The New Raith Rovers Thread

I sincerely hope that we're looking for about a dozen players, with the vast majority of last year's squad being told to gtf. You only need to think back to the Brechin games to see how rank rotten some of our players are. 

2 minutes ago, Sheevedaw said:

which of the out of contracted players would we keep?

I'd have no qualms about keeping the likes of C Barr, Thomson and McHattie. Bear in mind it's League 1 we're playing in and I'd like to think the vast majority of the contracted players, along with the players I've mentioned, would be fine at that level. Yes I know the vast majority were pish against Brechin, who were a League 1 club at the time, but you have to factor in the Hughes effect as well. New era now where hopefully Smith can get the best out of them. I've not watched the Chairman's video so can only go by the comments above but yes a bit of clarity on what he's meaning by 4 players definitely staying. 

That begs the question, which of the out of contracted players would we keep?

I'd definitely keep Craig Barr, him & Bene at Centre half with Cuthbert in goals [emoji108]????
Scott Robertson, would be good for 1 of the player/coaching roles that's being mentioned.

That's pretty much it for me. The rest weren't/aren't good enough. I liked Chris Johnston but as mentioned very lightweight, and League 1 is much more physical than the Championship, so no use.

I'm going on the basis that having the bulk of the squad remain would at least give us, hopefully anyway, a group of players that know each other very well having played and trained together for the last 2 seasons (for some of them anyway). People talk about not wanting to constantly have a revolving door of managers each season so why not use that analogy to players as well. I get there's no loyalty in football these days but they might have that desire to want to right all the nonsense that happened last season and have a desire to see us do well. They all clearly didn't take to Hughes and Locke didn't have a clue what he was doing but under Smith they might flourish. All hypothetical but I think, for going into League 1, Smith would be over the moon at seeing us retain and good number of last years squad. Prior to the shit hitting the fan a lot of these players were showing they were more than capable and we seen they were decent under McKinnon. Just got to get that standard back and we'll be fine.

58 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I'm going on the basis that having the bulk of the squad remain would at least give us, hopefully anyway, a group of players that know each other very well having played and trained together for the last 2 seasons (for some of them anyway). People talk about not wanting to constantly have a revolving door of managers each season so why not use that analogy to players as well. I get there's no loyalty in football these days but they might have that desire to want to right all the nonsense that happened last season and have a desire to see us do well. They all clearly didn't take to Hughes and Locke didn't have a clue what he was doing but under Smith they might flourish. All hypothetical but I think, for going into League 1, Smith would be over the moon at seeing us retain and good number of last years squad. Prior to the shit hitting the fan a lot of these players were showing they were more than capable and we seen they were decent under McKinnon. Just got to get that standard back and we'll be fine.

This has to be just about every Raith fans hope, it's certainly mine.

I heard a wee rumour last night that Bobby Barr has definitely agreed to stay too.

I'd hope we keep all the ones that are contracted to stay (Cuthbert, Bene, B Barr, Callachan, Matthews, Stewart, Vaughan,

Add to that the resigning of Craig Barr, Jonny Court and Scott Robertson. I wouldn't be against keeping Davo for his versatility (only) and the jury is out on Thomson and McHattie though I too think they'd do well in Div 1. I'd like to see Lennox signed as back up to the cat.

Bring in another striker (Spence?), a midfielder/winger or two and spare defender preferably one with a howitzer of a long throw.

Looking forward to the new season and working with Smith.  They have spoken and things are positive. 

That's a relief Bambino, he was sorely missed by the faithful. Hope he gives us a good season. He's a quality player and will get to the top some day.

We have talented players at the club, certainly for League 1 level.  My hope is that last season was down to astonishing mismanagement at a number of levels, and that even basic and competent management will be enough to make us as competitive as possible.

12 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

This has to be just about every Raith fans hope, it's certainly mine.

I heard a wee rumour last night that Bobby Barr has definitely agreed to stay too.

I'd hope we keep all the ones that are contracted to stay (Cuthbert, Bene, B Barr, Callachan, Matthews, Stewart, Vaughan,

Add to that the resigning of Craig Barr, Jonny Court and Scott Robertson. I wouldn't be against keeping Davo for his versatility (only) and the jury is out on Thomson and McHattie though I too think they'd do well in Div 1. I'd like to see Lennox signed as back up to the cat.

Bring in another striker (Spence?), a midfielder/winger or two and spare defender preferably one with a howitzer of a long throw.

For me, Jury would be out on Thomson but I'd definitely want rid of McHattie, his positioning is absolutely woeful, even at the best of times.

34 minutes ago, renton said:

For me, Jury would be out on Thomson but I'd definitely want rid of McHattie, his positioning is absolutely woeful, even at the best of times.

Thomson should be on a shaky peg too, McKinnon season he was decent but last year he was utterly outclassed by Davo's handful of games out there while he was out injured, anybody who can be outclassed by a near finished out of position Davidson is probably not good enough.

As for McHattie I can't help thinking he might be decent down here but then I remember all the times he was utter mince last year.

Think it's time Thomson left. He has always been suspect defensively but made up for it with his pace and stamina and that allowed him to offer a great attacking outlet. He used to be hitting the byline every match but can probably count on one hand the amount of times he managed it latterly under McKinnon and all of last season. He'll still only be 29 but it just looks like he's lost the pace and stamina and that makes him an extremely average right back at best. Would be a poor way to end his spell with us but unless he's prepared to be back up I think it's time to go.

Thomson may be fine again once he has time to get himself right in pre-season. He didn't look right when he came back from injury. He was taking two touches to control a ball, he had no pace and he never went past the halfway line.

It might seem harsh because he's been a great servant to the club and as folk have rightly said he was never right since he came back from injury and was perhaps rushed back too quick, but I just think it's similar to when we had Craig Wilson and that its went stale and it's time for a freshen up in the right back role.

I also think his time is up. He has been a great servant to the club and that should not be forgotten. He will leave with pretty much every fans best wishes, I'd imagine. He's only 29 so he won't be happy being back-up at that age. He will want to start most weeks. Surely we won't have him as first choice going into the new season. I certainly wouldn't have him as captain next season. In previous seasons when we were starting to tire late on in games, he used to be the man contantly firing forward and urging everyone to push a bit more. We didn't even get that this season from him. He's not the best defensively and proved last season how much of a passenger he can be if his head isn't in it attacking-wise either.

People also saying we should sign the likes of McHattie etc back up again must have short term memory loss.

I don't think i'd be able to get behind a team filled with the same jobbers that we had last season.

Locke/Drysdale/Yogi do deserve a lot of the stick for last season obviously. The players should also take a massive chunk of the blame as well though.

Watching McHattie lose his man 8-10 times a game really does begin to get frustrating. Why would we want to reward him with a full-time contract for next season?

Johnstone is another one that people seem to have forgotten how much of a passenger he was last season. I think I recall one game in which he looked half-decent. The rest, he was anonymous. How do we know he won't be the same next year? We can't afford for him to be.

Both of these players will be playing part-time next year probably in this league. So let's weaken our opposition and let them sign these players.