The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Calayrdonia said:

I just keep thinking back to when I was walking out the Excelsior, staring at my phone on the way back to the car and seeing it turn to full time with Arbroath 1 - Raith 1. I can’t believe where things are now.

You guys must be half in shock and half in disbelief that you’re actually going to the last home game of your season to watch your team lift the trophy. 

Just still can’t believe it.

The very fact that I left Gayfield 100% convinced it was all over, only two weeks ago, means that I am taking absolutely nothing for granted.

Its a bit hypocritical of me and other Rovers fans, as some of us conceded this league a long time ago, but with how things have gone this season even one game is a long way to go.

However I'm more surprised we have went on a consistent winning run to be honest, that's as much to do with us being top as anything.  We didn't look like doing that at all after our defeat at Somerset.

There's a job to be done and unless it's done I certainly will be taking nothing for granted.

The very fact that I left Gayfield 100% convinced it was all over, only two weeks ago, means that I am taking absolutely nothing for granted.
Its a bit hypocritical of me and other Rovers fans, as some of us conceded this league a long time ago, but with how things have gone this season even one game is a long way to go.
However I'm more surprised we have went on a consistent winning run to be honest, that's as much to do with us being top as anything.  We didn't look like doing that at all after our defeat at Somerset.
There's a job to be done and unless it's done I certainly will be taking nothing for granted.

I posted in another thread about the pressure, but do rovers fans think that maybe the fact the pressure was off, in a way, after you felt it had gone was maybe a good thing? Ayr have shown in the last two weeks we can’t hack the pressure, especially Sunday and Raith blew a comfortable lead at the top as well?

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

I know you can never be 100% sure and I admire your cautious approach. However you are where you are because your home record is flawless. I think even the most optimistic Ayr fan will deep down admit that Raith being at home to win the title against an Alloa side who have a semi final play off just 3 days later and undoubtedly will have injuries and suspensions in mind (rightly so) have all but got both hands on the trophy. 

I know there has been twists and turns but you genuinely get a feeling when you’ve had your last chance. I don’t even think it will be an exciting final day. I think Raith will go up early and win comfortably by two goals. It’s the most likely outcome if we are all honest.

Just now, super_carson said:

I posted in another thread about the pressure, but do rovers fans think that maybe the fact the pressure was off, in a way, after you felt it had gone was maybe a good thing? Ayr have shown in the last two weeks we can’t hack the pressure, especially Sunday and Raith blew a comfortable lead at the top as well?

We've won 5 from 6 after failing to second place, and won 6 from 7 in second place after our defeat to Ayr in November. We have been far more consistent with the pressure off.

Saturday will be interesting that's for sure. 

We've won 5 from 6 after failing to second place, and won 6 from 7 in second place after our defeat to Ayr in November. We have been far more consistent with the pressure off.
Saturday will be interesting that's for sure. 

It’s the only hope I have to cling to. Winning is a good habit though, I just hope something goes horrendously wrong for you guys (nothing personal, honest!)

It’s definitely worth noting that if Ayr win on Saturday and we either win or draw, the runner up will have the highest points tally without winning the third tier since reconstruction in 1995. The current highest tally was set by a certain Ayr United in 2009, with 74 points not being good enough to beat Raith on 76. Currently 74-73 in our favour.

The majority of ‘big’ clubs that have won this title in the past few seasons - Rangers, Dunfermline, QoS, Livi, Morton - have done so with effectively no competition. Morton pipped part-time Stranraer and Forfar sides who performed very well, but that apart while there have been some exceptional seasons in there, the winning club won by a mile and had no full-time opposition.

So it’s a bit unfortunate for both of us that we’ve ended up in this league together. You’d suspect if Brechin had been in this league in place of either ourselves or Ayr, the other would’ve strolled it.

If there's a theme to this season, it's failing to cope with pressure. Both Ayr and the Rovers have thrown away eight point leads, at different times.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122] Great observation there... I'm sure that kind of attitude is precisely what the players and management are thinking right now too.

the team need to get the ball on the deck on Saturday and play like they can. 

Any of this launching it forward shite and we're done for.

In act Any c**t that starts that should be publicly knee capped in the centre circle as a warning.

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

It’s the only hope I have to cling to. Winning is a good habit though, I just hope something goes horrendously wrong for you guys (nothing personal, honest!)

None taken. 

To be honest you can be assured that to a man we have all been wishing the same on Ayr for the last month or so, not for one moment (well until Alloa scored) daring to believe that it could actually happen. But it has and who knows lightning may strike more than once, after the wacky events of the last 2 seasons nothing can be ruled out.

