The New Raith Rovers Thread

"Hard to beat".

Maybe for Hearts and Hibs but everyone else found it remarkably easy in the run up to his sacking.

We would have still went down under Locke. He might not have done much worse than Hughes has done but the end result would have been the same.

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

See Bill Leckie in the Sun today reckons if Raith had stuck with Locke who had them "hard to beat" they wouldnt have gone down..........

Must be nice when your media pals have your back. 

Let's see what Bill has to say if he relegates Cowdenbeath. 

With gambling being rife in football and directors having been caught recently you can easily guess who had cash on Raith  to be  relegated from the championship this season. Surely no other excuse for these levels of negligence.

So what's everyone's thoughts re our contracted players and where they stand? Are we looking at a situation where the option is there for them to leave due to us being relegated thus not needing to honour their contract or a case of "well you've signed a contract, we're in League 1, you'll just need to accept that". Not sure whether players would find it hard to make any commitments at this stage without knowing who they are playing under. The bulk of the contracted players will probably feel they can cut it at Championship level and I'm sure a few clubs would be keen to take them. If we do get the right manager in, remain full time and the contracted players stay I'd probably feel quite confident going into next season. 

Been asked a bunch of times but I'm too lazy to trawl back through, who is under contract for next season? Off the top off my head I've got:

Cuthbert
Benedictus
Davidson
Matthews
Callachan
B. Barr
Vaughan
Stewart

I'm sure I read Craig Barr may be too? 

That's actually a really good base to build a side around for League 1 if they all stay. Stewart and Davo are the only 2 I wouldn't be too disappointed to see go. Though in saying that someone like Stewart may thrive a level down. Who knows, he may reunite the goalscoring partnership with Vaughan that nobody told Locke about!

Anyone know what the contract status is of the development squad players and if any are likely to be ready for the step up? 

Of the players who have featured regularly this season and aren't contracted for next season there's hardly any of them I'd want back. Handling and Hardie have been decent but are never dropping down to League 1.

I'd give Court a deal, he's very raw and must improve his hold up play but he's got something about him and don't think he'd be expensive to keep. Aside from that I'd probably keep Jason Thomson in the hope he'd get back to form but would admit he's not done enough this season to deserve a contract.

That would mean we'd have the following players leaving:

Brennan
Penska
M'Voto
McHattie
Thompson
McManus
Handling
Skacel
Johnston
Hardie
Robertson
Roberts

I'm probably forgetting a few such is the size of the squad this season.

Been asked a bunch of times but I'm too lazy to trawl back through, who is under contract for next season? Off the top off my head I've got:
Cuthbert
Benedictus
Davidson
Matthews
Callachan
B. Barr
Vaughan
Stewart
I'm sure I read Craig Barr may be too? 
That's actually a really good base to build a side around for League 1 if they all stay. Stewart and Davo are the only 2 I wouldn't be too disappointed to see go. Though in saying that someone like Stewart may thrive a level down. Who knows, he may reunite the goalscoring partnership with Vaughan that nobody told Locke about!
Anyone know what the contract status is of the development squad players and if any are likely to be ready for the step up? 
Of the players who have featured regularly this season and aren't contracted for next season there's hardly any of them I'd want back. Handling and Hardie have been decent but are never dropping down to League 1.
I'd give Court a deal, he's very raw and must improve his hold up play but he's got something about him and don't think he'd be expensive to keep. Aside from that I'd probably keep Jason Thomson in the hope he'd get back to form but would admit he's not done enough this season to deserve a contract.
That would mean we'd have the following players leaving:
Brennan
Penska
M'Voto
McHattie
Thompson
McManus
Handling
Skacel
Johnston
Hardie
Robertson
Roberts
I'm probably forgetting a few such is the size of the squad this season.

Jason Thomson still has another year left on his contract.. as he signed a 2 yr contract under McKinnon..

Craig Barr signed a 1 yr deal with the option of a second year which hasn't been triggered yet as far as we know..

The wording on C Barr's profile on the official site doesn't really confirm whether he's contracted or not, just says 'could' see him here until summer 2018. Maybe one of those 'if you hit X amount of games a 2nd year kicks in' much like what we saw with Jason Thomson. 

EDIT: Rovers1992/1993 beat me to it.

Edited by Raithie

Can't wait for the chairman's interview tonight, does anyone want to play cliché bingo?

Need the fans to buy season tickets

Brush over the board mistakes of the past season

Blame the fans in some other way for the full house

29 minutes ago, donny86 said:

Can't wait for the chairman's interview tonight, does anyone want to play cliché bingo?

Need the fans to buy season tickets

Brush over the board mistakes of the past season

Blame the fans in some other way for the full house

Probably blame you guys for being too negative from the start regarding Locke. Anything to pass the buck.

See Bill Leckie in the Sun today reckons if Raith had stuck with Locke who had them "hard to beat" they wouldnt have gone down..........

I like Bill Leckie and I know since he started doing the Hall of Fame evening, he's developed a soft spot for the Rovers. Locke lost his last six league matches in charge, or seven from his final nine. Hughes lost seven from his 13 all told. Which isn't great either, but evidently it's better.

Sad to see Leckie is just another hack who will put out drivel about his pals regardless of the facts.

23 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

If Cowdenbeath get relegated will Locke be the first manager culpable/responsible for relegating two different teams in one season?;)

In Scotland? Maybe, Anyone know different?

In England Billy McNeill managed that feat with Manchester City & Aston Villa more than 30 years ago.