The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Why would I? I wasn't close to it and it's now many years ago. Someone may have played a positive role in the past, I'm sure many others did too, but it's now 2017 and we have to go on what people are doing right now.

Given the catastrophic decisions that led to or club being relegated on Saturday and the financial implications of that I'm surprised you don't have a stronger view of Eric's suitability or otherwise for the role of Chief Executive going forward. 

For what it's worth, I think he's reached a Grant Murray like position. He might be a decent guy and there might be a case from the past for keeping him in position out of sentiment but the disconnect between him and the support makes his position untenable. The Board acted decisively with Murray and the club benefited immediately. The same action needs to be taken with Eric Drysdale.

It would be a signal to the support that the Board takes what has just happened seriously 

I don't  have a strong view on his retention as I don't support Rovers. I was just surprised to see the apparent change of opinion.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't  have a strong view on his retention as I don't support Rovers. I was just surprised to see the apparent change of opinion.

There's been no change of opinion here. A CEO should be someone who sets the tone for the whole club. They should be positive, forward looking, have ideas and ideally have a bit of charisma. Look at Leanne Dempster at Hibs, that's a good professional CEO of a football club. From what I have seen of Eric he has none of those qualities. The Turnbull Hutton comment might have been a joke but there's truth in it. He's in the role through longevity not ability 

Excuse me folks, but this page is for us championship teams. 

1st division thread for all your whinging and greeting please 8)

I'm joking guys. It's sad that we've only just got back in the same league for only one season. 

Hast ye back. 

I've had strong views on Drysdale for more years than I care to remember. I still don't get how the guy has engineered himself into the most important position within the club despite having invested no money. The exact opposite is now the case because he's taking a salary from the position, which wasn't the case when he initially became secretary. 

We survived before without a CEO and could no doubt do so again.

Just now, Beachbum said:

I've had strong views on Drysdale for more years than I care to remember. I still don't get how the guy has engineered himself into the most important position within the club despite having invested no money. The exact opposite is now the case because he's taking a salary from the position, which wasn't the case when he initially became secretary. 

We survived before without a CEO and could no doubt do so again.

Don't need a CEO in the seaside league 

While Locke and Hughes appointments bow look like terrible business by Drysdale (I don't know much else about his stewardship tbh) Was there much of an outcry or scepticism on the part of the fans at the time, and  before it all went 'tits' ? I ask this because Dougie Rae at Morton has been slammed for the managers he employed and their subsequent underperforming/ failure. On the face of it none of them attracted much criticism at the time (oddly enough I believe Duffy might have been the most controversial signing for some fans - and it took him some time to get their backing)

My point is that managerial appointments are a bit of a lottery ( many thought Murray looked like a good appointment at St Mirren eg) and we fans all have 20/20 hindsight.

I'm not defending Drysdale btw and Yogi has done himself no favours to say the least.

I do hope that you get lucky with your next appointment - and the least you can hope for is a 'man manager' who doesn't burn the players publicly when things aren't working.

1 minute ago, cornbeef said:

While Locke and Hughes appointments bow look like terrible business by Drysdale (I don't know much else about his stewardship tbh) Was there much of an outcry or scepticism on the part of the fans at the time, and  before it all went 'tits' ? I ask this because Dougie Rae at Morton has been slammed for the managers he employed and their subsequent underperforming/ failure. On the face of it none of them attracted much criticism at the time (oddly enough I believe Duffy might have been the most controversial signing for some fans - and it took him some time to get their backing)

My point is that managerial appointments are a bit of a lottery ( many thought Murray looked like a good appointment at St Mirren eg) and we fans all have 20/20 hindsight.

I'm not defending Drysdale btw and Yogi has done himself no favours to say the least.

I do hope that you get lucky with your next appointment - and the least you can hope for is a 'man manager' who doesn't burn the players publicly when things aren't working.

There was an outcry on here at the time to be fair. Most people recognised it was a shit appointment. 

It's not actually that decision I'm bothered about as sometimes managers don't work out. It's the catalogue of errors that followed that Drysdale should take responsibility for. The keeper farce, the Vaughan Loan, the Bates giveaway, the statement mid season attacking fans. All completely inept 

4 minutes ago, cornbeef said:

While Locke and Hughes appointments bow look like terrible business by Drysdale (I don't know much else about his stewardship tbh) Was there much of an outcry or scepticism on the part of the fans at the time, and  before it all went 'tits' ?

There must be a dozen pages on this thread just on the day of Locke's appointment.

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Davidson a fireman? Can imagine him standing outside a burning building going "shhhh" at those shouting for help tbh.

I figured he'd just stand there and watch it burn, muttering something about "Only God can judge..."

2 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

There was an outcry on here at the time to be fair. Most people recognised it was a shit appointment. 

It's not actually that decision I'm bothered about as sometimes managers don't work out. It's the catalogue of errors that followed that Drysdale should take responsibility for. The keeper farce, the Vaughan Loan, the Bates giveaway, the statement mid season attacking fans. All completely inept 

Can understand the fans anger there really.

1 minute ago, bunglebonce said:

There must be a dozen pages on this thread just on the day of Locke's appointment.

Fair enough bb - I've only read the last hundred pages or so ^_^ I still believe that getting a manager isn't an exact science unless he the candidate has outed himself like yogi.

I don't know a single person who thought the Locke appointment was good, other than Eric Drysdale. The only thing I will say in his defence is that even I didn't think Locke would manage to take a 4th placed team to relegation in a year.

What really compounded that though was everything that's followed - giving Bates away for nothing, giving Vaughan to Dumbarton, playing Ryan Stevenson in goals, waiting until two days after the transfer window shut to sack Locke, using the Bates situation to have a pop at the support. He's the reason we're down, there's no getting away from it. Add on that we somehow are losing money, even last season despite finishing 4th and playing Celtic away in the cup, it doesn't look good at all for the current regime.

Having said that I don't think witch hunts help. I'd like to see a statement from the board / Drysdale, explaining their decisions this year and lying out a plan for how we move forward. Ideally it would admit full culpability.

In Drysdale's reign of secrecy though I don't see it. Maybe a puff piece about sticking with the club and getting behind the new manager. The rest will be guesswork.

I don't know a single person who thought the Locke appointment was good, other than Eric Drysdale. The only thing I will say in his defence is that even I didn't think Locke would manage to take a 4th placed team to relegation in a year.

What really compounded that though was everything that's followed - giving Bates away for nothing, giving Vaughan to Dumbarton, playing Ryan Stevenson in goals, waiting until two days after the transfer window shut to sack Locke, using the Bates situation to have a pop at the support. He's the reason we're down, there's no getting away from it. Add on that we somehow are losing money, even last season despite finishing 4th and playing Celtic away in the cup, it doesn't look good at all for the current regime.

Having said that I don't think witch hunts help. I'd like to see a statement from the board / Drysdale, explaining their decisions this year and lying out a plan for how we move forward. Ideally it would admit full culpability.

In Drysdale's reign of secrecy though I don't see it. Maybe a puff piece about sticking with the club and getting behind the new manager. The rest will be guesswork.

RaithTV Tweeting that there's an interview with the Chairman to go out at 19:00 tonight.

Thoroughly looking forward to this interview. Hoping for honesty and perhaps an apology. 

The only decision I'm prepared to exonerate Drysdale for this season is Hughes' appointment. An experienced msnager who has had past successes and was a popular choice with the fans. Sadly, it didn't work, but it was worth a shot.