The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Lennox injury prone? A torn hamstring is one thing but does a broken wrist and jaw from a collision make you injury prone?  Cuthbert on the other hand is a risk I'd say. He's been injured on and off since we signed him and had two lengthy lay offs that have both required surgery...what if the latest one isn't a success.

How often was he available for selection last season ?

he is a risk imho

18 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

How often was he available for selection last season ?

he is a risk imho

Total keeper stats

Cuthbert starts 25,  sub bench 6, (total availability 31 games).

Brennan Starts 9, subs bench 19 (including 2 appearances) (total availability 28 games)

Lennox starts 3, Subs bench 16 (inc 2 appearances), (total availability 19 games) 

Penksa starts 10, 0 subs appearances.

But we all can make anything out of statistics that you want Brennan was available for only 3 less games than Cuthbert, there were also a few games where Cuthbert was in goal and we had both Lennox and Brennan available on the bench. 

Lennox was available for selection only 12 times less than Cuthbert despite the fact that he missed half the season from mid Jan onwards due to receiving two fractures as a result of a collision with an over exuberant Dundee Utd youngster, personally I can't see that this is a sign of being injury prone but out of interest if those injuries had happened in a car crash would you have said the same thing? 

Callachan broke his arm last season falling over at a picnic and was our for 6 weeks, he also missed the last 2 months this season (since Falkirk away) again with a fracture, he must be injury prone too.

11 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Total keeper stats

Cuthbert starts 25,  sub bench 6, (total availability 31 games).

Brennan Starts 9, subs bench 19 (including 2 appearances) (total availability 28 games)

Lennox starts 3, Subs bench 16 (inc 2 appearances), (total availability 19 games) 

Penksa starts 10, 0 subs appearances.

But we all can make anything out of statistics that you want Brennan was available for only 3 less games than Cuthbert, there were also a few games where Cuthbert was in goal and we had both Lennox and Brennan available on the bench. 

Lennox was available for selection only 12 times less than Cuthbert despite the fact that he missed half the season from mid Jan onwards due to receiving two fractures as a result of a collision with an over exuberant Dundee Utd youngster, personally I can't see that this is a sign of being injury prone but out of interest if those injuries had happened in a car crash would you have said the same thing? 

Callachan broke his arm last season falling over at a picnic and was our for 6 weeks, he also missed the last 2 months this season (since Falkirk away) again with a fracture, he must be injury prone too.

Credit Brennan and Lennox with two games a piece in the development league.

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

I'll be amazed if we sign any more than 2 after Thomson never mind 5 or 6 we just won't have the budget to run a big squad of experienced players.

Jason Thomson, a GK (I'm convinced it'll be Lennox the more I think about it) and a left back. I honestly think that'll be about it unless we can sell a central midfielder and bring in another wide man.

Surely we need a right midfielder, we have no one there at all, I'd be happy if we get Lennox, Thomson, a left back and a right winger. 

If I'm being greedy another wide player for cover, a full back and centre midfielder would be great but that's probably beyond what we can manage, good chance for the young lads to get some game time though. 

Edit: If we bring in those 4 players that's a squad of 16, then all youngsters after that, surely that's a minimum you go on. 

Edited by Dazzle

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I'll be amazed if we sign any more than 2 after Thomson never mind 5 or 6 we just won't have the budget to run a big squad of experienced players.

Jason Thomson, a GK (I'm convinced it'll be Lennox the more I think about it) and a left back. I honestly think that'll be about it unless we can sell a central midfielder and bring in another wide man.

My maths is probably off but does that not mean us running with a squad of 13 outfield players and then hoping the kids fill out into formidable league 1 players by august?

Murray tried the whole strong first team/no depth approach in 13/14 and it nearly landed us here, then.

I'm not saying all our signings have to be late 20 something veteran campaigners, but there has to be a standard between Kyle Benedictus and whatever bandy legged waifs are holding the backline together in the U20 league. They dont have to be guaranteed starters but they at least have to be able of holding a place in the team if needed.

What happens to competition if Bobby Barr only has to impress next to Thorsen, a lad with literally no first team football to his name? Are we really gonna try and make it through the season with only Robertson, Callachan and Matthews? What happens when the first is injured and the latter suspended? 

In 13/14 Murray's plan B was literally whichever of the the 3 strikers didnt start and hope that Cardle and Anderson somehow improved their final ball.

I don't want us breaking the bank but we definitely need some form of squad depth.

