The New Raith Rovers Thread

Must have done some great business in the summer as your team was gash at Starks Park v 10 men

We have done some great business thanks for noticing.

Same could be said for you lot when you played us last season. The 1-1 draw at Starks and the 1-0 defeat at Somerset Raith were dreadful.

Ayr fans literally never learn. They talk themselves up every season and inevitably crumble when push comes to shove. 
I'd imagine this season they'll likely be top till about Dec/Jan when the bottle goes. 

We've got a better team this time around and are fighting for the title against a weaker team than the one Dunfermline had.

It's a long and hard season for sure but I'm confident of winning the title.

We have done some great business thanks for noticing.

Same could be said for you lot when you played us last season. The 1-1 draw at Starks and the 1-0 defeat at Somerset Raith were dreadful.

We played a forward in goals, and you only won by one goal? How is that in any shape or form a positive?

We've punted the dross like Johnston, Jordan Thompson, Skacel and Stewart (the latter was a good player but injured too often). We've replaced that with Scott Robertson, a returning Lewis Vaughan and two of the top three goal scorers in this league from last season.

We've also retained a lot of players who helped us get to the promotion playoffs the season before.

You can't guarantee success at any level, but that's a positive on our part. Geggan and Reid are good signings, but other than that I don't think Ayr have any players who I'm particularly impressed by.

I reckon our first 11 has enough quality to win this league, but think the fact we have very little outside that will cost us.

We have the core of a side who have done very well before at a level better than this, so I certainly don't have any fear.

8 hours ago, SuperHans said:

So that's it then, without Vaughan we can't win this league. Even with the other 2 strikers we have?

Our squad is tiny,  so it's not like we can afford to be a 1st team player down anyway. He offers something very different to the other strikers and indeed, to Barr as well. I see him as the creative link player, drifting into hard to pick up spaces and creating opportunities for others. No one else we have will do that role and and yeah we aren't going to find an obvious replacement for him on our budget this late in the transfer window.

Edited by renton

7 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

We've got a better team this time around and are fighting for the title against a weaker team than the one Dunfermline had.

It's a long and hard season for sure but I'm confident of winning the title.

We've not signed many but one thing we've got this year is a manger with a clue about football from off the pitch.

In the end Locke's idea of attacking football was shove 7 up front and see what happens. Usually nothing.

Can't remember coming away from a defeat last season as positive as I did from the Dundee game, to be honest it was rarely a positive feeling even after watching us squeeze a win.

If Killie want him, slap a £100,000 fee on him. I rate Vaughan highly and I'd be absolutely gutted if he went for a nominal fee

Why would they pay? I'm sure Sevco have told them we just give our players away as, "it would have been wrong of us to stand in his way"

We have a good first team but we were only missing Bobby Barr last night and our bench had around 10 competitive first team appearances between it (five or six starts only, between Osei/Court). It's an unknown quantity, really, over the course of a season players like Osei, Thorsen, Berry, etc will have to start matches, and they'll have to play well. Hopefully can avoid having to play four or five at the same time but it's completely out of our hands. Can't really predict either way how it'll go. If the main men keep fit? I'd fancy us to win it.

Also, last night was our first away win since October. 15 competitive matches.

Why would they pay? I'm sure Sevco have told them we just give our players away as, "it would have been wrong of us to stand in his way"

We have to learn from the mistakes of the past. I'm sure Barry will stand up to our "board"

Watching Barry's interviews are a breath of fresh air. It's a team ethic we've lacked since McGlynn and McKinnon. Feeling optimistic. Ayr are the rivals, they've done well in the cup. No disrespect to the other teams in this division. But WE must keep Vaughan

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Where did you see that?

Have a look at their thread on the Prem forum.

Interestingly, if you believe the posts from Killie fans, they've agreed terms with the players they're looking to bring in and it's down to both clubs (whoever they may be) to settle the players release. Could be Vaughan, might not be. No one knows. I'd have suspected if Vaughan had been speaking to Killie there would have been some leak by now. these normally don't keep quiet for long. Is Bambino alive? haha. He seemed to enjoy his goals last night and came across like he was enjoying being here. Just have to wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Have a look at their thread on the Prem forum.

Interestingly, if you believe the posts from Killie fans, they've agreed terms with the players they're looking to bring in and it's down to both clubs (whoever they may be) to settle the players release. Could be Vaughan, might not be. No one knows. I'd have suspected if Vaughan had been speaking to Killie there would have been some leak by now. these normally don't keep quiet for long. Is Bambino alive? haha. He seemed to enjoy his goals last night and came across like he was enjoying being here. Just have to wait and see.

This is the thing, you'd expect someone to have leaked this on our side by now. Even if Vaughan's contract had some weird, premier league offer release clause, we'd still be due the development fee, right?