The New Raith Rovers Thread

I know he's pretty much universally loved by the fans, but that'd be utterly incredible if he did that for the club. Already Callachan has set a great example by donating money to our development fund. If Vaughan did the same I'd probably greet. Ideally we'll get promoted, he'll sign a new deal, and Lennon can come and use some of the money from selling McGinn to take him to Easter Road to give him a dream move while earning us a tidy payday. 

That all sounds good, but if Hibs bid for Vaughan the board would have the "boyhood club, can't stand in his way" statement dusted down before they even got to the part where Hibs would say how much they were offering....

29 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

To be fair, any non-attendance can probably be attributed to hassle avoidance. 

Understandable really. 

A Rovers fan is a Rovers fan regardless, surely no matter what people say it doesn't stop him supporting his team? that's certainly the way I would be personally anyway.

You are probably right.  I wouldn't rule out a new deal to get you boys more £ though. 

Something you want to share with us?

I'd love this to happen now to reward the boy for his performances and to earn us dosh when he does no doubt leave. It's not like a transfer fee is going to put off someone of his ability.

Hello everyone. Not been around much lately, hope you're all well and that.

The criticism of Drysdale is well out of order. And speaking of people who did a huge amount to stabilise Raith in years gone by, nice to see John McGlynn's youth policy showing its legacy. Congrats to Callachan on his move, and great to see Vaughan emerging as the player we thought we had two years ago.

Mcglynns youth system has born fruit. Thank you to levein for recommending him.

Drysdale has been in for a lot of just criticism yoss. Anelka, locke, Vaughan loan deal (which in the end relegated us) need I go on? He may have done a lot for us but his legacy is a fairly poor one.

7 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Hello everyone. Not been around much lately, hope you're all well and that.

The criticism of Drysdale is well out of order. And speaking of people who did a huge amount to stabilise Raith in years gone by, nice to see John McGlynn's youth policy showing its legacy. Congrats to Callachan on his move, and great to see Vaughan emerging as the player we thought we had two years ago.

Drysdale took something like £35k a year out of the club for a post that was previously unpaid.

I'm fairly bored at work, so I had a quick look at the previous third tier seasons going back to 2000/1 (beginning of the century, why not). The median number of defeats sustained by the team that finished champions  is 6, that includes the aberration that was The Rangers, who went unbeaten the whole season (Next best is QoS who finished on 92 points and only 2 defeats last time they were down here). Take The Rangers out of the equation and it goes up to 6.5 (round up to 7). Rovers have previously been champions on either side of that median, with 9 defeats in 2002/3 and 4 in 2008/9.  In those 17 years there have been two occasions where the team finishing first actually lost more games than the runners up, with Alloa losing less times than Queens in 01/02, but drawing double the amount of games - much the same story for Stranraer when they finished 2nd to Morton in 14/15.

The median number of wins required - sans The Rangers - was 22, with the lowest being the Rovers in 02/03 with 16 wins and the highest being QoS in 12/13 with 29.

So, on any given year, to be with a 50% shout of ending the season champions you need to hit 73 points.

Edited by renton

I'm fairly bored at work, so I had a quick look at the previous third tier seasons going back to 2000/1 (beginning of the century, why not). The median number of defeats sustained by the team that finished champions  is 6, that includes the aberration that was The Rangers, who went unbeaten the whole season (Next best is QoS who finished on 92 points and only 2 defeats last time they were down here). Take The Rangers out of the equation and it goes up to 6.5 (round up to 7). Rovers have previously been champions on either side of that median, with 9 defeats in 2002/3 and 4 in 2008/9.  In those 17 years there have been two occasions where the team finishing first actually lost more games than the runners up, with Alloa losing less times than Queens in 01/02, but drawing double the amount of games - much the same story for Stranraer when they finished 2nd to Morton in 14/15.
The median number of wins required - sans The Rangers - was 22, with the lowest being the Rovers in 02/03 with 16 wins and the highest being QoS in 12/13 with 29.
Assuming a median number of wins and defeats would leave us on 73 points.

Cheers Carol Vorderman!

So, on any given year, to be with a 50% shout of ending the season champions you need to hit 73 points.

Fairly bored you say?

30 minutes ago, pub car king said:

What's the average points of runners up 

Median for runners up over that period was 63 points, lowest was 55 points (Brechin in 02/03) and highest was 74 (Ayr in 08/09).  The gap between 1st and 2nd ranged from 25 points to 0 (Stirling pipping Alloa on goal difference in 09/10).  Rovers two previous league trophies down here were achieved with a 4 point gap to Brechin in 02/03, and 2 points ahead of Ayr in 08/09 (which marked both the lowest and highest runner up points tallies over that 17 year period)

You should be losing no more than a couple of times per quarter (ideally only the once per quarter) - same with draws - in order to be in with a decent shot of ending up champions.

Edited by renton