The New Raith Rovers Thread

I scored a round 70, A right few I missed that I'm kicking myself for but some that I've done well to forget! Got everybody for the last 4 seasons except 1 or two.

Good quiz!

3 hours ago, JockysJetpack said:

Hello Rovers fans, 

I have a quiz for you https://www.sporcle.com/games/purplefrogg6/raith-rovers-top-5-scorers-since-9899

Name the top 5 scorers in each season since 98/99. Good luck, hope it doesn't bring back too many painful memories!

Enjoyed that. Missed some obvious answers and don't know how to spell the name of our 2011/12 Argentinian striker. Talking of Argentinian strikers I was surprised 'Prest' wasn't a correct answer. 

6 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Hope so mate, all banter aside our real Derby is the Pars, hopefully you'll be in a promotion push. And hopefully we screw the nut and get out of this league. It won't be easy that's for sure. The players signed for next season that helped us to relegation better up their game.

Would be more confident about that if we actually signed anyone...

17 hours ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

We have the best artificial pitch in Scotland atm and it's also better than most grass pitches in the country aswell.

But how wide is it going to be next season?

10 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

But you have.

You've signed big Jock and he made the play-offs with us, hopefully he'll be just as good a servant to the Pars.

14 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Jean Yves M'voto? If that is your managers idea of strengthening the squad to push for promotion then yous would be better sticking with last years squad. With a reasonable first quarter last season you would have made the top four no problem. 

Jean Yves M'voto? If that is your managers idea of strengthening the squad to push for promotion then yous would be better sticking with last years squad. With a reasonable first quarter last season you would have made the top four no problem. 

What the guy the fans voted poty? I was personally gutted he signed for our rivals

What the guy the fans voted poty? I was personally gutted he signed for our rivals

I think he masked a lot of his failings by being strong and able to hear anything that came his way. Ultimately he was one of the most frequent players to feature in the defence of a team that was relegated. No real returns from him in the oppositions box and with the ball at feet he was a nightmare.

He won the hearts of the fans because he just got on with it and kept his head down as well as playing the majority of the season. I was very surprised when he signed for them. I'd have thought he'd disappear down to England or back into Europe and be forgotten about.

He is a centre back who's entire game is based around being strong in the air and keeping it simple.

We lost 3 goals against St Mirren and Brechin at such a crucial time.... due to him fucking up in the air and not keeping it simple.

Being our player of the season last season really is no endorsement.

Hopefully we'll get some signing news this week. We need a left back and a right midfield player. We will also need a right back if Thompson is away.

Also I imagine we'll have another friendly match to be announced at some point.

He is a centre back who's entire game is based around being strong in the air and keeping it simple.

We lost 3 goals against St Mirren and Brechin at such a crucial time.... due to him fucking up in the air and not keeping it simple.

Being our player of the season last season really is no endorsement.

He had a mare at Dumbarton away, cost us a goal in the 3-2 defeat at Easter Road, gave the ball away at home for the second Pars goals and was non existent for their first. He had a good work rate but you were always guaranteed at least one slip up and it was always a lottery on how costly it was.

I noticed a few times during the final 5-7 games we played. Mango an M'Voto would quite often be disagreeing over really bad defensive situations or after we'd conceded a goal. Didn't know at the time if Barr was just one of those moaning types but in hindsight, I'd say it was quite clear that M'Voto was a complete bomb scare for us.

I think the next signings will probably be Thomson, a keeper and a left back, and going on the rumblings about the vastly reduced budget then that could be just about it unless we can move somebody on for cash. If there was to be movement out the the squad (say a promising young central midfielder) then that would free up cash to bring in another wide midfielder and maybe even fullback cover. 

Going by the concerned bleatings of a few Alloa fans it seems they are worried that not being content with taking Spencey we will be back to rob them of their young LB Calum Waters. He's 21 ex-Celtic youth and was on loan at the Rec prior to Celtic releasing him, Jack Ross gave him a 12m contract (now expired) and there were even earlier rumblings that he may be joining Mr Ross again in Paisley.

Looks like with the signings of Spence and Buchanan that Baz Smith is very much going for quality over quantity and we will be looking at a bare bones squad of around 16-18 bolstered with kids like Berry, Stevenson, McKay and Brian.

I think the next signings will probably be Thomson, a keeper and a left back, and going on the rumblings about the vastly reduced budget then that could be just about it unless we can move somebody on for cash. If there was to be movement out the the squad (say a promising young central midfielder) then that would free up cash to bring in another wide midfielder and maybe even fullback cover. 

Going by the concerned bleatings of a few Alloa fans it seems they are worried that not being content with taking Spencey we will be back to rob them of their young LB Calum Waters. He's 21 ex-Celtic youth and was on loan at the Rec prior to Celtic releasing him, Jack Ross gave him a 12m contract (now expired) and there were even earlier rumblings that he may be joining Mr Ross again in Paisley.

Looks like with the signings of Spence and Buchanan that Baz Smith is very much going for quality over quantity and we will be looking at a bare bones squad of around 16-18 bolstered with kids like Berry, Stevenson, McKay and Brian.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone will be putting cash into the club to help fund a players wage this season. I'd be concerned about squad depth this year. That's my only worry, if we get plagued by injury then we could find ourselves struggling at some point. Not to mention the extra cost implications of treating an injured player as well.

7 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Hopefully wee James Berry gets near the first team this season. I know the lad and hope he goes on to have a decent career although I do worry that he's not quite big/strong enough to cope in League One (as old fashioned as that may sound). Sounds like you have a decent first XI if you can keep them all fit. Good luck for the coming season. 

11 hours ago, Enigma said:

We will also need a right back if Thompson is away.

Barry Smith said in an interview with FFP that "Jason Thompson will be signing in the next couple of weeks when he's back from holiday". (There was a video on the "Raith Rovers - Fife Free Press" Facebook page).