The New Raith Rovers Thread

You could be right Varna. So far we mainly seem to draw on a pool of local or supporter owned / run businesses and organisations for our hospitality, advertising, sponsorship. Would we manage to pull in new blood with better facilities? Possibly but it's not guaranteed. My point was mainly that while income is lower from community use, it's reliable (as long as the users are happy!). Corporate events can generate larger fees, on an individual / one-off basis, but can be sporadic and effected by numerous factors outwith a venues control (the economy, location, budget etc etc), plus they come with higher overheads. Certainly essential, as you say to have marketing and pricing structure in place to sell it as a corporate event space but not advisable to rely solely on that market anymore.

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 00:31, Zen Archer said:

There were a few strangers in the visitors directors box tonight.

At first I thought they were Janet Street Porter, Dwayne Dibley and Bingo from the Banana Splits, but it turned out to be the Campbell clan visiting from Arbroath.

Looks like Dwayne will be spending a lot more time in the box.

Dick Campbell: Arbroath boss gets seven-game ban for confronting referee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42995153

£100k a year does sound like an excessive estimate. However there has been significant investment in drainage and relaying of the pitch over recent years. If you add to that the ongoing cyclical costs of maintaining grass and the cost of a couple of postponements a year then the annual cost of the grass pitch could be a significant 5 figure sum.

I'm not sure. I'm all for artificial surfaces but I'm of the opinion that Starks Park as a whole is a huge drain on our resources. I would prefer us to be making plans to relocate to a stadium that was far more accessible, fit for purpose and maintainable on the whole. I know this would require significant investment but bloody hell, we're about to spunk a cool half million on a pitch!

Edited by Double Jack D

9 hours ago, Nairney said:

You could be right Varna. So far we mainly seem to draw on a pool of local or supporter owned / run businesses and organisations for our hospitality, advertising, sponsorship. Would we manage to pull in new blood with better facilities? Possibly but it's not guaranteed. My point was mainly that while income is lower from community use, it's reliable (as long as the users are happy!). Corporate events can generate larger fees, on an individual / one-off basis, but can be sporadic and effected by numerous factors outwith a venues control (the economy, location, budget etc etc), plus they come with higher overheads. Certainly essential, as you say to have marketing and pricing structure in place to sell it as a corporate event space but not advisable to rely solely on that market anymore.

Agreed Nairney only a fool would put all his eggs in one basket

10 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Increasing the use of the stadium isn’t new, my grandpa used to go to see Bob Methven at Starks Park for physio on his knees in the late 70’s

Must have been hard on the knees!:whistle

Edited by embow

Our ground was pretty much screwed by the old 10k seats rule the SPL forced on Scottish football to suit the ugly sisters fans.

I like the quirky main stand but as mentioned it generates little income. In a perfect world with unlimited funds I’d rebuild the stadiums to hold around 6000-7000 with two terraced ends.

Reality is unless we’re in the top division the 3 stands more than covers our needs for attendances. The Railway stand is utterly redundant and the only option is something like Sims idea of turning it into corporate as I can’t see it being used as seating again.

Did they not change that rule a year or so after we built our stadium to make 6,000 instead of 10? A 6,000 stadium would have been ideal even now for the crowds we pull in.

I like the idea of using the railway stands for community stuff, there is always plenty of groups being set up in the town especially for mothers/toddlers, definitely worth looking into.

With the plastic pitch it will be hard to say how much revenue it will generate, as someone has already mentioned we have 3 high schools in kirkcaldy all with the same type of pitches in place already that we will have to compete with.

I know east fife gets used for kids football training a few nights a week. If we could tap into that part of our community it would generate some form of income as well.

Forgive the pedantry, but Sinton's now saying in the FFP that "there must be at least 15 SPFL teams" with plastic pitches - up from "14 or 15" earlier this week. Who are the two (or more) clubs who have installed pitches within seven days? I know he's Sim's puppet but he needs to find a story and stick to it.

I'm not a fan of plastic pitches and would question the business case for needing one in Kirkcaldy - as that seems to be a major part of the push for it. I'd be focusing more on developing corporate boxes in the Railway Stand like Dunfermline have at the front of their main stand.

I also wonder what impact it might have in attracting players who have maybe had knee/ankle injuries before. Steven Naismith said this week he ruled out returning to Killie because of their pitch and his previous cruciate problems. Can you imagine Lewis having a recurrence of his injury on day one of the new season because of the pitch?

