The New Raith Rovers Thread

It's not helpful to the young players to just chuck them all in for their first competitive start together. Needs to be a mix with some experience to help them through. Also, as much as this competition is a farce a home defeat to Brora helps nobody.

I'd go with

Brian

McHattie

Davo

McKay

Thomson

Barr

Berry

Matthews

Thorsen

Spence/Buchanan

Osei/Court

That still leaves us resting Lennox, Bene, Murray, Robertson, Callachan, Vaughan and one of Spence or Buchanan. 

I'd go for something similar.

Brian

Thomson, McKay, Davidson, McHattie

Barr, Matthews, Callachan, Osei

Court, Spence/Buchanan

I realise Osei isn't a wide player but he did a decent job there against Dundee.

Really can't see someone bidding 100K for Vaughan - if it is the case I can't see you not accepting it.

I saw him play against us at the start of last season and thought he was excellent, but he is not far off 22, and his career stats aren't exactly impressive.

Clearly a good player, but don't see why someone would take 100K of a chance on him at the moment.

Obviously Raith fans will know far better than I do, but just thought I would butt in!

19 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Really can't see someone bidding 100K for Vaughan - if it is the case I can't see you not accepting it.

I saw him play against us at the start of last season and thought he was excellent, but he is not far off 22, and his career stats aren't exactly impressive.

Clearly a good player, but don't see why someone would take 100K of a chance on him at the moment.

Obviously Raith fans will know far better than I do, but just thought I would butt in!

I'd be surprised if there's a player more technically gifted than Vaughan at this level. I think a lot of fans at this level might look at Spence and Buchanan and not know much about him, but he's been superb so far since returning. His stats might not be great, but he's missed a season with an ACL which might deter a few clubs. Even then the fact rumours are persisting speaks volumes about how highly clubs rate him. He's one of two players (along with Andy Ryan) who is in that category at the moment. If we keep him, then it'll be fantastic news. At the end of the day, we'll still be due a fee for him with the view of either him leaving now or a development fee. 

It'll be shite when he goes, but I'm just enjoying the fact we've brought through such a good player, who is scoring goals and looking very confident at the moment. 

I'd be surprised if there's a player more technically gifted than Vaughan at this level. I think a lot of fans at this level might look at Spence and Buchanan and not know much about him, but he's been superb so far since returning. His stats might not be great, but he's missed a season with an ACL which might deter a few clubs. Even then the fact rumours are persisting speaks volumes about how highly clubs rate him. He's one of two players (along with Andy Ryan) who is in that category at the moment. If we keep him, then it'll be fantastic news. At the end of the day, we'll still be due a fee for him with the view of either him leaving now or a development fee. 
It'll be shite when he goes, but I'm just enjoying the fact we've brought through such a good player, who is scoring goals and looking very confident at the moment. 

Exactly the opposite for me tbf. I don't really rate Spence all that much and was very surprised that Buchanan was doing so well last season with Livi considering he wasn't impressive in his short spell with us.

Vaughan is definitely one of the top 2 or 3 players in this league but I can't see him getting into the Dundee Utd starting eleven and he's not Premiership level either for Dundee.

If I was a Raith fan I'd want him to stay as he's your best bet at winning the title. Without him Buchanan and Spence won't get enough service to get 20+ goals.

Exactly the opposite for me tbf. I don't really rate Spence all that much and was very surprised that Buchanan was doing so well last season with Livi considering he wasn't impressive in his short spell with us.

Vaughan is definitely one of the top 2 or 3 players in this league but I can't see him getting into the Dundee Utd starting eleven and he's not Premiership level either for Dundee.

If I was a Raith fan I'd want him to stay as he's your best bet at winning the title. Without him Buchanan and Spence won't get enough service to get 20+ goals.

Different players manage well at different levels or in other teams. Vaughan has bags of potential but, as you say, the one thing we can offer is game time. We all wrote off Barry McKay as being shit at Rovers, but somehow he's now in the English Championship and got a few seasons of regular football at Rangers.

Different players manage well at different levels or in other teams. Vaughan has bags of potential but, as you say, the one thing we can offer is game time. We all wrote off Barry McKay as being shit at Rovers, but somehow he's now in the English Championship and got a few seasons of regular football at Rangers.

Yeah in hindsight I might not judge many players we had under Roberts especially in that particular season but I was astonished that he'd managed to do so well.

Vaughan still has a point to prove and to be worthy of a 6 figure fee he needs to have a really good season. If he keeps up his current form he'll get between 15-20 goals easy.

Yeah in hindsight I might not judge many players we had under Roberts especially in that particular season but I was astonished that he'd managed to do so well.

Vaughan still has a point to prove and to be worthy of a 6 figure fee he needs to have a really good season. If he keeps up his current form he'll get between 15-20 goals easy.

Considering, he's halfway to 15 already. I'd expect more than that on his current form.

You shouldn't have any problems with Brora Rangers. Just a small village of 650 people 70 miles north of inverness in Sutherland. I'm sure if you field training cones they will do the job....or B'Jesus this may just be a shock [emoji2]

650 people! Did the vikings return?

http://brora.org.uk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brora

From football crowd w**k to village population w**k.

