The New Raith Rovers Thread

28 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

How are we pushing him out the door?

A good player is scoring goals and therefore generating interest. That's hardly pushing him out the door :lol:

It's been said from people close to him that he's not actively looking to leave*. Surprisingly that's a sentence in my post you've not picked up on. If he's not wanting to leave but we feel we need to accept whatever figure is being offered then I'd call that pushing him out the door. 

*granted he's maybe changed his mind since those comments were made.

5 minutes ago, Raithie said:

It's been said from people close to him that he's not actively looking to leave*. Surprisingly that's a sentence in my post you've not picked up on. If he's not wanting to leave but we feel we need to accept whatever figure is being offered then I'd call that pushing him out the door. 

*granted he's maybe changed his mind since those comments were made.

There is far more to a player transfer than simply if the player wants to leave or not.

Also, the club haven’t come out and said they are keen to sell – so you don’t know at all if the club are pushing anyone. 

One thing that none of us on here know, is how immediately RRFC need the cash.  We all know that promotion will be more valuable long term than a likely fee for Vaughan, but the club have taken a massive financial hit after last season – and have decided to still run full time.  That puts absolutely massive pressure on finances.

I doubt anyone at the club has asked for Vaughan to attract attention, which is why they aren’t pushing him out the door or forcing the issue.  However, if a young player in the Scottish lower league bangs in the goals on a weekly basis – that is of course going to attract attention.  Clubs will be interested, and eventually offers will be made – and that is something the club really has to consider.  Money talks in football, and whilst it is often a short term view – a club like the Rovers who live hand to mouth each week often need to take short term views. 

I’m wary of quoting the figure of £100k, but anything near that region is absolutely massive money for the club.  For context, I’m pretty sure that’s what we got for Nacho Novo – a player who had played consistently well over a season at a level higher than this, in an absolutely shite team. 

Should also say that personally I think its vital we hold onto Vaughan as he is already looking to be absolutely pivotal to how we are set up this season – but money will more often than not lead the way. 

Should also say that personally I think its vital we hold onto Vaughan as he is already looking to be absolutely pivotal to how we are set up this season – but money will more often than not lead the way. 

This is true, we simply and swiftly have to realise we are a lower league club and can't compete with the big guns, why we stayed full time I'll never know, we've ran the risk of staying full time and a small squad, losing an important player right now will exacerbate our chances for promotion. I'd love it if he stays. But ultimately it's up to the board. They single handedly buggered our status as a championship team, what's to stop them doing it again

22 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

This is true, we simply and swiftly have to realise we are a lower league club and can't compete with the big guns, why we stayed full time I'll never know, we've ran the risk of staying full time and a small squad, losing an important player right now will exacerbate our chances for promotion. I'd love it if he stays. But ultimately it's up to the board. They single handedly buggered our status as a championship team, what's to stop them doing it again

Staying full time was absolutely the right thing to do. History favours full time teams in this league.

Furthermore, you're worried about Vaughan leaving scuppering our promotion chances, I would bet good money he'd already be gone if we'd went part time. Same goes for Benedictus, Callachan, Matthews, Barr and Buchanan I'd say. 

I also think our arrangement with the Michael Woods Centre (a big selling point and advantage for us) is dependant on our use of the facilities being through the day. A hybrid FT/PT model would require night time training which I'm not sure would be part of the original agreement.

Edited by R.R.FC

Going part time, if the club planned to try and get up straight away, would have been daft.

That would have meant the plan was to from full time, to part time for a season, to full time again.

We would have had to build an entirely new squad of players guaranteed to be no better than those we had. Staying full time was absolutely the correct decision.... For now.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

There is far more to a player transfer than simply if the player wants to leave or not.

Also, the club haven’t come out and said they are keen to sell – so you don’t know at all if the club are pushing anyone. 

One thing that none of us on here know, is how immediately RRFC need the cash.  We all know that promotion will be more valuable long term than a likely fee for Vaughan, but the club have taken a massive financial hit after last season – and have decided to still run full time.  That puts absolutely massive pressure on finances.

I doubt anyone at the club has asked for Vaughan to attract attention, which is why they aren’t pushing him out the door or forcing the issue.  However, if a young player in the Scottish lower league bangs in the goals on a weekly basis – that is of course going to attract attention.  Clubs will be interested, and eventually offers will be made – and that is something the club really has to consider.  Money talks in football, and whilst it is often a short term view – a club like the Rovers who live hand to mouth each week often need to take short term views. 

I’m wary of quoting the figure of £100k, but anything near that region is absolutely massive money for the club.  For context, I’m pretty sure that’s what we got for Nacho Novo – a player who had played consistently well over a season at a level higher than this, in an absolutely shite team. 

I think Novo's ownership was complex.

l'm sure we only paid him a small wage on that basis that we would only receive a small percentage of any fee, with the player/agent getting most of it, to compensate for the small wage.

Being a rainy crap day and I was bored I started looking at some old programmes and came across a East Fife v Rovers from March 2009.  It had all the league attendances for each club.

Team                                        Played                                    Total                                      Highest                                  Average

Raith Rovers                                          13                                       26,759                                   4,812                                       2,058

Ayr                                                13                                      17,693                                    2,368                                       1,361

East Fife                                       12                                      10,386                                    1,980                                         866

These are the top three the Rovers highest and the East Fife highest league crowds were when the two played each other.  Not sure about the Ayr highest total. 

The things you do when your retired and it's a crap day outside.  Anyway sorry to have bored all of you.

Ok so team Vs Brora
GK Training Cone 1
DF Training Cone 2 McKay Davo Training Cone 3
MF Berry Thorsen Mathews Training Cone 4
FW Osei Court

I'd be more than happy to risk McHattie in this game tbf. :lol:

Anyway, he's only had one 90 minute competitive game this season, so it makes sense to give him another game to get him fit.

It's not helpful to the young players to just chuck them all in for their first competitive start together. Needs to be a mix with some experience to help them through. Also, as much as this competition is a farce a home defeat to Brora helps nobody.

I'd go with

Brian

McHattie

Davo

McKay

Thomson

Barr

Berry

Matthews

Thorsen

Spence/Buchanan

Osei/Court

That still leaves us resting Lennox, Bene, Murray, Robertson, Callachan, Vaughan and one of Spence or Buchanan. 

Edited by R.R.FC

Hypothetically speaking, say a bid of £100k came in, it might Ben worth thinking that would be the marker for development fee in the summer should he go to the club who offered that.  Personally I don't think he will leave just now and it's news to me, thats not to say it isn't happening, I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to play for McKinnon next season.