The New Raith Rovers Thread

Im not a fan. Has 4/5 game spells a season where he looks immense, but not good enough over a whole season. Loves missing a one on one. Pretty injury prone too.

Certainly think we have upgraded our striking options that's for sure.

31 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Mark Stewart then. Talk to me.

Spent a large chunk of last season injured (and tends to miss about a half dozen games a season to injury), before that we'd usually see a return of 10 goals a season from him. Willing runner and very fast. Think his best spell was when we managed to pair him with Vaughan, who's natural game is to drop deep, where Stewart would play off the shoulder. Last season he was largely paired with McManus and it suited neither guy. Decent shot on him, not too bad in the air either. His hold up play isn't too bad for not being a traditional target man type. Not prolific but will give you an outball. Was disappointed we let him go (and apparently it was the club, not him, who triggered the clause) but that seems to have allowed us to bring in Buchanan and Spence.

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

When? I must have missed these games when Stewart looked immense :huh:

October time he scored a few games in a row.  By immense, I'm comparing him to our other strikers :lol:

5 minutes ago, renton said:

Spent a large chunk of last season injured (and tends to miss about a half dozen games a season to injury), before that we'd usually see a return of 10 goals a season from him. 

If he can return anything close to 10 goals for us he'll be a good signing.

6 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Thats about half his goals tally in 90+ games for the Rovers

I think it's about 25 goals from 70 odd starts, and however many more sub appearances on that.

1 hour ago, renton said:

I think it's about 25 goals from 70 odd starts, and however many more sub appearances on that.

64 starts (in the league) and 25 goals. Put into perspective John Baird (who I was desperate for us to sign) has scored 32 in 84 starts, so it's not a dissimilar record. He's only played 3 times as a sub though, whereas Stewart came off the bench for you lot a belting 29 times.

Either way, I'm pleased. None of our players last season had that sort of goalscoring pedigree in the Championship.

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Either way, I'm pleased. None of our players last season had that sort of goalscoring pedigree in the Championship.

just out of interest what was Lewis's return for you?

5 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

64 starts (in the league) and 25 goals. Put into perspective John Baird (who I was desperate for us to sign) has scored 32 in 84 starts, so it's not a dissimilar record. He's only played 3 times as a sub though, whereas Stewart came off the bench for you lot a belting 29 times.

The archetypal 1 in 3 striker. Hope he does well for you guys. Always gave it evetything for us. Couple of belting goals in there as well.

Mark Stewart: a man once described by a Falkirk fan as like watching a speedboat without a driver. 

First thing is that he's highly injury prone as mentioned. He'll likely suffer a leg injury at some point in the season. He's useless playing up top on his own, and needs a partner to work off. He had a partnership with Nade in the past, but was more successful with Vaughan and Hardie under McKinnon. He loves running in behind defenders, but is often guilty of being offside which is frustrating. His workrate isn't in question, and with an injury free run in a team should get 7 to 10 goals for you. He won't get as many goals as Baird would, but he'll still be an asset. 

As for ourselves and our next moves, aside from left back I think we'll probably see a couple of additional attacking players come in for the midfield. Interesting to see McCall saying Ayr will only really look to sign a couple of extra players, and only get more if finances dictate. With our signings so far, I'm quite happy with the position we're at. I'd imagine we'll see more activity over the next week or so as players return from holidays and preseason starts.