The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ray McKinnon type midfield needed too. Back then we had Craigen, Connolly, Longridge, Callachan and Robertson all involved at some point.  Craigen and Connolly in particular were ridiculous.

And yet, people thought Craigen brought nothing haha, he scored about 12/13 goals from midfield that season, plus he still played well despite it being public knowledge that he was offskie to Falkirk, credit to the boy. He was also back supporting us for the Home Brechin game last year (f*ck, painful memories!). That volley from the edge of the box against Alloa (?) was 1 of the best goals I’ve seen in recent years at San Starko also.
Where’s Connolly now?

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Aye Raithie that was all a marketing ploy. I fell for it the same as everyone else. Thank f**k Eric is gone.

We actually on paper landed not to badly with cat as mcgurns replacement. It's just been unfortunate the injurys he's had. I still wish our supporters weren't such moaning b*****ds at games or I think laidlaw could and would have been a very good keeper for years to come with us.

He ended up at Hibs, so I doubt we'd have had any chance regardless of whether or not the fans got fed up of him chucking goals away every week. 

He was his own worst enemy - couldn't recover from mistakes and kept making them until he was dropped. All 'keepers make mistakes but by god he was painful after making one. 

He ended up at Hibs, so I doubt we'd have had any chance regardless of whether or not the fans got fed up of him chucking goals away every week. 
He was his own worst enemy - couldn't recover from mistakes and kept making them until he was dropped. All 'keepers make mistakes but by god he was painful after making one. 

I know what you mean but it was evident the raw talent he had. If he had been playing regularly for us I don't think he would have went to hibs to sit as second or third choice. He needed a break from the fans and a coach to get behind him to sort out his mentality with all that.

Imo Brian is a better prospect than laidlaw was so I just hope the same mistakes aren't made again.

Slightly alarmed to see Liam Buchanan in the FFP saying ‘we don’t become a bad team overnight’

I think Gary Locke is still muttering that as he wanders the empty halls of Tynecastle, wondering where everyone has been for the past six months and looking for a hand to shake.

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

Slightly alarmed to see Liam Buchanan in the FFP saying ‘we don’t become a bad team overnight’

I think Gary Locke is still muttering that as he wanders the empty halls of Tynecastle, wondering where everyone has been for the past six months and looking for a hand to shake.

It’s true we haven’t become bad overnight.

14 hours ago, Paco said:

Christ.

Alongside Smith's Lockian use of subs (Hmmm, we aren't winning the ball in the middle of the park, better get another forward on), Bobby Barr doing another post August disappearing act, a completely unbalanced midfield, Kevin McHattie (just Kevin generally, tbf) and a fucked up goalkeeping situation it's hard to see what's changed from last season. Only having the basic intelligence to play Vaughan is so far setting Smith apart from Gary "the human embodiment of the humming noise a refrigerator makes" Locke.

Edited by renton

25 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Are we not all getting just a wee bit carried away? 

We've been shite and still picked up wins and Ayr are only 3pts ahead of us having played a game more. 

January will bring about a chance to address our squad frailties and we'll push on from there. 

This!!

1 minute ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Are we not all getting just a wee bit carried away? 

We've been shite and still picked up wins and Ayr are only 3pts ahead of us having played a game more. 

January will bring about a chance to address our squad frailties and we'll push on from there. 

Not massively.

A number of our issues are within Smith's power to change now:

1. Bobby Barr is not undroppable.

2. Don't try and shoehorn Spence and Buchanan together. It ain't working, it isn't suddenly going to click

3. The club sold Callachan, no other combination of midfielders will provide the coverage over the park he did. Play a midfield 3.

4. Mckay isn't going to get any more confident if you don't give him game time, better a centre back at centre back than Scott Robertson.

5. Drop Graeme Smith as soon as humanly possible.

We've been absolutely dire for weeks, and some of it is out of form players and some of it is the system, yet Smith has persisted with that system, even though he has evidence that changing the system has worked, given the positive performances (and results) gained against Arbroath and St.Mirren.

Think folk expecting a rush of signings in January to cure our ills are being deluded.

Sim won't chuck money at this (see the will-we-won't-we saga of signing a CB before being scuppered by medical bills) so I reckon we'll be pretty much going with what we've got until May. Maybe one young loanee but that's unlikely to have the effect of Connolly, Longridge, Hardie etc from McKinnon's January window.

Strap yourselves in folks.