10 minutes ago, pub car king said:

In act Any c**t that starts that should be publicly knee capped in the centre circle as a warning.

Ah a wee job for Armagh and Belfast Rovers?

16 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I  remember what humour was pre 22/04/2018. Those were the days.

Don't worry I'm sure one day football will make you smile again........ just forgive me for hoping it's not this Saturday.

I would agree with you there based on the unattractiveness of that style of play. However, it has been our 'Plan A' for most of the season and we've found ourselves top of the league.

I think there is an argument for passing and moving the ball on the deck but teams have set up against us this season by sitting in and trying not to lose. So punting it long just keeps the ball in their half and keeps it as wave after wave of a relentless attack. There is a time and a place for tippy, tappy fancy football and when we play it, it looks good and when it works it's even better but a centre back constantly under aerial threat and attackers running at him with the midfield in support keeps pressure on. Full time fitness and discipline on top of that and that's what's got us to where we are.

Our only issue this season is when Plan A hadn't worked our Plan B has been to try Plan A again.

8 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I would agree with you there based on the unattractiveness of that style of play. However, it has been our 'Plan A' for most of the season and we've found ourselves top of the league.

I think there is an argument for passing and moving the ball on the deck but teams have set up against us this season by sitting in and trying not to lose. So punting it long just keeps the ball in their half and keeps it as wave after wave of a relentless attack. There is a time and a place for tippy, tappy fancy football and when we play it, it looks good and when it works it's even better but a centre back constantly under aerial threat and attackers running at him with the midfield in support keeps pressure on. Full time fitness and discipline on top of that and that's what's got us to where we are.

Our only issue this season is when Plan A hadn't worked our Plan B has been to try Plan A again.

Oh aye. Read a few of your posts, are you Drysdale in "disguise"?

Oh aye. Read a few of your posts, are you Drysdale in "disguise"?

Yes I am. What's your problem?

When they stopped me from using the Raith Twitter account I thought that in between my SNP Councillor duties and helping run Dundee FC into the ground, I'd have a go at making sure all the Raith Rovers fans were 100% pissed off at me. One of the ways I've been doing this is defending the 'long ball' tactics that have been adopted by Barry Smith.

Hope this clears things up for you. Have a wonderful Tuesday.

I don’t care how we play on Saturday as long as the end result is a win

Wave after wave of high balls is meat and drink to almost all of the teams in this league as everyone seems to have monstrous centre halves. It was pointed out to me recently that Arbroath were set up well against us in that when they lumped it forward their midfield immediately pushed up looking for the 2nd ball thus keeping us on the back foot. Not a tactic that seems to have occurred to our coaches.

Keeping it on the deck and passing through a tiring team is a great idea as is getting that early goal is to stop a team sitting in but it's getting into that position that's key.

An early goal for us on Saturday would go a long way to getting us over the line, the opposite just doesn't bear thinking about.

Wave after wave of high balls is meat and drink to almost all of the teams in this league as everyone seems to have monstrous centre halves. It was pointed out to me recently that Arbroath were set up well against us in that when they lumped it forward their midfield immediately pushed up looking for the 2nd ball thus keeping us on the back foot. Not a tactic that seems to have occurred to our coaches.
Keeping it on the deck and passing through a tiring team is a great idea as is getting that early goal is to stop a team sitting in but it's getting into that position that's key.
An early goal for us on Saturday would go a long way to getting us over the line, the opposite just doesn't bear thinking about.

Well there's been plenty of complaints from fans all season about our 'hoof it' mentality and we're top of the league with a game to go and an unbeaten home record.

Arbroaths tactics against us are essentially what we've been doing to teams. The biggest problems we've had this season has been a weak midfield who struggled to get the second balls. If there's 2 banks of 4 set up in front then passing the ball around the park is just keeping possession and running the clock down unless you can break the line.

I don't particularly like it myself but games like the East Fife home game and Albion Rovers at home show that keeping the ball in the opponents half and constantly running at them will eventually pay off. Forfar away was a great example of passing it about and getting nowhere. When we eventually shat ourselves at 2-0 down and went long and pressed we got the goal back but it was too little too late.

It's nice to think that we have what it takes to play silky football with the ball on the ground and when we have it's worked but we need the game to be much more open for that style to work. When you've got players sitting in and getting in the way and congesting the pitch, you've just got to go ugly and break them down.