Boy on that website seems to think it's 60 miles North of Inverness. Aa routeplanner concurs.

Hope our traffic cones stuff these liars with their fake news.

4-0 (traffic cone 1, traffic cone 4, Davo, Thorsen)

Did Falkirk not recently get some decent development fees over 100k for a player that's contract ran out ? I'd keep him as promotion is more important and guaranteed something if he leaves.

Development fees are dependant on the buying club as well as the selling club though - Falkirk had guys go to Swansea so the fee was higher than had they went to another Scottish club, in the same way Celtic got Dembele for a development fee of around £500k when an English club would have had to pay several millions.

This is slightly off topic regarding Vaughan but wanted to say something about the Raith Suite on Saturday.

I personally thought it was very decent for a 'first run'. Being able to leave the pub at 2:55, no walk, and make kick off is glorious. It's also great being in the ground having a look at memorabilia and knowing your money (which you would be spending anyway) is helping the club. Drink-wise the spirits (35ml) are well priced. I understand that not having draft beer is a draw back - however, perhaps if more people come this may be reintroduced or more varieties of canned/bottled beers etc. I really think this is one of those things that if people endeavour to come to help the club it will get better and better. 

Over the course of the afternoon there must have been around 40odd people in - including a sizable group from Stranraer. Speaking the the barman he seemed to be of the opinion that doubling that would ensure the club make a wee bit cash from it. Our group has decided to go whenever we plan to have a few drinks before the game - I hope as many of you decide to get involved too. And that we as a fan base should encourage away fans to come in as much as possible. Do more people intend to give it a go?

Oh, and if anyone has any spare tele's to donate that would be class - having the football on is great, but only one tele in a large room isn't ideal. Again, these are things that will get better over time!

One last thing if anyone from the club is listening I think we should rebrand the name. To get the ball rolling I will throw out -  "the coca cola cup suite/lounge", "The Dancing in the streets suite" etc etc.

3 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

This is slightly off topic regarding Vaughan but wanted to say something about the Raith Suite on Saturday.

I personally thought it was very decent for a 'first run'. Being able to leave the pub at 2:55, no walk, and make kick off is glorious. It's also great being in the ground having a look at memorabilia and knowing your money (which you would be spending anyway) is helping the club. Drink-wise the spirits (35ml) are well priced. I understand that not having draft beer is a draw back - however, perhaps if more people come this may be reintroduced or more varieties of canned/bottled beers etc. I really think this is one of those things that if people endeavour to come to help the club it will get better and better. 

Over the course of the afternoon there must have been around 40odd people in - including a sizable group from Stranraer. Speaking the the barman he seemed to be of the opinion that doubling that would ensure the club make a wee bit cash from it. Our group has decided to go whenever we plan to have a few drinks before the game - I hope as many of you decide to get involved too. And that we as a fan base should encourage away fans to come in as much as possible. Do more people intend to give it a go?

Oh, and if anyone has any spare tele's to donate that would be class - having the football on is great, but only one tele in a large room isn't ideal. Again, these are things that will get better over time!

One last thing if anyone from the club is listening I think we should rebrand the name. To get the ball rolling I will throw out -  "the coca cola cup suite/lounge", "The Dancing in the streets suite" etc etc.

Rovers (supporters) Return.

17 hours ago, Bambino7 said:

Hypothetically speaking, say a bid of £100k came in, it might Ben worth thinking that would be the marker for development fee in the summer should he go to the club who offered that.  Personally I don't think he will leave just now and it's news to me, thats not to say it isn't happening, I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to play for McKinnon next season. 

I am inclined to listen to Bambino 7 that  based on the past accuracy of his comments about LV and his Raith career.

As for going to DUFC (IF and it's a BIG if) he did , I'd want to make sure we get the right price, and that within a watertight contract !

If he maintains his current vein of form, throughout this season with us, we will see many bigger  clubs than DUFC at Stark's Park having a look at him. 

Edited by Wee Sandy

There's been a wee trend of people saying that a move to Dundee Utd or Dundee wouldn't be that big a step up. Let's be clear on this - both Dundee and Dundee Utd are much, much bigger clubs than us, and both would be a great move for Vaughan.

Its also worth remembering that Vaughan hasn’t had a full season playing consistently well under his belt yet – even at Championship level.  He is a very talented player and I really do hope he stays at the Rovers this season but some people are making assumptions about his ability that you just cant make yet.

Dundee would be an absolutely massive step up – the lad from Dunfermline has probably only just now got used to playing at that level – and he scored a barrowload down here. 

I think it represents a bit of a gamble for a Premiership side paying money for him to be honest, theres no guarantee how much of a success he will be at that level.  Would be an instant hit for Dundee United though.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There's been a wee trend of people saying that a move to Dundee Utd or Dundee wouldn't be that big a step up. Let's be clear on this - both Dundee and Dundee Utd are much, much bigger clubs than us, and both would be a great move for Vaughan.

Rubbish. In 1995/96 we finished well above both of the Dundee clubs. In fact, we were literally a league above both of them. Vaughan must surely realise that.

Vaughan should hold out for Spurs or someone like that.

Edited by Ro Sham Bo