Edited by renton

Two fullbacks, a keeper and a couple of wingers are needed minimum. Hopefully some of the u20 squad from last season will be good enough to fill those positions. We definitely need more height and physicality in the team than we currently have in the squad. Apart from The centre halfs and callachan the rest are too short to be marking at set plays and we won't be much of a threat from our own cross balls. Don't fancy our chances unless this changes due to the style of play you expect to come up against in this league. 

My maths is probably off but does that not mean us running with a squad of 13 outfield players and then hoping the kids fill out into formidable league 1 players by august?
Murray tried the whole strong first team/no depth approach in 13/14 and it nearly landed us here, then.
I'm not saying all our signings have to be late 20 something veteran campaigners, but there has to be a standard between Kyle Benedictus and whatever bandy legged waifs are holding the backline together in the U20 league. They dont have to be guaranteed starters but they at least have to be able of holding a place in the team if needed.
What happens to competition if Bobby Barr only has to impress next to Thorsen, a lad with literally no first team football to his name? Are we really gonna try and make it through the season with only Robertson, Callachan and Matthews? What happens when the first is injured and the latter suspended? 
In 13/14 Murray's plan B was literally whichever of the the 3 strikers didnt start and hope that Cardle and Anderson somehow improved their final ball.
I don't want us breaking the bank but we definitely need some form of squad depth.

Thomson, Back-up Keeper, Left back and a right winger to be permanent signings then we'll more than likely be bringing in 2 or 3 loan players as well to provide the cover as it's already been said a few times in interviews( with Young and Smith) that we'll definately be making the most of the loan market this year..

19 minutes ago, renton said:

My maths is probably off but does that not mean us running with a squad of 13 outfield players and then hoping the kids fill out into formidable league 1 players by august?......

.............I don't want us breaking the bank but we definitely need some form of squad depth.

I don't necessarily agree with it but I think it'll be dictated by funds and that alone.

Cuthbert, Lennox (or similar), Brian

Thomson, Newman@LB, Valentine (Cover can come from Matthews, Davo Murray or even Bobby Barr at a push)

Bene, Murray, Davo, McKay, McDonald 

Callachan, Matthews, Robertson, Berry  (also cover from Davo if needed)

Barr, Vaughan, Stevenson  

Buchanan, Spence, Court, 

Nothing wrong with your arithmetic Rents I make that 13 outfield players too with the numbers augmented with Dev squad players like Berry, Stevenson, Valetine, McDonald and McKay. It's a threadbare existence and one that won't stand up to extreme scrutiny especially if we loose two guys from any one position.

Another left sided player who can play as a wingback and an attacking midfielder would be a real boon but will we have the money to do it?  I'm unsure about loan signings though as the problem with them is you have to play them.....even if sometimes they aren't as good as what you aleady have.

Edited by Scottydog

So, what do we still think we need? Up top seems the most well served with Buchanan, Spence, Vaughan and Court available, as well as Osei from the U-20s if he signs back on.
Central midfield you have Robertson, Callachan and Matthews, assuming we don't lose either of the latter two. I'd really hate to see Davo get another run out in central mid this year, I suspect he'd feel the same. So unless there is someone in the development team looking ready to step up, I still think we need another body in there.
Wide player wise, we've only really got Barr and maybe Thornsen if he re-signs. Another body required there.
Central defence is Benedictus, Murray and Davidson. Always feel like you should have 4 decent centre backs to choose from.
Backup goalie and left back are obvious musts.
So looking at, what? 5-6 signings still needed?
Personally, can we get somebody who strike a dead ball? Sick of conceding direct free kicks and not beating the first man at corners. It'd be nice to give other teams something to worry about from us in that department for a change. I don't care if he's a useless fat b*****d of a passenger who can't run the length of himself at this point.

On the quote of wide players I got slated about Coulstrain coming back. I thought he would do well in league 1

On the quote of wide players I got slated about Coulstrain coming back. I thought he would do well in league 1

Sounds like a fair shout to me. A player from last season coming back? hope it's him and not Johnson, J Thompson or Roberts. Who else does it leave, McHattie, C Barr, Mcmanus, Loan players, Hardie, Handling.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is Coustraine

32 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

What fool said that?

I was sorry to see him go, it was another (continued) display of managerial incompetence that allowed this potential to slip from us.

FWIW he is exactly the player we need at present a talented midfielder/wide man who can play at LB if required.

We didn't see enough of Coustrain to know either way.
Guys who give up and go home, regardless of circumstances, aren't really who we need right now though. 

To be fair to him we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. He played a blinder and scored a cracker at starts park and the following week just disappeared of the scene.

Personally I can only go on what I saw of Joel on the park, he looked a class above in any of the dev' games I saw and scored in the only start I saw him play for the 1st XI and looked like trouble for most defences when he came on.  I'd have kept him at all costs.