The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Was weird on off the ball last week. He said the contract was sorted just needed to be signed... As though a pen was an outlandish piece of equipment that took weeks to calibrate. I'd guess he's looking for better, but I don't class us as a better option.

He said something similar here: http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/15283299.Dumbarton_manager_Stevie_Aitken_gives_contract_talks_and_backroom_staff_update/

"Next ten days to couple of weeks" - I get giving himself time to read it over, discuss it with Durrant and his family and everything, but saying he'd sign it but not for a while seemed pointless to me.

By all accounts our budget has been cut. Again. And so combining that with the fact we've lost Stirling and Thomson, along with some quality loanees and, assuming what I've heard is accurate, at least one other big player I can see why he wouldn't be keen on sticking around.

Rovers might be in a bad way, but they've got a decent spine of a team signed up and realistically should be looking to win League 1 as the biggest team in it. I can totally see the appeal in it if I was him. In fact I reckon if I was in his situation and I was offered the Raith job I'd quite probably take it.

I just wish we could sort this out quicker. Was the same last summer where his future was uncertain when he went for your job.

I wouldn't take any of them.

I'm surprised that you say you wouldn't take Aitken. He's done very well with us and his stock must be pretty high I'd say. No dig at all, but who do you expect to be able to attract currently that's a better option?

Would explain why he's still not signed a deal with us, despite the season finishing ages ago now.
This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. I was desperate for us not to be left in limbo, with no players, whilst Aitken looks elsewhere. We should've given him a short deadline - like a week - and then walked away.

I think its easy to say that in hindsight, but giving a deadline could have put unnecessary pressure on us.

Do other P/T sides have a lot of players signed up? The season has effectively only finished a few weeks ago, so genuinely I don't think we need to panic.

I'd love to have players signed up now, but I don't think it's massively realistic to have many at this stage.

Was weird on off the ball last week. He said the contract was sorted just needed to be signed... As though a pen was an outlandish piece of equipment that took weeks to calibrate. I'd guess he's looking for better, but I don't class us as a better option.

I'm not surprised or grudging that he's waiting but I hope the matter is sorted sooner rather than later, whatever the outcome.

12 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Cat among the pigeons,happy to give Campbell a chance if he was appointed manager.I don't know what some supporters are expecting regards who we can attract as manager.Were in the 3 tier of Scottish football for fucks sake

This! We finished 16th in all of Scotland last term and couldn't get a better face than Gary Lockes in.

Though I'd still hope for better than Uncle Fester

8 hours ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Heard from an unreliable source it's mixu emoji134.png‍♂️emoji119.png

Could do much worse, and by that I mean Campbell, Aitken or Young.

4 hours ago, Starks Park Kdy said:

Ive been told that we have a shortlist of 3, Aitken, Young and Ellis.

Ellis and even more so go for him now to Piss off Utd as they are in the middle of play offs.

Edited by Scottydog

3 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

I can absolutely confirm that Campbell is getting interviewed but is extremely unlikely to happen due to him not going full time. Can't confirm my source but it's as good as from the horse's mouth.

Another source who knows the coaching team of Darren Young said he'd love the job but they thought that Easton either wanted it or was going to be offered it so weren't that confident. If Easton decides or has decided it's not for him then Young is very much in the frame. Clyde are apparently also after him though or they might just give it to Stark. From what I'm told Young is a good coach but wouldn't be anywhere near as effective without Stark.

I know we dont have a game today but surely our board have better things to do than interview someone for a full time position(?)who allegedly doesn,t want to go full time.What a waste of club time and managers

Of the 3 mentioned, Aitken would be my preferred choice. I'd rather we went with Craig Easton though.

Fair enough.

I can't believe that Scottydog above states that he's of the opinion that particularly Aitken or Young, would be worse choices than Mixu.

All the while stating that he understands the position you guys are in with who you can attract. Bit of mixed messages he's giving TBF.

Fair enough.

I can't believe that Scottydog above states that he's of the opinion that particularly Aitken or Young, would be worse choices than Mixu.

All the while stating that he understands the position you guys are in with who you can attract. Bit of mixed messages he's giving TBF.

I'd rather have a Barry Ferguson/Lee McCulloch management team than go anywhere near Mixu. The man's poison to any football team he can get his paws on.

The past week has been extremely depressing. If we are to get out of this league at the first attempt we do not want to appoint first time managers or old school dinos. I would like to see Craig Easton promoted but in an assistant role to develop his skills further. Get in Danny Lennon or Mixu as manager and stop pissing us off with the likes of campbell, young and Aitken. 

Edited by Mickrover

6 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Wouldn't go anywhere near Ellis after last summers debacle.

Nor would I, but if we were going down the route of young coach with no managerial experience then I'd look further afield than Easton.

19 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Wouldn't go anywhere near Ellis after last summers debacle.

Debacle? LOL, wut? Yes Rovers made him an offer to keep him but it was akin to the McGurn saga under McKinnon, the board done it before they had a new manager in place. Who is to say Locke would have necessarily wanted him or would Laurie still be in a job after the managerial changes during the last year? He was offered a job by McKinnon at United where he knew where he was wanted which has proven to be more stable for him. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have done the same.

Where does Dick Campbell fit into the 'manager for 5+ years' or 'working closely with the youth team'? Was there not one of the 'bigger' teams he managed - Partick or County, I think - that he basically got rid of the youth team. (That story might have grown arms and legs but I'm pretty sure that was the gist of what happened)

Debacle? LOL, wut? Yes Rovers made him an offer to keep him but it was akin to the McGurn saga under McKinnon, the board done it before they had a new manager in place. Who is to say Locke would have necessarily wanted him or would Laurie still be in a job after the managerial changes during the last year? He was offered a job by McKinnon at United where he knew where he was wanted which has proven to be more stable for him. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have done the same.

That's not true, Ellis was offered the head of youth job which is a stable job. That would have made him an employees of the club with all the usual benefits pensions etc as opposed to an assistant managers contract

Just now, donny86 said:

That's not true, Ellis was offered the head of youth job which is a stable job. That would have made him an employees of the club with all the usual benefits pensions etc as opposed to an assistant managers contract

Fair enough, he still isn't under any obligation to take it however so why is it a debacle?

Fair enough, he still isn't under any obligation to take it however so why is it a debacle?

The way McKinnon and Steven Thomson treated the Rovers was no secret. He then followed him there, despite knowing what had just happened. In the future, I'll take him back as manager. Not right now though.