The New Raith Rovers Thread

IIRC he wanted the stadium loan settled then plunge the club back into debt by taking out a loan for ground improvements/changes.

There was talk of artificial pitches and stadium being relocated. I think it was all off the cuff chat. His point was basically that there should be some kind of plan for the future in place now that the stadium repayment is almost finished. I think the last season highlighted his concerns. Where were the club going? Where do we see ourselves? And what's our ambitions? Maybe the fact that the clubs dropped a league and in a vulnerable position with the board on the back foot, the clubs actually quite a tasty looking investment for someone.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't Penman though and I'd be interested to know what the case was with the stadium.

1 hour ago, Geordie_Munrover said:

Reason we aren't signing anyone is that there is a lot going on behind the scenes with regards to the board. Basically a takeover is going ahead and put it this way, don't be surprised if there a few board members replaced with new investors, maybe even a new chairman. John sim has a lot to do with it

Well, this is new to me. Also interesting yet slightly alarming...

Hopefully we will hear further soon. 

In fairness I think this would be a good time to buy the club we are In a bit of a fragile position, recently relegated, shambles behind the scenes and a bit of uncertainty with who owns what. That said biggish club for the league and i rhink we have been badly run in some respects ie the commercial side of it, club shop hospitality etc.

If someone came in who could grip up the whole thing there is potential to push on.

Penman moving back to Kirkcaldy is fairly well documented. Also heard a couple months back he was interested so would assume this is the change that could happen.

If someone wants to plow money into the club that would be good so long as it doesn't jeopardise the long term future of the club. Unfortunately the last time we had proper regime change came because of Claude and what was going on at the time. Not something I wish to see happen again.

1 hour ago, Rovers_Lad said:

If it is indeed JS the man is very much a speculator to accumulate

Not long after he got involved with the club he was wanting the club to put in hospitality boxes in the Railway Stand

That is what he inferred that the loan would be for.

A loan to do something with the railway stand is no bad thing. If it's for boxes they would be installing something that over time would provide a fincial return at the minute its a bit of a disgrace abandoned and ready to fall down.

Would it be the whole stand ie removing the seats from the away over spill or just the home bit that's derelict?

What's the regulations with pitches can we get an artificial surface? because that is another investment that will bring revenue from renting it out.

We are in no position to move to a new ground so need to try and get as much return from the current facilities as possible.

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

A loan to do something with the railway stand is no bad thing. If it's for boxes they would be installing something that over time would provide a fincial return at the minute its a bit of a disgrace abandoned and ready to fall down.

Would it be the whole stand ie removing the seats from the away over spill or just the home bit that's derelict?

What's the regulations with pitches can we get an artificial surface? because that is another investment that will bring revenue from renting it out.

We are in no position to move to a new ground so need to try and get as much return from the current facilities as possible.

No.

These were all pipeline dreams that caused a lot of concern and confusion amongst the other directors at the time. I wouldn't disagree with some of the notions he mentioned but it's one thing saying these things and it's another thing implementing them. I think his point at the time was "where are we going?" We had secured championship status and were just plodding along. At the time he was sneered at for the suggestions but in hindsight maybe being proactive 2 seasons ago wouldn't have us sitting in League 1 now?

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

In fairness I think this would be a good time to buy the club we are In a bit of a fragile position, recently relegated, shambles behind the scenes and a bit of uncertainty with who owns what. That said biggish club for the league and i rhink we have been badly run in some respects ie the commercial side of it, club shop hospitality etc.

If someone came in who could grip up the whole thing there is potential to push on.

This. For me, it's utterly baffling how the club is handled commercially. The only positive which we have going on that front, which is even then independent as far as I know, is RaithTV where Niall and co are fantastic. I mentioned when we were relegated, if you look at our commercial side we've got a CEO (Drysdale), a Commercial Director (Tom Morgan), a Business Development Executive we hired last year and a few other marketing staff I'm aware of. Yet our commercial side appears to be updates on the website, the occasional thing on twitter and hospitality. From time to time, we'll see events pop up where they'll plug to the usual crowd. 

They'll throw out the occasional hashtag like #bepartofit or #roaringback and hope that the kids will be happy. It's brutal to watch clubs like Dunfermline and Falkirk have far more slick operations which get out and about their towns on a daily basis, while we flounder about. Even if we partnered up with a graphics and print firm (ironically, I know of one who are working with the Pars and Hearts who are local) where we strike a deal with them to run posters, signs etc and try to get them about the town while they get publicity in return. 

It's almost like the club have been resigned that we'll get 2,000 fans for bigger games. Whoever had the idea of pandering to Hearts fans with a hospitality and Q&A session with lock and Skacel last season for the Scottish Cup should be fired out of a cannon in the pre-show when Coldplay come and do their benefit gig. 

As for the takeover, it's very much either going to be an excellent thing or a disaster. The last thing we need is the work of reclaim the rovers going out the window and the club having no assets to work with and a person with unknown intentions at the helm. But then it could move us forward. Hard to say based on speculation.