The New Raith Rovers Thread

Mchattie was decent at the beginning of the season , but unfortunately required an operation on his hernia and played most of the second half of the season unfit and probably in a lot of discomfort think it shows a lot for the guy that he was still willing to put the jersey on. As for positional sense I agree in what's been said by most regarding being caught out etc but as I stated early injury, leaky defence, no confidence throughout the team, could have been all factors in poor form. Think people forget we are a division 1 club and haven't the same appeal to new players now so if Mchattie signs I'll be happy with that and will give him my backing, heard someone mention McKeown ? We can't compete with the wages down south even in the blue sqaure , vanarama whatever league it is , absolutely deluded even some Spl clubs can't pay those wages,

1 hour ago, renton said:

Aye, but that defence wasn't exactly water tight.

True but there were mitigating circumstances.

For half a season we didn't have a goalkeeper worthy of the name, a situation bound to make those in front of him a tad jittery.

Bene is the best centre half on the books yet he was played RB or LB for spells to allow Mvoto and Barr to do their thing.

Thomson was injured for a large spell and came back less than assured.

McHattie himself was carrying an injury for a lengthy spell too, that said I do share your concerns regarding his competency to do the basics and actually defend. We can only hope that as he mature he becomes a better defender in the process.

Not ideal by a long chalk but perhaps better than signing someone else only to discover they are worse, thus the 1 year deal option.

heard someone mention McKeown ? We can't compete with the wages down south even in the blue sqaure , vanarama whatever league it is , absolutely deluded even some Spl clubs can't pay those wages,

We've just taken his team mate from them (Euan Murray)

I'm pretty sure he was offered a deal with them to stay and decided to come up here...

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

We've just taken his team mate from them (Euan Murray)

I'm pretty sure he was offered a deal with them to stay and decided to come up here...

I think it was because  his partner has just had a kid and he wanted to come home.

I've already said and it looks like im one of the few who would be happy to see McHattie return. Whilst he has his flaws, he is great going forward and under better management I believe we can get the best out of him.

I actually thought he was alright at the start of last season.

McHattie isn't great going forward at all. His final ball is absolutely shocking.

He can't defend to save himself on top of that..

I won't be able to get myself up to cheer on the side that relegated us. So far it is that side with only 3 new additions( Buchanan, Spence and Murray)

It's looking like we're relying on the side that wasn't good enough for the championship to be too good for league 1. :lol:

I genuinely thought getting relegated would give us the chance of a major clear out and re-shaping the squad..

3 of the back four that relegated us will be in the starting line-up for the season coming? They weren't good enough for the Championship but we're expecting them to be good enough for the title in League One back to the Championship?

Curious as to how people come to the conclusion that 'he was pish last season but fine for league 1'. If we want to win league 1 filling our team full of championship failures is not the way to go. I saw nothing from him last season to suggest he is capable of playing pro football at any level. He is an abortion of a left back who is only still in the game because he is mates with Gary Locke. Get him to f**k. 

Whilst I appreciate we are fishing in a shallow pond anyway, we can surely do better than Mchattie.  I’d bet that whoever plays LB in the youth team would do a better job.

His positional sense is absolutely dire and his use of the ball is shocking.  That isn’t suddenly going to get any better in League 1.

26 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

McHattie isn't great going forward at all. His final ball is absolutely shocking.

He can't defend to save himself on top of that..

I won't be able to get myself up to cheer on the side that relegated us. So far it is that side with only 3 new additions( Buchanan, Spence and Murray)

It's looking like we're relying on the side that wasn't good enough for the championship to be too good for league 1. :lol:

I genuinely thought getting relegated would give us the chance of a major clear out and re-shaping the squad..

3 of the back four that relegated us will be in the starting line-up for the season coming? They weren't good enough for the Championship but we're expecting them to be good enough for the title in League One back to the Championship?

Thoroughly depressing, isn't it.  

