The New Raith Rovers Thread

Regarding the takeover:

I had reservations about the whole thing at the beginning, admittedly based on only one side of the story which obviously is never a good idea.

Having heard John Sim speak last night, it's evident that he is determined to have the club running fluently and I'm convinced that he has RRFC's wellbeing at heart.

I just hope that this goes through quickly so the club can start to repair some of the damage and possibly allow Barry Smith some leeway with regards to bolstering his squad.

'Mon the Rovers.

Regarding the takeover:
I had reservations about the whole thing at the beginning, admittedly based on only one side of the story which obviously is never a good idea.
Having heard John Sim speak last night, it's evident that he is determined to have the club running fluently and I'm convinced that he has RRFC's wellbeing at heart.
I just hope that this goes through quickly so the club can start to repair some of the damage and possibly allow Barry Smith some leeway with regards to bolstering his squad.
'Mon the Rovers.

Did he give an indication of when it's likely to go through?

Regarding the takeover:
'Mon the Rovers.

I seem to have missed this. Where was John Sim speaking?

I've started to panic already, with all this takeover stuff and our small squad and the robust nature of this league, our ball players will automatically be targets for some rough housing. I might be worrying over nothing, but injuries and suspensions will kill us. We need to hit the ground running and fast

17 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I've started to panic already, with all this takeover stuff and our small squad and the robust nature of this league, our ball players will automatically be targets for some rough housing. I might be worrying over nothing, but injuries and suspensions will kill us. We need to hit the ground running and fast

I think Ross Matthews first start for the club was a midweek cup game against Celtic under McKinnon. Within 5 minutes he'd dumped Scott Brown on his arse. I'm not worried about us getting bullied. I do think the small squad is an issue - though it's no worse off in terms of numbers than Ayr, it's about how much filler there is in the squad, will guys like Osei and Thorsen really make the grade? We won't really know until the league is under way, but I suspect we don't have enough in the tank to win the league, although at the moment I'm confident we'd be in with a good shout at the promotion play offs.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

I think Ross Matthews first start for the club was a midweek cup game against Celtic under McKinnon. Within 5 minutes he'd dumped Scott Brown on his arse. I'm not worried about us getting bullied. I do think the small squad is an issue - though it's no worse off in terms of numbers than Ayr, it's about how much filler there is in the squad, will guys like Osei and Thorsen really make the grade? We won't really know until the league is under way, but I suspect we don't have enough in the tank to win the league, although at the moment I'm confident we'd be in with a good shout at the promotion play offs.

This is pretty much my thoughts. More than happy with that starting 11 for this level, but there really is not much else. Pressure on these young lads, and I guess we will get a good idea where the youth system actually is.

Let's be positive!

Take over stuff - new venture for the club potentially bringing in a much more stable footing and creating an actual footing for us to move forward.

Small squad - Works well as a team, keeps the budget from being over spent and less seats required on busses for long journeys...

Ball players becoming targets - 2 out of 3 of our "ball players" have just finished a season in this league with great returns. They'll know exactly what their going to be dealing with this season so I have no worries about them not being able to handle themselves.

Injuries and suspensions - we've not made any loan signings yet and I'm sure we will at some point. As long as we don't reach our quota then there will always be room to bring someone in to cover positions. Not forgetting the youth team set up.

Relax man, sit back, have another cocktail and enjoy watching us romp this league [emoji41][emoji41]

The small squad size is undoubtedly an issue. The starting XI is fine (although we do need a left back) but then we are swiftly onto Ross Matthews and a bunch of players who are as of yet untested. Unfortunately, these are the consequences of being relegated. 

We need a left back and ideally someone who can play wide in midfield. I think we'll maybe we'll get the LB although it seems the eggs are all in an injured basket on that front. 

The small squad size is undoubtedly an issue. The starting XI is fine (although we do need a left back) but then we are swiftly onto Ross Matthews and a bunch of players who are as of yet untested. Unfortunately, these are the consequences of being relegated. 
We need a left back and ideally someone who can play wide in midfield. I think we'll maybe we'll get the LB although it seems the eggs are all in an injured basket on that front. 

Is Murray not able to slip into left back if needed then it's just a case of Benedictus babysitting Davo for 90mins if the worst came to worst?

Maybe we'll play 3 at the back this season if it's required?

9 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Is Murray not able to slip into left back if needed then it's just a case of Benedictus babysitting Davo for 90mins if the worst came to worst?

Maybe we'll play 3 at the back this season if it's required?

Not unless we sign a left back who can play out there.

We have exactly two useful subs, depending on who we start at the minute. Going by Smith's last two games, those two subs are Matthews and Court. The latter very much looks like our chase-the-game-the-wee-guys-haven't-done-the-job type player. Beyond that we're into the kids, the two "forward thinking" amongst them being Thorsen and Osei. In fairness, Osei looked alright in his ten minute cameo on Saturday.

Assuming McHattie signs, if we have anything left in the budget for a loan signing it has to be a wide player. That way, we can, if Smith was so inclined, free up Vaughan for other duties (although he's doing well in his current Craigen role of playing out on the wing when we don't have the ball and drifting in field when we're in possession)  and let us move to a flatter 4-4-2 if required.

Edited by renton

If the injured LB we're after is McHattie I can only assume we're stalling on the basis his injury might be more severe than what was originally anticipated making the club question whether it's worth pursuing him or not. 

I have nothing to gauge whether we're good enough in comparison to other teams by not knowing an awful lot about the other squads in this league. Even Ayr's team, minus one or two, don't have many names jumping out at me. I watched them against Kilmarnock and thought they looked ok at best and I get a feeling there was the standard 'game being raised' effect due to the team they were playing. From a confidence point of view it'll have worked wonders with their fans no doubt.