The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think every player went backwards last season especially with yogi. 

I would keep him the squads small enough as it is and are we going to get better in return?

This season will be about professional pride and people trying to mend their reputations and prove it was all down to duff managers.

Who would you bring in to replace him then?

Don't really see all the hype over Callachan. Tried hard and works away tirelessly but just not got it for me. Doesn't chip in with many goals and can't pick out that killer pass which can unlock defences.

Him and Matthews similar players for me, if it's 2 in midfield we opt for would rather one of them paired with a more creative minded player. From what I saw last season in terms of breaking up play, would maybe say I prefer Matthews.

Sorry for me I seen Matthews picking up the ball in front of the back four and making the passes. IMO two different type players

Sorry for me I seen Matthews picking up the ball in front of the back four and making the passes. IMO two different type players

So because he picked up the ball from the back 4 it makes them two different type of players? Matthews was probably the more defensive minded out of the pairing from the games I seen so I was expect him to be deeper and creating that link between midfield and defence.

Point I was making is that they are really similar in both their in that they both work hard and try hard, both are good at interrupting and breaking up play, none of them possess that real killer final ball at times and neither really chips in with a lot of goals.

For me you can't have two central midfielders who are too similar, if they play in a two that is. If it's a 3-5-2 day, with 2 protecting the defence then it's a different ball game.

We've made two cracking signings up top for this new campaign who need the service to bang in these goals. These 2 young lads were paired in our midfield a few times last season and overall the amount of times we netted was poor. Can moan about McManus we"was pish" etc. But from the games I saw last season these guys had zero service at times and at most times had to try great their own half chances.

I just fear that we go into the season again with this pairing we could go down the same route. Could be proven wrong though as we were run by two poor managers last season. So for me personally would pair one of them with someone a bit more creative and let Matthews/Callachan do the dirty work as they say.

So because he picked up the ball from the back 4 it makes them two different type of players? Matthews was probably the more defensive minded out of the pairing from the games I seen so I was expect him to be deeper and creating that link between midfield and defence.

Point I was making is that they are really similar in both their in that they both work hard and try hard, both are good at interrupting and breaking up play, none of them possess that real killer final ball at times and neither really chips in with a lot of goals.

For me you can't have two central midfielders who are too similar, if they play in a two that is. If it's a 3-5-2 day, with 2 protecting the defence then it's a different ball game.

We've made two cracking signings up top for this new campaign who need the service to bang in these goals. These 2 young lads were paired in our midfield a few times last season and overall the amount of times we netted was poor. Can moan about McManus we"was pish" etc. But from the games I saw last season these guys had zero service at times and at most times had to try great their own half chances.

I just fear that we go into the season again with this pairing we could go down the same route. Could be proven wrong though as we were run by two poor managers last season. So for me personally would pair one of them with someone a bit more creative and let Matthews/Callachan do the dirty work as they say.

Agree, the issue I am worried with , what you have already mentioned Is the final pass from midfield. Yes we have two goalscorers but they are not the tallest and seem to prefer to run off the shoulder of a defender as opposed to holding up the play. I wonder if they think Robertson will be fit to play this season. There has been little spoken of him playing.

If we could shift Callachan's wages and bring in another centre midfielder I'd be all for it, Matthews and Callachan are similar players and Matthews is the far better of the two imo. I've no doubt Callachan may be a decent player on his day in this league but the amount of possession he wastes and the number of terrible 30 yarder shots he blazes miles wide or over annoy me on a weekly basis. 

To be fair to Callachan, these days he usually limits himself to one 30 yarder per game and they are getting closer. If he can just drop the ball another yard he'll be Scotland's Glen Hoddle. A majestic footballer who can ping in long-rangers and who will possibly go on to blame disabled people for being evil in a past lifetime.

Not long until the season starts.

9 hours ago, fnxNTC said:

Who would you bring in to replace him then?

I don't know every player who's available all over the country or even farther afield, it's not my job too. The point I'm making is that Matthews and Callachan are too similar and if letting Callachan go allows us too bring in a player who plays further forward, picks out more decisive passes and can actually shoot a football then I wouldn't be against seeing what's out there. 

The question of who replace a player with is almost secondary to the question of who will actually come here. Already, Craig Barr has left to go PT and a signing target joined East Fife to stay PT because we couldn't offer enough to make it worthwhile for them. 

Are we suddenly going to up our offers because we receive a derisory sum of money? I doubt it. There is the loan market, of course, and look how our reliance on that went last season. 

We really, really cannot afford to lose anyone. 

I find it quite amusing that people used to give so much grief to James Craigen who was pretty much the creative player we'd been crying out for over the years. Scored plenty of goals and got a good number of assists. Didn't help we kept trying to shoehorn him out to the wing either. I miss that McKinnon team from the second half of the season. 

I find it quite amusing that people used to give so much grief to James Craigen who was pretty much the creative player we'd been crying out for over the years. Scored plenty of goals and got a good number of assists. Didn't help we kept trying to shoehorn him out to the wing either. I miss that McKinnon team from the second half of the season. 

Craigen was probably our highest scoring midfielder since Cameron, couldn't understand the folk getting on his back

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I don't know every player who's available all over the country or even farther afield, it's not my job too. The point I'm making is that Matthews and Callachan are too similar and if letting Callachan go allows us too bring in a player who plays further forward, picks out more decisive passes and can actually shoot a football then I wouldn't be against seeing what's out there. 

There's a list on the p&b twitter page showing a list of all transfers so far including players that have been released and on that list I can't see any attacking minded centre mid that would drop down to join us. If you want an attacking minded centre mid we could always get Jordan Thompson back on a season long loan? Also what happened to everyone losing their shit when we lose a player that came through our youth system or does that not apply with Callachan?

55 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The question of who replace a player with is almost secondary to the question of who will actually come here. Already, Craig Barr has left to go PT and a signing target joined East Fife to stay PT because we couldn't offer enough to make it worthwhile for them. 

Are we suddenly going to up our offers because we receive a derisory sum of money? I doubt it. There is the loan market, of course, and look how our reliance on that went last season. 

We really, really cannot afford to lose anyone. 

difference between last season and this

NO Gary F Locke

58 minutes ago, fnxNTC said:

There's a list on the p&b twitter page showing a list of all transfers so far including players that have been released and on that list I can't see any attacking minded centre mid that would drop down to join us. If you want an attacking minded centre mid we could always get Jordan Thompson back on a season long loan? Also what happened to everyone losing their shit when we lose a player that came through our youth system or does that not apply with Callachan?

Well Callachan actually contributed to our first team, so it's not really the same is it?

Building yerself up before a ball is kicked! I like it. Hopefully yer players are over confident too. Bring it on

I hope so to. I'm pretty sure every study done on the subject has found a positive frame of mind more likely to produce a successful outcome in sport. The doom monger lives out a self fulfilling prophecy.