The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, philpy said:

If he has, then I genuinely didn't know. Then again, the pars fan I spoke to was an older gentleman with a tracksuit top that he's probably had since the late 80s, and a cap with hundreds of pin badges on it. Dottery auld c**t had probably forgotten spence had went elsewhere.

Was probably thinking of Greig Spence...

I think the signings that we do make (aside from McHattie if we go down that route) will be to either get a few loanees and maybe see if we pick up players who might find themselves under contract at bigger clubs who aren't part of any plans. 

We have 3 trialists at the minute

Matthew Rooney, a 27 yr old striker who's spent the last 6 months at Cowden despite being injured the entire time.

Calvin Colquhoun, a 20 yr old CM who was released last month from Dundee.

Michael McMullin, a 20 yr old CB who was released by Partick last month. He can also play LB.

We have 3 trialists at the minute

Matthew Rooney, a 27 yr old striker who's spent the last 6 months at Cowden despite being injured the entire time.

Calvin Colquhoun, a 20 yr old CM who was released last month from Dundee.

Michael McMullin, a 20 yr old CB who was released by Partick last month. He can also play LB.

Not exactly inspiring, but I suppose that's what happens after you've been relegated.

Not exactly inspiring, but I suppose that's what happens after you've been relegated.

You should still be looking at better players than that, we've just been relegated and none of our signings have looked as poor as that.

You should still be looking at better players than that, we've just been relegated and none of our signings have looked as poor as that.

It is becoming painfully obvious we have blown most of our budget on Spence and Buchanan.

Granted I know heehaw about any of those players but two of them coming from Premiership teams must be some sort of mild positive. Yes I get they've been released but they've obviously had something about them to have been there in the first place.

It is becoming painfully obvious we have blown most of our budget on Spence and Buchanan.

I know Barry Smith isn't the best manager but surely he's not been so stupid as to do that.

If he has done that then he deserves to get sacked if you don't go back up. Buchanan and Spence alone won't be enough to win the league.

3 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Yes I get they've been released but they've obviously had something about them to have been there in the first place.

I used to think that way and then we encountered Locke who brought with him many ex hearts Neeburs plus

Jordan Thompson
Scott Roberts
David? Syme.

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

No it isn't. There's nothing at all to suggest that we've thrown away the budget at all. 

We've got three forwards already who are more than good enough for this level, as well as Court (and potentially Osei) as back up. It's a question of finding the right players for the right area rather than punting money on whoever comes along. Not for one second do I think we're going to release the players we have without bringing in players permanently or loanees. 

13 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I know Barry Smith isn't the best manager but surely he's not been so stupid as to do that.

If he has done that then he deserves to get sacked if you don't go back up. Buchanan and Spence alone won't be enough to win the league.

But our squad isn't based on them alone. We've got Vaughan, Barr, Callachan, Matthews, Cuthbert and Thomson who'll be fine at this level. Even an aging Scott Robertson and Davo should be fine. This is before we add in additional players whether as our own players or loanees. 

People are confusing blowing a budget with having to run with a tight squad due to relegation.

Also people would be absolutely losing their shit if we had brought in say 3 lower league journeyman in place of Spence and Buchanan.

We've probably also "Blown our budget" on keeping the likes of Matthews and Vaughan.

People need to get a grip we have not blown our budget on 2 players we went down our squad will be a lot smaller as will our budget plus if u listen to smith we will be playing a few of our young players I am sure we will get a few more players in there are players training with us and they will get a chance over the friendly,s that we have.

Unfortunately we're not in a position to cherry pick players, and the reality is we'll get what's left over. It's upto the management and players have to show they have what it takes to get out of this league. It'll be hard going that's for sure. I can't wait to go back to Forfar and Arbroath this season.

People need to get a grip we have not blown our budget on 2 players we went down our squad will be a lot smaller as will our budget plus if u listen to smith we will be playing a few of our young players I am sure we will get a few more players in there are players training with us and they will get a chance over the friendly,s that we have.

We pretty much have blown the budget on them. We've signed two proven forwards as marquee signings but judging by the signing of Murray and then the details of the guys we have on trial I think any further gaps are just getting plugged by anyone who is cheap and available.

20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We pretty much have blown the budget on them. We've signed two proven forwards as marquee signings but judging by the signing of Murray and then the details of the guys we have on trial I think any further gaps are just getting plugged by anyone who is cheap and available.

What proportion of our budget have we spent on Spence and Buchanan?