The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

So DC's weekend reads Raith interview, Cowden game, social function (unspecified) and out in Maga. No bad for a man of his age

Well, if nothing else, charting Dick Campbell's migratory patterns at least passed one football free weekend.

13 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Fair guess that the Dumbarton and Raith jobs will be filled by Stevie Aitken and Darren Young but we don't know which one goes where?

From what I've heard said about Young, I'd be shocked if he ended up with us.

If you'd like to decide whether or not you'd like Aitken by today then that'd be great. We're sort of stuck with no players or coaching staff here.
Cheers

He would be nuts to join us. Yes it's full time but travel costs and time a decent part time wage with another income IMO is far better option

I can feel the love for raith on this thread right now, and fair play to you guys for showing it. But wait until they start pumping their way to the 1st div title, that's when the loving feeling will stop.  

They are a far better team than their relegation suggests. 

If Campbell does get the raith managers job and that's a big if as I can't see it happening, he would win you guys that league no bother nae sure what all the fuss is about! Proven track record in the lower league's.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

If Campbell does get the raith managers job and that's a big if as I can't see it happening, he would win you guys that league no bother nae sure what all the fuss is about! Proven track record in the lower league's.

The issue is that we're appointing someone not just for next season but for the long term. When was the last time Campbell managed at Championship level, or even got promoted?

He's won league 2 on the final day with Arbroath and ran an underperforming Morton side close. It'd be a brutal appointment and isn't one for the long term. 

Got to feel for Dumbarton fans. It's the second season in a row Aitken has apparently been waiting to pen a new deal while there's speculation. 

2 hours ago, JoseMarooniho said:

So DC's weekend reads Raith interview, Cowden game, social function (unspecified) and out in Maga. No bad for a man of his age

No,he didn,t attend function,he dropped of an ex player at the function.The function was in Lochore

Edited by Rovers_Lad

44 minutes ago, rw89 said:

When was the last time Campbell managed at Championship level, or even got promoted?

McKinnon hadn't managed at Championship level nor had any promotions as manager under his belt before coming to us. Just saying.

25 minutes ago, rw89 said:

The issue is that we're appointing someone not just for next season but for the long term. When was the last time Campbell managed at Championship level, or even got promoted?

Last managed in the second tier in 2006/07 with Partick. He's never actually completed a full season in charge at this level.

He was sacked by Dunfermline in October 1999 after taking over in January and relegating them from the SPL
He won the Second Division with Brechin in 04/05 but left to take over Partick at the same level
He took Partick up through the playoffs in 05/06 after finishing fourth but was then sacked in March while sixth in the league
He was sacked by Ross County while top of the Second Division in October 2007 after only 12 games in charge
Took Forfar to the promotion playoffs four times but only reached the final once (he got them promoted from the Third Division in 09/10 though)

He could arguably be seen as a good choice for getting you promoted, but for the long term aim of re-establishing yourselves in the Championship it's obviously a bad choice.

On 15/05/2017 at 21:29, liam_barnett said:
On 15/05/2017 at 21:23, Adam101 said:

don't envy the job of the interviewer but thought he did well, on the subject on smaller away supports can you not just open small railway stand which is used as overflow as surely this is cheaper to run than the big away stand. Will be interesting so see the second interview once some decisions have been made, also are Raith looking at a female manager or was he being P.C.

For part of the season we were housing smaller away supports in the corner of the Main Stand

If the away fans were to be put in the Main Stand next season (or not have segregation) what would the chances be of making the away end (Key-Tech Stand) of the Railway Stand a home stand (or un-segragated), and have the North Stand closed most of the time? I'd far prefer to sit there, closer to the half way line, than in the South Stand or Main Stand.

If the away fans were to be put in the Main Stand next season (or not have segregation) what would the chances be of making the away end (Key-Tech Stand) of the Railway Stand a home stand (or un-segragated), and have the North Stand closed most of the time? I'd far prefer to sit there, closer to the half way line, than in the South Stand or Main Stand.

Won't happen. Why would we be closing the North stand to save money to then open another stand for home support when we can't even fill half the south stand?

Somebody saying somebody saying no appointment this week

Bollan then?

There will be an appointment by the end of the week. Interviews were apparently all done Thursday-Saturday last week so unless the board didn't like any of them then all they need to decide on now is the contract terms..

As a relatively similar sized club to Thistle, I can comfortably say Dick Campbell would be a pretty disastrous appointment for Raith. He disbanded any semblance of a youth academy that we had which has taken nigh on 10 years to rebuild and was the width of Dougie Cameron's arse away from driving us into probable oblivion after assembling a pretty pathetic squad of players who stumbled their way to a fourth place finish, barely ahead of a better Stirling Albion side who weren't far behind.

Similar to what's happening now in this thread, I recall some fans trying to justify his appointment at the time as 'just what we needed' and I'm almost certain a member of the board attempted to compare him to Lambie. He had plenty of opportunity to avoid relegation from the First Division but we slipped into the mire and in a must-win game at Hamilton, unforgivably played our most potent attacking threat Juan Ramon Escalas - who had fallen by the wayside somewhat, I give you - at left mid.

The next season, he assembled possibly the worst collection of players I've seen play for Thistle who played some of the most dire football I've ever had to endure. A number of folk who I go to games with, myself included, were very close to chucking it in. On the plus side, he did sign Mark Roberts without whom, I dread to think where we might be - we were the epitome of a one-man team that season.

We were absolutely on the slide back to the Second Division the following season when he got his jotters; his despicable c*nt of an assistant Jimmy Bone and Terry Butcher barely steadied the ship, winning only one game and we stayed up thanks to the dismal form of Airdrie. I think McCall had to turnover about 20 players the next season which should demonstrate the calibre of player Campbell brought to the club.

I've met Campbell at after-dinner speaker nights and he's a cracking fella - but he had absolutely no place managing Thistle, nor does he at Raith. No disrespect to the Forfar's and Arbroath's of this world but that's his level - and all credit to him, you'll struggle to find a more successful manager at that level.

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He went and joined up with the
straight after the Cowden game.

Yesterday he joined up with them

27 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

There will be an appointment by the end of the week. Interviews were apparently all done Thursday-Saturday last week so unless the board didn't like any of them then all they need to decide on now is the contract terms..

Correct,DC only away for 3/4 days