The New Raith Rovers Thread

Some of the real grass pitches around Scotland are in a shocking state right now to be honest. That and the fact postponements any time from Nov to April are a real possibility makes the argument for plastic a bit stronger to be honest.

Worst pitches I've seen this season have been grass.

Edited by CALDERON

What’s our record like on plastic? I’d reckon it must compare favourably to our away form on grass. Do Forfar have a plastic pitch? That’s the only defeat I can think of.

Hopefully it doesn’t affect our outstanding home form and we can get accustomed to it quickly.

Edited by R.R.FC

Accustomed to it quickly? We train on the stuff every day. As well as the standard of artificial pitch going down at San Starko is far superior to what’s at Michael Woods.
Anyway, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m all for the artificial pitch.

Assuming we’re in the play-offs our final match will be May 5th or May 12th/13th. We’ll need to host a League Cup match by July 17th at the very latest.

Can the pitch be ripped up, any building work completed (it was mentioned before that the pitch needs widened) and an artificial one installed, tested and be in a playable state in two months?

Feels very rushed to me. That’s without considering any necessary building works for changing facilities, etc - so likely there would be no community hire for the first season.

I’m not massively sold on the whole thing so maybe I’m looking at it negatively. But it seems like we might be trying to move a bit too quickly here...

Assuming we’re in the play-offs our final match will be May 5th or May 12th/13th. We’ll need to host a League Cup match by July 17th at the very latest.

Can the pitch be ripped up, any building work completed (it was mentioned before that the pitch needs widened) and an artificial one installed, tested and be in a playable state in two months?

Feels very rushed to me. That’s without considering any necessary building works for changing facilities, etc - so likely there would be no community hire for the first season.

I’m not massively sold on the whole thing so maybe I’m looking at it negatively. But it seems like we might be trying to move a bit too quickly here...

How long does it take to get an artificial pitch down? Two months seems like loads of time but I have absolutely no idea.

Guess you would want some friendlies on it before the league cup games too.

The pitch at Bayview was laid in 7 weeks from start to finish . From what I understand there is a lot more earth moving to be done at Starks than at Bayview though. It is achievable but very very tight

1 hour ago, WSDR 88 said:

Accustomed to it quickly? We train on the stuff every day. As well as the standard of artificial pitch going down at San Starko is far superior to what’s at Michael Woods.
Anyway, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m all for the artificial pitch.

You do realise that training and playing a match are entirely different? And as you’ve acknowledged in your same post the pitch at Starks will be different to Michael Woods.

Much like grass pitches, different artificial pitches can have totally different feels. Starting the season on plastic pitch which has only just been installed and we won’t have even played any friendlies on is an undeniable disadvantage to the norm and will definitely take a period to get used to.

However, that’s the short term view and only a small gripe. Long term it will be a benefit to us. I would like to think it has been researched thoroughly and they have already made contact with clubs/groups who have indicated they would be regular users. Not only will it help increase income through the week it will allow us to bring Community and Kids groups to Starks Park on a regular basis which can only be a good thing. 

Would playing the League Cup games somewhere else be an option to give another month? Wouldn't be the first team to do it (I think Falkirk played at Airdrie or Clyde for a group game) - the question would be where we could.

11 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Perhaps one day we'll actually find out who's paying for the damn thing. Hopefully this sum isn't being borrowed against the club. 

Did we get any grants? 

Nah, we sacked him in 2015.

Would playing the League Cup games somewhere else be an option to give another month? Wouldn't be the first team to do it (I think Falkirk played at Airdrie or Clyde for a group game) - the question would be where we could.

East Fife would be the obvious option.

However, to lose out on money from home friendlies and then home cup ties would be a bit of a dent in the budget, I would’ve thought. The claim has always been that the pitch doesn’t impact the playing budget...

5 hours ago, Paco said:

Do you seriously think this is going to happen in time for next season if at all?

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

Was there not some chat that it came to light there was a lot of work required around the perimeter of the pitch? something to do with the 'run off' which was posing a bit of an issue?

There was