The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 hours ago, mr mince said:

Got a telly already, sadly it seems to be on a permanent loop playing Spongebob :)

Ah well at least someone in the house is managing to keep their pants on! :thumsup2

Edited to add, It's because he's such a square.

Edited by Scottydog

Already on it. She's due in January!

The point stands though. The board need to make a big effort to get younger fans in. It's not an easy task but, I'm not sure what they have really done the past few years? I haven't seen anything publicised.

Don't know how much of it was directly a board initiative, but there's lots going on with the Roary Club. They have the family day in the north stand, they get rewards and gifts for attending games and they get a birthday and Christmas card sent from the Rovers.

Biggest issue......the quality of what is being served up by the team on the pitch. We won the Ramsdens but have done nothing since. The Locke "era" was a mess, fans left in droves, it's a long road back in this league to start winning again and getting fans back through the gate. A good run will attract the fans back but other than an attractive cup run there's no "big" games. Currently the ground is probably too big, there's no atmosphere, everyone sits on their bums and just watch. Getting promoted is vital to take us forward..

Kids just want excitement and goals, the more we keep winning the more those who came along will want to stay, I've said this before but I don't see why the club can't send a few players along to primary schools to have a kick about with the kids and give out a few free tickets.

Biggest issue......the quality of what is being served up by the team on the pitch. We won the Ramsdens but have done nothing since. The Locke "era" was a mess, fans left in droves, it's a long road back in this league to start winning again and getting fans back through the gate. A good run will attract the fans back but other than an attractive cup run there's no "big" games. Currently the ground is probably too big, there's no atmosphere, everyone sits on their bums and just watch. Getting promoted is vital to take us forward..

We could be in the top league and there would still be little or no atmosphere. With the introduction of seating football has been changed. I think society has possibly also changed in the last 20 years.

11 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

We could be in the top league and there would still be little or no atmosphere. With the introduction of seating football has been changed. I think society has possibly also changed in the last 20 years.

No half, 20 years ago it was still Oscars.

Seriously though it really is a different place out there though, free time is harder to come by these days and the convenience of TV football with 'big' names has stolen a lot of the potential crowd.

47 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I think your initial point isn't wholly true. The second point is Imo the more accurate but is still subject to a wee qualification. Look at any of the three largest grounds in the country and fans who were there twenty years ago will all say atmosphere was better then. A massive factor has to be numbers, I have been in Hampden with over eighty thousand inside and it knocks spots off the current atmosphere. Likewise when we played England at capacity it was a great atmosphere......where as at home to Lithuania in front of thirty thou isn't going to be nears good. In a similar vein six thousand at Starks against Hibs, Pars etc will generate if not a great atmosphere then certainly a beer one than we see at present. Seating is an issue but not as much as numbers Imo. The next question is would safe standing increase numbers?

As mentioned elsewhere  think the ageing support is another factor in poor atmosphere, no disrespect to Gav and Fife's Finest but like me most of these guys are pushing fifty, where are the next generation?  they're late.

Edited by Scottydog

8 hours ago, mr mince said:

No half, 20 years ago it was still Oscars.

Seriously though it really is a different place out there though, free time is harder to come by these days and the convenience of TV football with 'big' names has stolen a lot of the potential crowd.

It was Caesars 20 years ago.

I was there at 15 on the second night it was open as Caesars.

The date: 26/11/1994. 

It was Caesars 20 years ago.
I was there at 15 on the second night it was open as Caesars.
The date: 26/11/1994. 

That was a strange day. It was a Saturday and for some reason we didn't appear to have a game. Funny thing was, neither did Celtic.

15 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

That was a strange day. It was a Saturday and for some reason we didn't appear to have a game. Funny thing was, neither did Celtic.

It was my pal's 18th at the Ravenscraig hotel and I was throwing pints down like a seasoned drinker.

I can only assume that the buzz of having the final to go to completely obliterated the inevitable hangover.

New goalie - meh

Full-backs - both reasonable use of the ball and rarely caught out of position.

Bene - wanted to foul people all day (mostly not needed)
Davo - stupid booking, getting slower every month

Midfield worked well as a unit and good distribution.

Buchanan - excellent, excellent movement
Spence - tried hard

Overall teamwork - we bossed the game, kept possession when required, harried East Fife when required. Scored 5 goals. Teamwork was greater than the sum of the individual parts. Most pleasing.

9 hours ago, expatowner said:

New goalie - meh

Full-backs - both reasonable use of the ball and rarely caught out of position.

Bene - wanted to foul people all day (mostly not needed)
Davo - stupid booking, getting slower every month

Midfield worked well as a unit and good distribution.

Buchanan - excellent, excellent movement
Spence - tried hard

Overall teamwork - we bossed the game, kept possession when required, harried East Fife when required. Scored 5 goals. Teamwork was greater than the sum of the individual parts. Most pleasing.

Any info on how that lad Vaughan played? :lol: