The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Glad you acknowledge we're a Premiership-sized club. Most of your fellow supporters get annoyed about the wee team jibes but it's all relative.

The last time any Rovers fan got wound up about the wee team jibe was in 1998

It’s only been a day since I heard Barry Smith was continuing as manager and I’m over the news already.

Hopefully he can make us a bit better to watch and stop shelling long balls to the likes of Liam Buchanan but I won’t hold my breath.

By June I’ll probably be up for a season ticket again.

Football fans really are prize mugs.

Does this generation of artificial pitches still have those wee black balls?

Depends, some of them do, but I’m pretty certain the high end quality ones don’t, and are required to be brushed.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Glad you acknowledge we're a Premiership-sized club. Most of your fellow supporters get annoyed about the wee team jibes but it's all relative.

It really annoys you lot that we never refer to you lot being the big team for the simple reason your NOT a big club now go away

Some people stating the Rovers are desperate because they are flogging turf for a fiver, Hats off to BOD they are only trying to earn extra cash for the club what’s wrong with that? The turf is Just going to be dumped so why not try and make some extra coin!

Depends, some of them do, but I’m pretty certain the high end quality ones don’t, and are required to be brushed.

I'm no expert but our pitch has them and it was high end. We've not had it too long so maybe they are made without them now. A b*****d when a pellet goes in your eye.

Some people stating the Rovers are desperate because they are flogging turf for a fiver, Hats off to BOD they are only trying to earn extra cash for the club what’s wrong with that? The turf is Just going to be dumped so why not try and make some extra coin!

Are folk genuinely claiming that?! [emoji38] Queens did the same thing but it was £10 a square metre. They even went further and auctioned off specific areas such as the penalty spots and the spot where Ryan McCann scored from 84 yards. It's far from desperate. I'm sure plenty of Rovers fans with a garden would have enquired about getting a piece had it not been suggested anyway (I know I would have went Palmerston was ripped up).

And rightly so. Imagine putting an expensive surface down and the following week the place gets condemned. [emoji38]
Supposedly the cost of install to the cost of income was poor. Also it's shit, killie are ripping there's up soon.

The same company putting our pitch down are also laying Livi's. As Livi are in the playoffs they're doing ours first and it'll be finished before the start of the season. Livi looking like they're going to have the play the first set of games next soon away from home.

22 hours ago, Enigma said:

I think there’s a few overreactions here to be frank, as Paco said this side earned the highest points tally to not win this league. McGlynn took us up with less points, as did Calderon.

The fact of the matter is there were two full time teams this season and one of us was always going to win it, next season it’s only us that will remain full time and we finished streets ahead of the part time teams. Sacking Barry would clearly cost us, perhaps money we can’t afford and there’s no guarantee whoever comes in isn’t going to be a disaster, it’s a case of better the devil you know here. If we can replace some of the shite in this squad with some semi-competent players we’ll be absolutely fine. Part time football and a new manager could see a repeat of the Dalziel season down here.

Pretty much Barry & FT football > ??? & PT football

I get the logic of this post and others along the same lines in this thread, in that realistically if you just repeat this season you'll be fine and more than likely end up winning the league.

However, while it's not entirely analogous, you can look at Dunfermline fans in the summer of 2014. They'd finished second to Rangers, comfortably clear of the part-time sides, if they just stuck with what they had despite their playoff setback and supplemented their squad with a few of the best part-timers in the division they'd be fine. There was nothing really wrong with their previous season after all, they just had unusually strong opposition, much like Raith had an unusually high points total for runners up and were a post away from winning the league.

Of course, Dunfermline never recovered from the demoralising end to the previous season, they only got weaker with their on paper obvious additions to the squad to the extent that Jefferies was sacked in December sitting 4th in the league, before they compounded it with another bad appointment and ended up 7th.

Just as there are no guarantees with any new managerial appointments and you can argue for the devil you know on that basis, there's no guarantee you're not going to go backwards under Smith either.