The New Raith Rovers Thread

We have two huge stands, one which sits completely empty and one which we can get half full on a good day. A railway stand that had 75 percent of the seats ripped out and sold to the Flyers.

The main stand has flaws, but at least has the excuse of being almost 100 years old. It's pretty far down the list in terms of stadium issues tbh.

Agree with Calderon on this. Why pish money up against the wall when we can't get a full south stand and main stand every second Saturday? People wouldn't miraculously return if we renovated either the railway or the main stand. I understand getting the plastic pitch, and getting changing rooms renovated but we're miles away from making massive changes.

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

There's f**k all wrong with your railway stand, except it's closed as far as I know. I'd love to watch our games from there.

Edit, our derby games against you there.

The home section has no seats and no running water etc I think.

22 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We have two huge stands, one which sits completely empty and one which we can get half full on a good day. A railway stand that had 75 percent of the seats ripped out and sold to the Flyers.

The main stand has flaws, but at least has the excuse of being almost 100 years old. It's pretty far down the list in terms of stadium issues tbh.

I personally couldn't care less if the main stand is 100 years old. It's right at the top of stadium issues because it's completely incapable of generating any income and that was the whole point of John Sim's review of the ground. Not to mention that in a very tight ground the front of it is a complete waste of space.

But with no money it'll still be there in another 100 years.

That article makes me even more convinced that the plastic pitch is a bad idea. 

£500k outlay, funds "being sourced" by SPP (details needed of this) and modifications required because the current pitch isn't big enough to accomodate the desired surface. 

I can't see how the revenue that will be generated by community use will offset the cost of installation and maintenance.  But it's the part about the modifications that's especially alarming - that's asking for trouble. 

Just because something has the potential to make money, doesn't mean it won't cost you more. We need to be careful here. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

That article makes me even more convinced that the plastic pitch is a bad idea. 

£500k outlay, funds "being sourced" by SPP (details needed of this) and modifications required because the current pitch isn't big enough to accomodate the desired surface. 

I can't see how the revenue that will be generated by community use will offset the cost of installation and maintenance.  But it's the part about the modifications that's especially alarming - that's asking for trouble. 

Just because something has the potential to make money, doesn't mean it won't cost you more. We need to be careful here. 

This

Plastic pitch for me is a bad idea full stop irrespective of cost

I quite like the old Main Stand for it's quirkiness but if the New plastic pitch has to have a 4m run off, won't you have to lose even more of the old enclosure and bit behind the dug outs? Someone at work was suggesting that you're moving the dressing rooms, dug outs and hospitality to the Railway Stand but even if you got rid of the Main Stand, what could you build there on that small strip if a 4m run off is needed?

I quite like the old Main Stand for it's quirkiness but if the New plastic pitch has to have a 4m run off, won't you have to lose even more of the old enclosure and bit behind the dug outs? Someone at work was suggesting that you're moving the dressing rooms, dug outs and hospitality to the Railway Stand but even if you got rid of the Main Stand, what could you build there on that small strip if a 4m run off is needed?
It won't happen due to finances but I'd love for us to have a terrace going up the Pratt Street side if we had to extend the pitch. That said I love the main stand and how out of place it is.

50 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Just now, Beastie Russell said:

4 metre run off ?

If true that will make the pitch even narrower than it is now, and probably under the width required for professional football.

The submission to Fife Council only states a 3m run off.

To change the subject a bit, Smith confirms in the prematch interview for Saturday that he feels Bene is fully fit now and it's just a question of game time. The mood this week seems a lot more positive. If Bene comes back in we're pretty much at a full strength first team with one injury. Hopefully we push on and get a bit of a gap and put pressure on McCall.