The New Raith Rovers Thread

The 1975 game was the season before I started going regularly so I wasn't that one though I do have one of the programmes which incidentally were printed in Peterhead jail..

I was at all 3 of the 80's games though. The 2-2 draw at SP, the 3-3 draw at Recreation Park and the 2nd replay at Arbroath too.

I recall Frank Conner saying he had to talk Hamish McAlpine out of retirement as the keeper felt his dodgy eyesight was the reason we nearly lost the 1st replay, I though Herd was more culpable myself as he was a bit reckless that night.

The 2nd replay at Arbroath was the coldest I have ever felt at a football game, it was bloody freezing.

The league is the most important thing but it'd be good to get past P'heid and bag a decent 4th round draw. If we were assured of a decent tie and possibly TV money (Celtic or Sevco at SP??) we could possibly look to strengthen in the next transfer window.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Barry Smith fucking hated interviews. He explicitly said he could do without them at Dens. Don't expect anything from them. He feels completely out of his element doing them.

Couldn't care less so long as we're winning. John Hughes could easily spend about 10 to 15 minutes on interviews, but did f**k all in the dugout. He got loads of praise after we got skelped by St Mirren for his honesty, despite spending all of the first half in his seat without making any changes. 

Smith comes across as a likeable character who is quite blunt in interviews. It's understandable really.  Fortunately, we've got the likes of Easton and Robbo who are a bit more "media friendly". 

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Barry Smith fucking hated interviews. He explicitly said he could do without them at Dens. Don't expect anything from them. He feels completely out of his element doing them.

IIRC he wrote a column for the Telle, you would think he knows how this works.

IIRC he wrote a column for the Telle, you would think he knows how this works.

He took on a journalist role after his Aldershot job and because there was no available role at Dens. He's never been the type comfortable with a camera on front of his face. When he was working for the Tele it was purely because he was one of Dundee's biggest ever legends rather than any journalistic talent.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

He took on a journalist role after his Aldershot job and because there was no available role at Dens. He's never been the type comfortable with a camera on front of his face. When he was working for the Tele it was purely because he was one of Dundee's biggest ever legends rather than any journalistic talent.

His interviews are to the point which is a quantum leap in respect of the pish that Hughes would come out with, Locke was like watching Loose Women.

Smiths like Mcglynn. Honest pro with no ego or anything like that.

Mcglynn was the most camera shy person ever. He was in the Sportscene studio after our cup win at Dundee and it was cringe worthy. But I'm fine with that. Tremendous work ethic and you need that in this league.

I remember we got hammered in a game in Mcglynn gave one word answers with a face like a massive beetroot. He was fucking seething.

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Smiths like Mcglynn. Honest pro with no ego or anything like that.

Mcglynn was the most camera shy person ever. He was in the Sportscene studio after our cup win at Dundee and it was cringe worthy. But I'm fine with that. Tremendous work ethic and you need that in this league.

I remember we got hammered in a game in Mcglynn gave one word answers with a face like a massive beetroot. He was fucking seething.

:lol: Peterhead at home if I remember correctly. It was a meaningless end of day game after we'd qualified for the playoffs, and we fielded a team with players who were at the end of their contract and youths. We got tanked 5-2 and Bobby Mann started celebrating in front of our fans.