The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

with all due respect, were you at the game ?

best player this season, was immense against the Pars, Utd and last night

if he keeps on performing the way he has been doing 

we will be lucky if he is still here when the transfer window closes

Yeah I was there. That's totally fine if you think he was good. I honestly just didn't see it. People see games differently, that's what this forum is for at the end of the day. 

I did say earlier though that I hope it does work out for him here and he has a good season.

Teams coming in for him before the window shuts though? I'd have to disagree with that too. Probably won't happen. I don't think we'll lose anyone else either. Vaughan might be the only one. But most teams will know this is his final year and can potentially pick him up for a small development fee. 

Dissapointing to lose both games, arguabaly would have been better to start with Buckie and Cowden to give us a decent shot at progressing but it's a competition we basically will never win again. (Unless this takeover brings in Messi to go with the plastic pitch) 

Main focus is the league that's for sure. Obviously a big cup draw for the monies would be a bonus too. 

Agree with all of that Wardy.  

Vaughan and potentially Matthews are the only two I'd imagine we'd really need to worry about. I'd imagine teams in the league above will have their eye on Vaughan, and might throw in a bid to see we'd take it. I'd imagine him and Andy Ryan are the two young players in this league clubs will be looking at as potential options. Fortunately for us, Vaughan is clearly enjoying being back with us (as seen with his celebration last night). Tbh, after the close season panic, I'm confident we'll keep both Vaughan and Matthews and I'm confident they'll be massive players for us. 

As I said on Fantalk, given we're unlikely to go through now, I'd be quite happy for us to go and give some of the younger lads like Osei, Thorsen, Berry and McKay some much needed game time in the final two league cup games. It's disappointing but it was always going to be a big ask to progress. I'd far rather that we gave the younger lads some match experience compared to throwing them in at the deep end in league games later on. 

It'll be interesting to see how we are going forwards. It's all well and good watching us play the likes of the Dundee teams, but we'll be playing against teams who will try to sit in and hit us on the counter a lot of the time. 

We're out of the League Cup btw, seen a few 'unlikely to go through' kind of posts. We can in theory finish second (needs us to win both, Dundee or Dundee Utd to lose to Cowdenbeath or Buckie, and a big GD swing) but six points wasn't enough to send anyone through as the best second place last year - indeed, we went out with eight points.

Not that it really matters, as League 1 diddies we were always unlikely to go through, but it's worth bearing in mind the next couple of matches are essentially friendlies. No point overreacting to them, either way.

It would be great to see some of the younger lads get some game time, but I also think it's important to build some momentum going in to the opening league game so it will be interesting to see what the line ups are.

I thought Robertson had his poorest game in terms of passing and ball retention etc, but some of his break up play was really good and possibly goes under the radar. As others have said, we've played 3 teams all in leagues above us so I think we'll see how good a player he'll be for us once the league games start.

Davidson looks shaky at CH. some very sloppy passes, clearances etc. over pre season and the first couple of games. Hopefully they're out of his system now and he can have a good season for us.

Really encouraged so far. We need to hope the squad stays fit and free of suspension, as I think our 11 will be the best 11. Not so sure we will have the best squad though. Possibly once players are moved on higher up the leagues we could see a loan or two coming in.

Been very impressed with Robertson so far - hope that continues! Having him back is like a new signing. Buchanan Callaghan and Murray have all equally impressed in the few games I've seen so far.

I would like to hope we make a couple of loan moves when more players become available on the market. Squad looks very thin on the ground, so bringing potentially 2 in on loan would strengthen the squad. However, fact of relegation means at stages during the season we will need to rely on some of the younger guys - Yaw played fairly well on Tuesday night, and would be good to maybe see Thorsen McKay and Berry get a bit of time in upcoming matches against Cowden and Buckie.

This business of leaving Murray at left back because he's done fine there so far and signing a centre half to play beside Bene is not sound thinking. What happens if Murray gets injured? Who's going to play left back then? Are we going to stick Benedictus out there again or play Jason Thomson there? 

Far better to sign a recognised left back and get on with it. A fit McHattie would do me just fine.

I'd much rather we signed someone other McHattie, particularly as he's been injured, but we do need a left back. We have Murray there but he is also one of 3 players we have who plays CB. If he's out, trouble begins. 

There's no real urgency at this moment in time. Holding off for McHattie might be the logic as well as the fact we are likely in the hunt for loan signings that will be
be made available from their clubs. We've got a big advantage with loans this season as are technically the only 100% full time team in the league and a lot of clubs would want to have their players farmed out to a full time club to keep things consistent. If McHattie signs then great but as mentioned above, I'd be after at least 1 more central defensive loan coming in so we can ensure all bases are covered. Davo as utility midfield/defence (worse case scenario).

I'm not against McHattie in generally. He had a shocker in the later parts of the season but he was carrying an injury. I can recall Rory McKeown having a nightmare under Grant Murray but a completely different under McKinnon. As long as he gets the correct rehab time and not rushed back, I think he could be a good player for us at this level. Definitely a better option than we have at the moment.

I’d rather have Murray out at left back than Mchattie to be honest.

Why? I think he doesn't have the attacking threat that McHattie has going forward. I've heard from people who have played and trained with McHattie that he is a very talented player. However I've also heard things about his attitude.

13 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Why? I think he doesn't have the attacking threat that McHattie has going forward. I've heard from people who have played and trained with McHattie that he is a very talented player. However I've also heard things about his attitude.

As much as I don't think it's a part of the game which comes naturally to him, he did set up our goal on Tuesday.

Because Mchattie is absolutely awful at defending.  I’m all for full backs getting forward, but a full back who cant defend is pointless. 

He might well be very good “technically” – but he isn’t a very good defender at all. 

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

I'm not against McHattie in generally. He had a shocker in the later parts of the season but he was carrying an injury. I can recall Rory McKeown having a nightmare under Grant Murray but a completely different under McKinnon. As long as he gets the correct rehab time and not rushed back, I think he could be a good player for us at this level. Definitely a better option than we have at the moment.

"a better option" than Murray, don't think so