The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Wardy said:

He’s only signed until January mind, so only one more month guys. Then we’ll kick on and win the league. 

After watching in disbelief as we extended Jordan Thompson and Scott Roberts' deals last January I am taking nothing for granted.

Important not to get carried away either way.  What I would say, is that last season is living evidence of what can happen when things start going wrong.  This time last season we were in the promotion playoffs, and we ended up getting relegated.  When a rot sets in, it can absolutely f**k things up.

The next month or so will be absolutely massive for Smith, and we will learn a lot about what kind of manager he is. 

13 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Tuesday's game would have finished 3-0 regardless of who your keeper was

Sir David 'The Witch' McGurn has something to say about that, he'd have prevented all 3 goals with his eyes shut and hands taped to his baws,

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

Oh to have a player of Paquito's quality at Stark's Park again.  One of the finest midfielders I've ever seen grace the San Starko, the mans quality was just ridiculous. 

It highlights how bad we were under Jocky Scott that a side containing Nacho Novo and a former La Liga player who stood out like a sore thumb, ended up getting relegated.

Paquito was easily the best player I’ve seen play for the Rovers, the season we won this league he was absolutely ridiculous. 

7 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

So?  He’s still fucking shite. 

Don't get me wrong, a shite keeper can cost you multiple points over a season, and I accept that you'll be a better team without him. My point was in response to the 'get rid of him and we'll kick on and win the league' comment. Based on Tuesday's game, it'll take a lot more than that.

37 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Paquito was easily the best player I’ve seen play for the Rovers, the season we won this league he was absolutely ridiculous. 

His performance away to Hamilton that we won 4-0 was jaw dropping at times. He'd have scored probably the best goal I'd seen, a 40 yard volley, had it not cannoned off the bar. Mental to think that was 15 years ago.

Just now, grumswall said:

Like this? Which I'm sure was against Ayr?
8288014c1572fce79125812d3f9eed62.gif

It was indeed. That and his save against Dunfermline that lead to us running up the pitch and Casa putting us 2-0 up were incredible to watch.

Just now, grumswall said:

An absolute joke how he was treated in the end. Still no testimonial for him either which is sad.

Aye, I'm sure I read on Fantalk that any testimonial would have to be organised by the fans and that there wasn't much interest for the planned 'pool tournament' at Styx. I remember, over time, being really annoyed that the first thing the club done when they axed Murray was put up an all singing and dancing article that McGurn had signed a new deal (something ridiculous like a 3 year deal or something) with the promise of a testimonial which was basically the clubs way of wanting to get more people to buy season tickets. Inevitably McKinnon, much like Murray I think, decided he didn't want any part time players on the books and sadly The Witch was burnt at the stake :( 

Aye Raithie that was all a marketing ploy. I fell for it the same as everyone else. Thank f**k Eric is gone.

We actually on paper landed not to badly with cat as mcgurns replacement. It's just been unfortunate the injurys he's had. I still wish our supporters weren't such moaning b*****ds at games or I think laidlaw could and would have been a very good keeper for years to come with us.

After watching in disbelief as we extended Jordan Thompson and Scott Roberts' deals last January I am taking nothing for granted.

There’s still time for us to send Lewis out on loan to Ayr and extend the loan of zannata!

What an awful thought that would be

We'e had absolutey f**k all consistency in goals since the witch was discarded. For f**k sake we've ad a striker play in goals away to ayr who conceded less than in Tuesday.

Aye but we couldn’t hit a barn door last season and we’re the top scorers in the country this season.

Mind you I can’t really remember your keeper pulling off any big saves on Tuesday night. He saved Roses free kick with his feet but he didn’t know much about it.

1 minute ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Aye but we couldn’t hit a barn door last season and we’re the top scorers in the country this season.

Mind you I can’t really remember your keeper pulling off any big saves on Tuesday night. He saved Roses free kick with his feet but he didn’t know much about it.

Not even the double save in the second half?

Not even the double save in the second half?

Was that not just defenders throwing themselves in the way?

He’s definitely not the same keeper that was in the team of the season two years ago. Hard to believe almost 10 years ago he was on the bench in a UEFA Cup final.

Edit: Just rewatched the highlights. You’re right enough. Saves from Crawford then Shankland before Moore’s shot is blocked by someone.