Even something as simple as a cafe bar, run properly, could be a money spinner. 

We have a high school with over 1800 pupils within spitting distance of the ground. 

I know Dunnikier golf club gets  a fair bit of weekday trade from Kirkcaldy High School pupils at lunchtime and the ice rink cafe now opens on weekdays to capture the trade from the new Viewforth High School. 

Hopefully there's a bit of potential trade from those playing on the astroturf at night. 

I have one major concern about every single suggestion regarding bringing in additional revenue. They are all in principle good ideas which have the potential to work IF IMPLEMENTED AND PROMOTED AND MARKETED PROPERLY.

Does anyone think that the club is geared up commercially to capitalise on any of these ideas at the moment? As someone mentioned they can’t sell the space they currently have. We have advertising gaps and players currently unsponsored and that’s before you even consider the retail function of the club. Woeful. 

It seems as if the club are taking a ‘if we build it they will come’ approach. The reality is they won’t. They will need persuaded and we need to have the people in-house who can do that successfully. Current evidence suggests it’s not just the pitch and facilities that will require an overhaul. 

Edited by roverthemoon

1 hour ago, Rover the Moon said:

Forgive the pedantry, but Sinton's now saying in the FFP that "there must be at least 15 SPFL teams" with plastic pitches - up from "14 or 15" earlier this week. Who are the two (or more) clubs who have installed pitches within seven days? I know he's Sim's puppet but he needs to find a story and stick to it.

I'm not a fan of plastic pitches and would question the business case for needing one in Kirkcaldy - as that seems to be a major part of the push for it. I'd be focusing more on developing corporate boxes in the Railway Stand like Dunfermline have at the front of their main stand.

I also wonder what impact it might have in attracting players who have maybe had knee/ankle injuries before. Steven Naismith said this week he ruled out returning to Killie because of their pitch and his previous cruciate problems. Can you imagine Lewis having a recurrence of his injury on day one of the new season because of the pitch?

We train on the stuff every day. I’m pretty sure Lewis’s cruciate will be used to it.

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

I have one major concern about every single suggestion regarding bringing in additional revenue. They are all in principle good ideas which have the potential to work IF IMPLEMENTED AND PROMOTED AND MARKETED PROPERLY.

Does anyone think that the club is geared up commercially to capitalise on any of these ideas at the moment? As someone mentioned they can’t sell the space they currently have. We have advertising gaps and players currently unsponsored and that’s before you even consider the retail function of the club. Woeful. 

It seems as if the club are taking a ‘if we build it they will come’ approach. The reality is they won’t. They will need persuaded and we need to have the people in-house who can do that successfully. Current evidence suggests it’s not just the pitch and facilities that will require an overhaul. 

On the money

1 hour ago, Kdawg said:

We train on the stuff every day. I’m pretty sure Lewis’s cruciate will be used to it.

Pretty impossible to prove either way but I would suspect that plastic surfaces on a regular basis (especially competitive matches) will have an overall detrimental effect on players’ careers’.  Just makes sense that grass is far more forgiving to an athelete’s body in a game like football which contains so much rough n tumble, the jumping the landing, the sliding, the challenges. It maybe wouldn’t effect everyone but just think overall that grass HAS to be the long term safer option for longtivity of a players physical health.

I think it’s sad that we are reverting to plastic but beggars can’t be choosers 

Starks Park only requires 1 decent size club / bar which would cater for all Rovers punters instead of 3 ithink, 200 club, Jim McMillian club, Raith Suite. 

The Majority of the support is in the south stand and one of the proposals stated in the press is fill in the corner between the south stand and Railway stand that would be a great idea imo  it would mean no membership required, not having to collect additional tickets to gain access to a different part of the ground just for a nip or a pint. Currently the Novar gets my money but if the Rovers had better facilities I would definitely change my pre- match day  habits

Edited by basher brash

Don't think myself or my friends from the McMillan club would appreciate the walk round to there and having to mix with the likes of people that go in the 200 club. I haven't paid so much out of my own pocket to the club over the decades just to have my privileges taken off me like that.

1 hour ago, zicoromaines said:

Don't think myself or my friends from the McMillan club would appreciate the walk round to there and having to mix with the likes of people that go in the 200 club. I haven't paid so much out of my own pocket to the club over the decades just to have my privileges taken off me like that.

What an auld bore