Geezo, is there this glowing assumption that the players, under a new management team I hasten to add, aren't going to be able to compete in League 1 on the back of a failed campaign last season yet a great campaign the season before that? The only major clear out we needed was Locke and Hughes and probably the loanees from last season. I'm not worried about who we've signed or who we've retained I'm more worried about the lack of signing activity since the triple signing weeks ago. 

I don't think people are being realistic here, we're Raith Rovers not Real Madrid. This is the price we (well the board tbh) are paying for last years failure.

Just out of interest who do people think we should be signing?

McHattie isn't Kieran Tierney but hey its the 3rd tier in Scottish football we're in FFS.  I'd rather have Booth or McKeown in fact Id rather have Sean Mackie back on loan from Hibs but if it's McHattie then though not everyone pick it's not the worst thing that could happen. After all we could end up with another Ibrox starlet like McKay or Scott Roberts.

Most of the squad were putrid last season but that was a downhill progression from August that saw the life drained out of the side (Locked in syndrome followed by Hughes disease), if Barry Smith can get a positive reaction from this side anything like McKinnon got from 75% of the same players then we should be home and hosed.

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Geezo, is there this glowing assumption that the players, under a new management team I hasten to add, aren't going to be able to compete in League 1 on the back of a failed campaign last season yet a great campaign the season before that? The only major clear out we needed was Locke and Hughes and probably the loanees from last season. I'm not worried about who we've signed or who wIe've retained I'm more worried about the lack of signing activity since the triple signing weeks ago. 

I've got no problem with Benedictus, Barr, Vaughan, Callachan or Matthews  - I think those guys will more than make the grade in league 1. I think McHattie is a woefully bad left back and I will always have my doubts about Davo as a centre back. I think my chief concern is the same as yours, the utter lack of any type of squad. We can't rely on the kids suddenly filling out into decent league 1 players overnight, nor can we expect to have Bene and Davo fit and unsuspended week in week out.

Flip side is, why should we settle for players who we know are shite, just because we have been relegated?

Nobody is suggesting we can command a type of player that’s just too good for this league.  But that doesent mean we should be settling for guys who have proven pretty conclusively that they aren’t very good.

I refuse to believe that we cant find a better LB than Mchattie, even at the level we are at just now.

On the fence myself, would be great if we could get someone in who is an upgrade on McHattie however he isn't as bad as some are making out. He should indeed be good enough for 'this level', if there are no better options then dont mind us chucking him a one year contact, with any luck our wee left back could challenge him for place as the season progresses...

I would actually be more concerned with other side, if we get the JT that rampages up and down the flank while defending solidly then great but if we get the JT that returned from injury 2nd half of last season then we are in trouble, he looked a mile off the pace, really hope it was niggling fitness issues that have since disappeared 

38 minutes ago, Geordie_Munrover said:

All I can say is McHattie is a rovers supporter and he actually wants to play for the club... IMO we need guys like that. Guys who actually want to be here. Give him a chance to right the wrongs

How is him being a Rovers fan relevant? I'm a Rovers fan and feel I am to good for my current Sunday league side. Should they sign me up? I would want to be there and try my absolute best every week.

If you are not good enough your not good enough regardless of who you support. Would much rather have someone who has been a lifelong townie and can actually play left back than McHattie. Surely a professional footballer should be giving maximum effort and dedication for their employer no matter what team they supported growing up. 

How is him being a Rovers fan relevant? I'm a Rovers fan and feel I am to good for my current Sunday league side. Should they sign me up? I would want to be there and try my absolute best every week.
If you are not good enough your not good enough regardless of who you support. Would much rather have someone who has been a lifelong townie and can actually play left back than McHattie. Surely a professional footballer should be giving maximum effort and dedication for their employer no matter what team they supported growing up. 

Of course it's relevant... he will want to prove doubters like yourself wrong. The lad does have it in him... scored some quality goals last season, one v dundee united in particular.