry Smith is at least making good calls here. If we re-sign those in talks then we have the core of a decent squad. It’s all about who he adds though.

Only complaint is Buchanan but then that was a mistake made last summer.

Might’ve considered letting Thomson and one of Davidson/Bene go (nothing personal, just to use the budget elsewhere given we’d also have Murray and McKay) but then I guess it’s a big enough rebuild coming without adding a few more to the equation.

Nine players left, five of whom are defenders. Good.

6 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

IMG_8590.jpg

Mostly happy with the players offered new deals. I'm surprised Thomson has been offered a new deal. He is average at this level, a decent attacking threat at set plays but his distribution and all round technique is appalling. 

Thought Herron had more to offer but imagine he was on a decent wage, so no issue there. Big rebuilding job ahead, will be exciting to see some new faces and a freshness to the squad. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

Would've kept Furtardo, but other than that, it's definitely the major surgery I'd have hoped for.

Exactly this. Although I would have kept him based on potential I can understand Furtado. He only ever showed it in flashes for us and his performances have dropped over the last couple months. 

Pleasantly surprised by what appears to be a good sized clear out. I don’t normally like to be too harsh on individuals but I’m pretty relieved I won’t see McHattie, Barr and Smith in Rovers shirts again. 

2 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Exactly this. Although I would have kept him based on potential I can understand Furtado. He only ever showed it in flashes for us and his performances have dropped over the last couple months. 

Pleasantly surprised by what appears to be a good sized clear out. I don’t normally like to be too harsh on individuals but I’m pretty relieved I won’t see McHattie, Barr and Smith in Rovers shirts again. 

Agreed. Hopefully this clear out removes the yellow streak from the squad. 

Presumably the Furtado decision was made for us, given his situation? Whoever signs him needs to pay a development fee. He’s been playing as an amateur on ‘expenses’ for us, has he not?

Herron isn’t a bad player but pleased we’re not taking a punt again given his injury record. He’ll be like Craig Barr and be ever-present for his next club, no doubt.

Hard to argue with that. Possibly I'd have let one of Thomson/Davidson/Bene go on cost grounds, but no complaints. Between tbis and the team that started the second leg, I'm wondering if the club is in full "appease the fans" mode. 

Furtado is a shame, really - came in and looked a find, but ended up looking clumsy and slow. Too fond of fish suppers seems to be the prevailing rumour. 

Assuming the players offered contracts stay, we need: 

At least 2 wingers/wide midfielders (Matthews is NOT a wide player)

Cover at full back

1 x CM

1 (2 if possible) striker

I don't think the amount of players brought in will match the amount who've left.