The New Raith Rovers Thread

Anyone else noticed how, in the last couple of games Barr has been drifting in field a lot? Against both Forfar and East Fife there seemed to be a lot of occasions where the ball goes out to Thomson and Barr was in the centre circle, with no one making a run in front of the full back. I'm not sure if it's a deliberate tactic - to try and have the extra man in the middle to help out there, or if it's part of Bobby's "act like I'm involved but secretly don't want the ball" routine. If it's the former, I don't think it'll work very well, as he'll never put the graft in to get back out wide to cover when we don't have the ball, and not using Thomson as the out ball down the wing seems weird given how consistent that route is. A few times he did start to make the peeling run for Thomson to play him in, others  both he and Buchanan ended up making the same run - but Buchanan was actually further out wide than Barr.
Generally speaking Barr was a passenger on Saturday, but I'm not sure his positioning, if deliberate is going to help.

Said this to my mate during the game on Saturday. I feel he works best hugging the touch line all game and using his pace to get by his man.

I never noticed smith telling him to go wide which would suggest he was happy with him playing more central. I noticed McHattie getting forward a lot so i can only expect thats where he was looking to get the width from. Funnily enough though, the 2 occasions he did go wide, he caused them problems.

By all accounts, Barr has admitted to having a mare on Saturday. Refer to his Instagram, a picture of his wee laddie at San Starko.

I like Barr, but I agree that he has to stick to being out wide when looking to receive the ball.

1fd7eda35b2a22f6d91f028f2139f216.jpg

3 hours ago, renton said:

Anyone else noticed how, in the last couple of games Barr has been drifting in field a lot? Against both Forfar and East Fife there seemed to be a lot of occasions where the ball goes out to Thomson and Barr was in the centre circle, with no one making a run in front of the full back. I'm not sure if it's a deliberate tactic - to try and have the extra man in the middle to help out there, or if it's part of Bobby's "act like I'm involved but secretly don't want the ball" routine. If it's the former, I don't think it'll work very well, as he'll never put the graft in to get back out wide to cover when we don't have the ball, and not using Thomson as the out ball down the wing seems weird given how consistent that route is. A few times he did start to make the peeling run for Thomson to play him in, others  both he and Buchanan ended up making the same run - but Buchanan was actually further out wide than Barr.

Generally speaking Barr was a passenger on Saturday, but I'm not sure his positioning, if deliberate is going to help.

Also noticed this on Saturday. I assumed it was a deliberate tactic by Smith, although considering Barr had loads of joy against the East Fife fullbacks at Methil it was a bit frustrating.

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

Also noticed this on Saturday. I assumed it was a deliberate tactic by Smith, although considering Barr had loads of joy against the East Fife fullbacks at Methil it was a bit frustrating.

Yeah,  and with our injury worries maybe the only thing he could do if he wanted to put an extra man in the middle is have Barr try and split his time, but it really didn't work. Certainly for the Ayr game we should be looking at a midfield 3 of Matthews, Robertson and Herron and one out of two of Buchanan or Spence up top with Barr and Vaughan behind.

42 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The ayr game is the only one that matters here the other 2 can get tae f**k. That said good chances to experiment and bring in fringe players.

Ayr is the most important. Peterhead after that. A good cup run could mean funds opening up for a new signing if we get either of the old firm/edinburgh teams/aberdeen away. The Dumbarton game can lurch the 50 meters or so from the side of the pitch and into the sea. A completely pointless trophy, which has only caused grief this season barring our win against Saints. 

1 minute ago, Beastie Russell said:

Parlour was surprisingly good

Not enough rovers stories from the ex players IMHO .

who gets inducted next year ?

I was a wee bit disappointed for Tade, coming all the way from Israel to be a spectator.

Parlour was surprisingly good
Not enough rovers stories from the ex players IMHO .
 who gets inducted next year ?

I think you're probably right. It's a great night but it is reaching the point where all of the genuine contenders have been inducted. They could maybe find another half a dozen worthy candidates next year but they are in danger of devaluing the award. Time to maybe it hold it once every 2-3 years now possibly.

Parlour in particular was very good but I would also have liked to have heard from a few more of the former players there. The level of interaction with them has dropped off over the last year or two I feel.

The story so far.

2012- Jim Baxter, Bobby Reid, Andy Harrow, Tom Houston, Willie Penman, Willie McNaught, Gordon Dalziel, Iain Davidson, Jimmy Nicholl.

2013- Brian Cooper, Willie Polland, Laurie Ellis, Allan Forsyth, Andy Young, Colin Cameron, Johnny Urquhart, Gordon Wallace, Alex James.

2014- The 1994 Coca Cola Cup winning team, Ally Gourlay.

2015- Andy Leigh, David McGurn, Frank Connor, Joe Baker, Turnbull Hutton, John McStay, Colin Harris.

2016- Jimmy Todd, Jimmy Scott, Donald Urquart, Murray McDermott, Antonio Calderon, Marvin Andrews, Peter Heatherston, Stevie Crawford.

2017- Alex Penman, Craig Brewster, Paul Sweeney, Jackie Stewart, John McLynn, George McLay, Shaun Dennis.

4 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

The story so far.

Seems unusual that on the one hand you had the whole '94 cup winning team inducted then some of the players, Dalziel, Crawford, Cameron, Dennis inducted separately but not the likes of Scott Thomson who was the hero in the penalty shoot out and pretty much won us the tie single handedly in Iceland.

Edited by bobbykdy

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 20:41, WSDR 88 said:

Fair play to anyone who makes the journey to all 3 away games in the next week, some effort. I’ll be going to Peterhead since it’s a new ground for me to have ticked off the list.
Hoping for W against Dumbarton in the quarterfinal and would love to get to a final again. But would definitely play a lot of the 20’s players to ensure we have the best team available to Ayr away on the Tuesday.

Im doing the 3.... along with the Scotland game up in Aberdeen this Thursday as well!

I draw the line however at Stranraer away on a Tuesday night!!!!