The New Raith Rovers Thread

I was one of those who overreacted but I've calmed down quite a bit. Still don't like the idea after the season past but there you go.

This time last season Smith got his priorities all wrong when he went for Spence and Buchanan instead of a decent goalkeeper. If we'd had one last season we'd have been promoted, simples.

Neil Parry's been mentioned but he's part time and unlikely to give up his work at HMRC.

McCallum at Forfar is contracted to 2020.

Any ideas?

Have I been watching a different team all these years? Going by the comments it seems we've went from playing like Barcelona to playing like East Fife all because of Smith. Weve been boring to watch for years.

Personally I will need to see some sort of acknowledgement that this season wasn't good enough from Smith. I accept he's unlikely to come out and say as much but what he does in terms of contract renewals will at least tell us something about how he viewed last season.
If he changes a few things around then that will at least give me some hope for next season but as things stand there is no reason to look forward to next season at all.

1 hour ago, Panda Pies said:
2 hours ago, Beachbum said:
And rightly so. Imagine putting an expensive surface down and the following week the place gets condemned. emoji38.png

Supposedly the cost of install to the cost of income was poor. Also it's shit, killie are ripping there's up soon.

Killie are keepng theres for another season at least

I get the logic of this post and others along the same lines in this thread, in that realistically if you just repeat this season you'll be fine and more than likely end up winning the league.
However, while it's not entirely analogous, you can look at Dunfermline fans in the summer of 2014. They'd finished second to Rangers, comfortably clear of the part-time sides, if they just stuck with what they had despite their playoff setback and supplemented their squad with a few of the best part-timers in the division they'd be fine. There was nothing really wrong with their previous season after all, they just had unusually strong opposition, much like Raith had an unusually high points total for runners up and were a post away from winning the league.
Of course, Dunfermline never recovered from the demoralising end to the previous season, they only got weaker with their on paper obvious additions to the squad to the extent that Jefferies was sacked in December sitting 4th in the league, before they compounded it with another bad appointment and ended up 7th.
Just as there are no guarantees with any new managerial appointments and you can argue for the devil you know on that basis, there's no guarantee you're not going to go backwards under Smith either.
Couldn't agree more. The argument of "but for this and that we would've been promoted" is flawed in so many ways. If we didn't have Ayr in the league we might have gone up, we might have still finished 2nd, but at the end of the day at did and no matter how you sugarcoat it that the width of a post or whatever it doesn't change what happened. You could go and look at every club in the country and come up with similar scenarios.

Just because we are going to be the only full time side next season in absolutely no way guarantees success. We had the chance 2 or 3 times this season to push on and take advantage over Ayr but failed against these part time sides we're now apparently going to walk over next season. The point being that Smith not only failed to demonstrate this season but also in previous seals with previous clubs that he doesn't have that it takes to bring success. Add that the fact his football is horrendous to watch and I will not change my opinion on him.

I hope that I am proved completely wrong next season but nothing over the past 10 months shows to me that that will happen.

Personally I will need to see some sort of acknowledgement that this season wasn't good enough from Smith. I accept he's unlikely to come out and say as much but what he does in terms of contract renewals will at least tell us something about how he viewed last season.

I can see the merit in this (however unlikely) think the 1st month or so will let us see what hid approach is going to be. I really hope that he can see what went wrong last season and go one of two ways, either spending the summer training us to get the ball on the deck or he changes the personnel up top and has big boys like furtado and court up there with vaughan supporting. Zannata and hendry need replaced.

The biggest problem we could face is if Smith does win the league how would the board justify not extending his contract then? He hasn't impressed in league one so the likelihood of him doing it in the championship seems slim.

21 minutes ago, grumswall said:

The biggest problem we could face is if Smith does win the league how would the board justify not extending his contract then? He hasn't impressed in league one so the likelihood of him doing it in the championship seems slim.

12 month contract extension 

This was a concern of mine this season when we had it in our hands and then there was the chance of winning the playoffs.

He'll surly be looking at getting his contract extended half way through next season. As you've said, how can you say no to someone who's performing well? I suppose the BoD could play it cool and offer him something lower than he'd likely want to accept. However, we don't know how next season will pan out. 75-80 points with a better style of football and this season might all be forgotten about. People will be queuing at the door to get a new season ticket.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I get the logic of this post and others along the same lines in this thread, in that realistically if you just repeat this season you'll be fine and more than likely end up winning the league.

However, while it's not entirely analogous, you can look at Dunfermline fans in the summer of 2014. They'd finished second to Rangers, comfortably clear of the part-time sides, if they just stuck with what they had despite their playoff setback and supplemented their squad with a few of the best part-timers in the division they'd be fine. There was nothing really wrong with their previous season after all, they just had unusually strong opposition, much like Raith had an unusually high points total for runners up and were a post away from winning the league.

Of course, Dunfermline never recovered from the demoralising end to the previous season, they only got weaker with their on paper obvious additions to the squad to the extent that Jefferies was sacked in December sitting 4th in the league, before they compounded it with another bad appointment and ended up 7th.

Just as there are no guarantees with any new managerial appointments and you can argue for the devil you know on that basis, there's no guarantee you're not going to go backwards under Smith either.

Come on for my nightly, silent gloat and get met with this?!?!

Absolutely spot on though.

9 hours ago, grumswall said:

Scrape winning the league, or promotion through the play-offs, and then can justify not renewing his contract by saying that the progress this season hasn't been enough to show that he could keep us up in the Championship.

I'd rather worry about winning the league though rather than worrying how not to renew his contract!

IMG_1525940712.991361.jpg

IMG_1525940723.277068.jpg

IMG_1525940731.618528.jpg

Happier times. Hopefully Barry Smith, along with our new artificial pitch and some new players, will have us challenging for the league again. Best of luck to Barry.

Just need to come up with a good hashtag and it’s in the bag. Any suggestions?

#roaringback2

#thistimeitspersonal

#wereallymeanitthistime

#fuckinggetusuporwerefucked

#plasticroversgoballisticeastfifeareatrocious

#forcebarrysmithtodothatgrimacesmile

Now the dust has settled around recent news, I’ve calmed a bit and feel a bit more level headed about it. I’d still rather Smith had moved on, but now it’s set in stone that he’s staying we probably need to all get behind him and get everyone going in the same direction. My new season’s resolution is to be more positive - after a long summer of not thinking about Raith Rovers. Maybe I’ll buy a season ticket after all.

37 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Would suit Smith's style but further confirmation if needed that we're going to be awful to watch next season.

Hearing Spence is away to Arbroath as well.

That's been doing the rounds for a while?