The New Raith Rovers Thread

If it is Barry Smith, let's get right behind him. When Dundee lost those points in the league, he got them playing the right way. If he is a sore loser then he'll make pains to win. It'll be a sweet relief

If it is Barry Smith, let's get right behind him. When Dundee lost those points in the league, he got them playing the right way. If he is a sore loser then he'll make pains to win. It'll be a sweet relief

To be fair any manager would have thrived with the players in that scenario. Us against the world sort of thing.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Probably as good as we are going to get in all honesty.  Its not so much a shallow pool we are fishing in, as a fucking puddle.

Could be worse.  Came across as an odious toad at Dundee but appears to have done a solid job at East Fife.  Getting them to within touching distance of playoffs is a good job.

Barry Smith always came across as a really good guy when he was at Alloa and I've never heard (well until you called him an odious toad at least) of anybody saying otherwise.

Regarding getting EF to the fringes of the play-offs, it should be remembered that but for the gap between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd, the rest of the league was extremely tight. He was 4 points from the promotion play-offs at the end, but also 6 from the relegation ones. 

His spell at Alloa is quite hard to define. He inherited a great Alloa side which had been 4th in the Championship at Christmas. It was inevitable that we would fall back a bit, but I thought he still did a pretty poor job for the remainder of that season as we only just avoided the relegation play-offs (thanks, Bob McHugh). He was able to maintain the majority of the squad and - although his signings were a bit hit and miss - he brought in two guys who did very well in Benedictus and Buchanan. That Alloa team managed some famous results, against Rangers in particular, and continued to play the fine football they had under Hartley. The players all seemed to be playing for Smith. The problem was that the results weren't good enough and the team rarely got the points their performances in general merited. By the time he resigned I think we had actually dropped below an absolutely chronic Cowdenbeath side. Indeed, had Smith remained in charge I suspect we'd probably have gone down. His win ratio as Alloa boss must be pretty terrible, much worse than it should have been at a time when we had a superb team by our own standards. Like I said, hard to define his time at Alloa. 

A little surprised if Raith do appoint Barry, but they probably could do (and have done) worse. I'd wish him well.

Edited by Waspie

We've not got a manager yet... give it time :lol:

We're meant to be releasing a home and an away kit this summer so I'm guessing it runs out now.

I'm hoping we're still with Puma. They're shirts have always been quality

The more I think on it, the more I'd be happy with Smith given that we can't exactly be fussy. It'd be a lot better than Campbell or Bollan. He's not achieved a massive amount, but he's got a mix of experience at this level and below. Alloa and East Fife won't have had massive budgets, but I'd hope we'd give him the resources to go for promotion at the first attempt. While he did well at Dundee in his first season, that was more down to them having a ridiculous team with a siege mentality.

I'll happily get behind him and kick up minimal fuss with the appointment tbh but it's critical the board give him full backing for transfers. I know Poet said a page or two ago about my post before, but the likes of Matthews, Callachan, Benedictus, Stewart and Cuthbert got us to the promotion playoffs before. I'd hope we can make a few solid signings to add to it, but a lot of the players we already have will fit the bill. 

As for the kits, I'm pretty certain our Puma deal has been about to expire for the last 6 season. Wouldn't mind a wee change in all honesty. Macron do some really good kits.