The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

For the sake of balance, you* would be paying equivalent of a full time minimum wage and would be asking a player to forego the wage from a full time minimum wage job. The fact that full time footballers only notionally work full time isn't really relevant to the question of attracting players to the club. The point the chap was making, I presume, is that it must be extremely difficult to attract a competent player for full time wages of £300 a quid. 

* not you personally.

There are plenty of them who fill the other 20 hours with part time work elsewhere, particularly those whose families have a business or who sell diet supplements or have sideline work as fitness instructors etc. And there are plenty who would rather live the life of a professional footballer for as long as they can even if their basic wage is low (and let's not forget there is always the opportunity for bonuses to up that number in a way that most minimum wage workers can't). The definition of "competence" is of course subjective. I doubt there will be many full time regular first team starters in Scotland earning less than £300 pw to be fair. There will be plenty of younger bench fillers though who do.

I take your point though, and if that was his point then fair enough. Fact remains though, £300 pw is way above minimum wage for a footballer in what amounts to a part time hours job.

12 hours ago, SuperHans said:

We couldn't beat a part-time Brechin team over 2 games. Our team was at a complete low point, players and manager weren't getting on, crowd on their back etc. But if we had been playing teams like Brechin over the course of the season then I'd have fancied our chances even though our team was in a terrible state.

The last 2 appointments haven't been great. The first one was definitely a bad move but the Hughes appointment was only a bad appointment I hindsight. We could go back through this thread and find plenty of people happy with Hughes getting the job. The BOD are the same people that brought in McKinnon.

Unfortunately, there's people wanting a young manager so we can start this 5 year plan. But by doing that, we run the risk of hiring someone with little or no experience of full time football. Is this a risky move? Wouldn't this be seen as a gamble from the board?

So we have the option of a more experienced manager, someone who's won leagues and worked with all kinds of players throughout Scottish Football and been in the game for a long time. We can't have him, he's a dinosaur! He's no focus on the youth and he's not going to be part of this 5 year plan we all want.

Either way, the only thing we can do is wait, inevitably moan about the appointment and hold our breath until the first few games of the season and see if the BOD have made the right decision.

Spot on. Very few people thought the Yogi move was a bad one. Unfortunately not all manager appointments work out. You see that all across fitba. We just need to make sure we get this one correct, otherwise it could result in 3-4 years in League 1.

14 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

I wasn't speaking "baws" as you call it but clearly your upset about something. Whatever you think he was interviewed but won't be coming. Don't know how many times and different ways I have to say it.

What a shock to see more attention seeking lies from you.

You can say it as often as you want and as many times as you want; it's still nonsense you've made up.

If you haven't made it* up then once again you're betraying someone's confidence for attention on a football forum.

*You have

Edited by DA Baracus

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There are plenty of them who fill the other 20 hours with part time work elsewhere, particularly those whose families have a business or who sell diet supplements or have sideline work as fitness instructors etc. And there are plenty who would rather live the life of a professional footballer for as long as they can even if their basic wage is low (and let's not forget there is always the opportunity for bonuses to up that number in a way that most minimum wage workers can't). The definition of "competence" is of course subjective. I doubt there will be many full time regular first team starters in Scotland earning less than £300 pw to be fair. There will be plenty of younger bench fillers though who do.

I take your point though, and if that was his point then fair enough. Fact remains though, £300 pw is way above minimum wage for a footballer in what amounts to a part time hours job.

Aye, all fair.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You can say it as often as you want and as many times as you want; it's still nonsense you've made up.

If you haven't made it* up then once again you're betraying someone's confidence for attention on a football forum.

*You have

You're getting awfy worked up about this.

For the sake of balance, you* would be paying equivalent of a full time minimum wage and would be asking a player to forego the wage from a full time minimum wage job. The fact that full time footballers only notionally work full time isn't really relevant to the question of attracting players to the club. The point the chap was making, I presume, is that it must be extremely difficult to attract a competent player for full time wages of £300 a quid. 

* not you personally.

Correct

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Aye you could.

FYI, The Avatar is now 4 years old and I see no reason to change it. It's far from new as tbh I've laughed at the P**s since the time they were 2nd bottom of the old 2nd division (a decade or two more before the days avatars and PC's) I agree it's not quite as pertinent now as it was 4 years ago but no doubt like fashion it will someday be apt' again. Incidentally in my life time I've seen my club languish near the bottom of the old 2nd div too....just never that lowly

The reason for the edit was I originally didn't feel the need to quote you but somebody jumped in between us and I realised it didn't look right. I knew you'd only be confused and so added your name to the post just to let you know your thoughts hadn't been over looked.

Lastly you are right (as you'll very well aware) relegation isn't nice and does hurt but I appreciate all of your repeated efforts and advice when coming on here and having a wee dig us at any given opportunity, and surprise, surprise here you are again, in the words on Al Murray "you're obsessed".  You may think that given my avatar that last comment is a tad hypocritical but when considered that yet again were are having this banter on the Rovers thread and not Walking down the Halbeath Rd thread it should be clear that the avatar isn't actually there for your benefit (But still you feel the need to bite).

Hopefully you will see this avatar return to rile you back in this section for season 2018-19 though knowing some on here I've no doubt they'll be unable to contain themselves and will spot it while trolling the Rovers Div 1 thread next season.

TTFN.

What a state to get yourself in. 

41 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Spot on. Very few people thought the Yogi move was a bad one. Unfortunately not all manager appointments work out. You see that all across fitba. We just need to make sure we get this one correct, otherwise it could result in 3-4 years in League 1.

In any given season I normally wouldn't want Yogi within a mile of the Rovers as I have always been of the opinion he was nothing but a loud thick twat. Last season was the exception though, at the start of the season he was at ICT and wasn't an option but by the time we sacked GL I was desperate for anyone that vaguely resembled a proper football manager and like most if not all others I welcomed him with open arms.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

*You have

I've never seen someone get so upset over posts on another teams forum that has absolutely no impact whatsoever on yourself and your team. 

I suppose it's to be expect from a guy (not sure about that actually) who only seems to post responses about Rovers or the completely realistic WWF :lol:

whilst I appreciate the club are getting on with it quietly, and hopefully doing so in a diligent manner, I had hoped that an appointment would be made this week.
Players are out of contract at both our club and others, and the longer we have no manager, then we lose the opportunity to bring in some of these players to build the squad for 2017. Time is now crucial.

3 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

I've never seen someone get so upset over posts on another teams forum that has absolutely no impact whatsoever on yourself and your team. 

I suppose it's to be expect from a guy (not sure about that actually) who only seems to post responses about Rovers or the completely realistic WWF :lol:

Are you suggesting that because I'm calling you out on your bullshit that I'm a woman?

It's still real to me dammit....*

*Also it's WWE now.

I suppose it's to be expect from a guy (not sure about that actually) who only seems to post responses about Rovers or the completely realistic WWF [emoji38]

And you've followed him on the forum to find that out? How embarrassing.

For all the 'doom and gloomers' out there. I found this article last night and brought back a lot of bad memories -

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12149804.Raith_and_a_riches_to_rags_story_Euro_joy_to_cash_crisis_in_five_years/

From the days of Kelly coming in and the collection buckets rattling around Starks to now, its safe to say that despite relegation and last seasons mess up, we are in a much better place.

See Gary Bolan being mentioned.  Surely a backwards step? 

I don't think he's much worse or better than most of those mentioned. He seems to have his pros and cons.