The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 minutes ago, Paco said:

Not mad on the Easton idea myself, I like him but he's only managed an u20 side for one season in, let's be brutally honest, a weak league we'd expect to at least challenge for. I don't mean that to detract from the very good job he's doing but let's leave him where he is for now.

Also never convinced internal appointments are the way to go. Bear in mind Easton has had a lot to do with the first-team under Hughes and has likely been the 'good guy' trying to keep the players heads up after Hughes' latest rant. Hard to transition from that into their manager - Grant Murray has openly admitted since leaving Rovers he had great difficulty with it.

Having said that I'm not sure who I'd appoint. It genuinely is a lottery appointing managers, there's no reason based on track records that Ray McKinnon would be successful for us while Ian Murray wouldn't at St Mirren, for example. Would be happy with anyone relatively young but ideally with a few years experience in either management or coaching, in a similar vein to McKinnon or McGlynn.

Agree with this. John Potter's performance at the Pars gives me the fear about appointing a promising youth coach with no management experience.

Easton is doing well and I can see him being our manager one day but now is not the time for such a gamble.

Edited by R.R.FC

Can I ask why you've got yourself worked up over somebody's opinion? :lol:

I said I'd like Easton to get the job and think he will.

You then asked why I wouldn't want Young or Aitken..despite the fact I never said I didn't. :lol:

I also never said Young was talking about Easton in his interview.. :lol:

You are taking what you want to see out of my posts..

I said hearing Young talk about YOUTH being the main criteria that he's looking for in the next manager, I think Easton's the right man for the job. You clearly don't. It's all about opinions.

You see you didn't say you'd like Easton to get the job, you said you'd be "amazed if he didn't get he job". I didn't ask why you wouldn't want Young or Aitken, I asked why you'd be so "amazed" if Easton didn't get the job. Offering you a chance to back up your opinion.

You've heard our Chairman explain that the development team will remain and have a bigger part and focus in the season to come. From that you've decided that, in your opinion, It would be amazing if Easton didn't get the managers job.

I'm really chuffed for you that you have an opinion! Well done and your opinion is your own but it's really not got me worked up this morning. I'm just interested in why you'd be so shocked if our board appointed someone that was a lot more qualified than Craig Easton?

There is absolutely massive pressure on us to get promoted at first time of asking.  I don’t doubt Eastons technical skill or ability with the players, and I would be very very keen for him to be involved officially in the first team coaching set up.  But that kind of pressure is a lot for someone with no senior management experience.

It may well work, similar has worked out for other clubs.  Just seems too much of a gamble at this stage for me. 

55 minutes ago, Bambino7 said:

Darren Young is a shoe in, in my opinion ;) 

Darren young was my choice last year and probably this year but I doubt it very much it will be the boards. 

4 minutes ago, Daz80 said:

Darren young was my choice last year and probably this year but I doubt it very much it will be the boards. 

If I could find betting odds I certainly would have a punt - in fact I contacted McBookie directly to see if they are offering odds to which they said not at this moment. 

I would have been underwhelmed if he came in and we were still in the Championship but the fact that he's been one of Albion Rovers most successful managers and had a fairly decent playing career (even though he was a townie), I'd be quite happy with him now. McKinnon had done ok at Brechin when we brought him in and he'd had no experience with a full-time squad prior to us as well so there's not too much of a difference there. Young was also in the Main Stand on Saturday and has left Albion Rovers so must be in the plans for someone and we're about the only club at a realistic level that are looking for a new manager and that he'd be qualified enough to walk into.

15 minutes ago, The Pastmaster said:

Was he not interviewed previously and didn`t impress ??  Seem to have read that somewhere.

I heard something similar, but then, Locke apparently interviewed well. So how much can you trust the interviewers to be able to judge a decent coach?

2 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Aitken hasn't really worked with youth at Dumbarton. Rules him out IMO.

Slightly unfair on Aitken there I feel. We dropped our U20's as running it in conjunction with a competitive team in the Championship was proving difficult. Despite that, he signed 4 lads from the U20s to first team deals and put them out on loan (aside from 1 who was part of the first team). He also gave deals to 2 of our U17 squad and we actually fielded a 16 year old this season too. It's difficult for us to produce young players who are good enough to challenge for first team places in the Championship but if we did I don't doubt he would use them.

1 hour ago, Bambino7 said:

If I could find betting odds I certainly would have a punt - in fact I contacted McBookie directly to see if they are offering odds to which they said not at this moment. 

I did that the same this morning as well. 

Being full time in League one is tough.  Firstly the financial implications of relegation mean that you have to be prepared to and able to take a big loss due to reduced gate revenues, severely reduced SPFL prize money and much harder to sell commercial activities.  

Then even though you are full time, you end up scraping around the bottom of the full time player pool because you can't afford to pay higher league wages and even if you do decent players want to play in higher leagues.  One way for bigger clubs (i.e. traditionally full time clubs on loan to league one) to mitigate this is through good use of the loan market.  Factor in though, that there will apparently three clubs looking for such players and it gets harder still!

Finally, running a youth academy is not cheap, especially now that Project Brave is threatening funding received to develop youth for all clubs bar the top 4 or 5 in the land, so you need to get a return from youth in the shape of credible players coming through.  League gate money after VAT is likely to be sub £300k and a youth academy is going use a minimum of around 40/50% of that on its own!

Its not easy but likewise, the costs difference between a league one wages full time squad and going part time but looking for the best part time players is not huge. In other words, going part time is not necessarily going to balance the books for a club like Raith in League One.

9 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Am I missing something..... suggestions of Stevie Aitken taking the job are surely way off? Would he want to leave Dumbarton and drop down a division to come to us?

Suppose it'd depend on the package we could offer him and the budget he'd have at his disposal.

Is it not Aitken who has a really good job with Rolls Royce? If so, would that not dictate that he'd be part-time?

I wouldn't mind Easton at all but the same can be said for Young and Aitken.

If none of them are in line, can I again put forward the suggestion of some genius/eccentric foreigner looking to make his name in British football?

17 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Am I missing something..... suggestions of Stevie Aitken taking the job are surely way off? Would he want to leave Dumbarton and drop down a division to come to us?

I would suspect he would jump at the chance of Full-time coaching. 

2 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Suppose it'd depend on the package we could offer him and the budget he'd have at his disposal.

Is it not Aitken who has a really good job with Rolls Royce? If so, would that not dictate that he'd be part-time?

If none of them are in line, can I again put forward the suggestion of some genius/eccentric foreigner looking to make his name in British football?

Ian Murray?  Done similar with Dumbarton. 

2 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

He does, aye, but he's said he'll give it up to go full-time. Whether or not that means going full-time at (no offence intended) a club like Raith I'm not sure.

Ian Murray?  Done similar with Dumbarton. 

Was Murray's assistant at the Sons not Jack Ross? Might explain why he was a success there are was found out a bit at St.Mirren without Ross.

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Was Murray's assistant at the Sons not Jack Ross? Might explain why he was a success there are was found out a bit at St.Mirren without Ross.

He was indeed.  He was caretaker manager at Dumbarton too.

You may have a point though :)