The New Raith Rovers Thread

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Well that remains to be seen, at the moment all that's happened is that you are back to where you were 12 months ago and have had to take a huge financial risk (at your own board's admission) to get there. If it hadn't paid off, who knows how it would have ended up. In what way are you further forward?

This thing about getting relegated being an opportunity to have a 'clear out' and 'freshen things up' is a total myth. At this level every player is on a 1 or 2 year deal, so you can have a clear out pretty much every summer if you wanted, there is no reason to wait until you are relegated to do this. Raith will be 'fine' in the sense that they will be challenging at the top end of League One, however there is only one automatic promotion slot and the play-offs are a lottery. You have Ayr who will also be benefiting from this apparent opportunity to 'freshen things up', hopefully ourselves (although maybe not...) and maybe Alloa up challenging aswell. It would be very easy for Raith to miss out on the title and spend 2-3 years down there (like Dunfermline did).

I get fans trying to find a positive spin for Raith, but lets be honest it's an absolute shocker of an outcome with virtually no positives.

The whole feel around the club is different, for a number of years now we had been struggling every year in the championship, not winning many games, bottom part of the league.

This season we have won games, the fans have had a good connection with the players, something that hasn't been there either. 

We now have a new majority share holder, and it looks like we finally have someone who knows what they are doing, we are more secure than what we've been in a long time. 

We go into next season reinvigorated, with a winning mentality, we have better players now than what we have done over the last few years and for once we aren't going to be having to put a team together at the last minute like we've had to for a number of years. 

I do agree with you that it will be difficult and they could spend 2 or 3 years in league 1 but I never predicted anything for next season, all I said was it may help in the long run. 

I also agree that it is a shocker of an outcome, they should have been beating Brechin over two legs but that's football, it's hard to predict. 

Fair enough, I haven't followed Raith fortunes recently, but he was about the only guy I met in football that you didn't have to count your fingers after shaking hands.

I wouldn't dispute he has the best interests of the club at heart. I'm also sure I'm not alone in thinking his decisions haven't had the desired outcome. By that I mean they have been truly awful. He's sat on the board for years and we are no further forward to being debt free.

We've been in the richest second tier of Scottish football in a long time and posted losses. Even when we finished second to the pars we posted a loss. That's mismanagement at board room level plain and simple.

We've hired two absolute arsehole managers this season, sanctioned ridiculous transfers (Vaughan for Stevenson, bates on what was essentially a free transfer to second etc)

It's all us fans fault though because we don't put into a youth development fund.....

For all the good will in the world, if you don't have the ability, you don't have the ability. Sadly Eric doesn't seem to have the ability.

16 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

I also agree that it is a shocker of an outcome, they should have been beating Brechin over two legs but that's football, it's hard to predict. 

You are possibly basing this on our league meetings which 3 of them occurred when we had injury crisis and players playing out of position and no options to change things .  Not easy when up against teams like yourselves on a great run of confidence.  However our form over the past few weeks has improved dramatically and the last 2 games have proved that on our day we have the players to beat anyone in league 1. 

On paper , a full time team should be beating a part time one as you say but to say a team high on confidence beating a team with none is a shocker of an outcome is a little bit condescending. 

I like most raith fans were devastated after yesterday but its been coming for a while.We have had quite a few chances to stay up but blew it by our attitude,playing the wrong team,missing penalties in the shoot out etc.However what i dont want to see is every player being released as we will never have a chance of getting back up if we need to build from scratch.There is a few players who should never wear a raith shirt again though.The only good thing is we get 2 trip to play the methil minks [just joking stevo :)] and a few other grounds we havent been to for a while.The board have been a shambles aswell this season but will probably blame everyone else rather than themselves.the one good thing is penman is still involved so it may be the right time for him to get involved more but we shall see. 

Edited by BIGQ FAE KDY

1 hour ago, BIGQ FAE KDY said:

I like most raith fans were devastated after yesterday but its been coming for a while.We have had quite a few chances to stay up but blew it by our attitude,playing the wrong team,missing penalties in the shoot out etc.However what i dont want to see is every player being released as we will never have a chance of getting back up if we need to build from scratch.There is a few players who should never wear a raith shirt again though.The only good thing is we get 2 trip to play the methil minks [just joking stevo :)] and a few other grounds we havent been to for a while.The board have been a shambles aswell this season but will probably blame everyone else rather than themselves.the one good thing is penman is still involved so it may be the right time for him to get involved more but we shall see. 

Looking forward to seeing you guys again BIGQ. Been too long:P

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You are possibly basing this on our league meetings which 3 of them occurred when we had injury crisis and players playing out of position and no options to change things .  Not easy when up against teams like yourselves on a great run of confidence.  However our form over the past few weeks has improved dramatically and the last 2 games have proved that on our day we have the players to beat anyone in league 1. 

On paper , a full time team should be beating a part time one as you say but to say a team high on confidence beating a team with none is a shocker of an outcome is a little bit condescending. 

That is absolutely fair enough, obviously I was basing it on the 4 games we played you this season, all 4 games I've been disappointed in the Brechin performance and I'm not going to lie I was shocked you made the play offs, but fair play, you have and are now only 2 games away from promotion which would be an unbelievable achievement. 

Ofcourse a full time team should be beating a part time team but you just need to look at Dumbarton to see that isn't always the case, I was more going on the fact of what I had seen of yourselves and I expected Raith to be a lot better than what they obviously are. 

It was a brilliant result for you and I wish you all the very best against Alloa, as you say, on your day you can beat anyone right now so why not Alloa as well ? 

May the best team win. 

8 hours ago, rrfsee said:

If Cowdenbeath can do it I am sure we can. We need to that should be the future of this club.

If we cant turn over a profit with Rangers in our league,cup tie against Celtic and Hibs,play off games and 200+ grand for finishing 4 th in the league what makes you think we can run a development team in the seaside league?

Edited by Rovers_Lad

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

If he is looking to invest more into the club it goes against what I thought I knew about him. I was under the impression he originally got involved because his father was a rovers fan and he didn't want to see us go out of business. The only other thing I know about him is he's supposedly based in Thailand. All my knowledge comes from online tall though so could be 100% wrong.

John Sim has followed the Rovers since we were together at Dunnikier Primary. His father was a Rovers supporter and also the minister at the old kirk. He now lives and works in Thailand. I believe he became involved and, I think, bought them out when the Glasgow mob were going to sell the ground and turn it into flats. Not sure how much contact he has with Rovers now as I have not spoken to him in many years but I do believe he would always have Rovers interest at heart.

Yeah, Davidson is what, 33, 34? He'll need something to do for the next twenty years if he doesn't fancy coaching or staying in football. He's still under contract but I guess the question is whether we can still pay him in League 1, or if he even wants to be here. Same questions can be asked of the likes of Bobby Barr, Benedictus and Cuthbert.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Yeah, Davidson is what, 33, 34? He'll need something to do for the next twenty years if he doesn't fancy coaching or staying in football. He's still under contract but I guess the question is whether we can still pay him in League 1, or if he even wants to be here. Same questions can be asked of the likes of Bobby Barr, Benedictus and Cuthbert.

have you watched Bene trying to get back into his defensive position ?

or trying to keep up with a winger who has hit the ball past him ?

if he had any speed he certainly doesn't have it now, or maybe not fit

11 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

The whole feel around the club is different, for a number of years now we had been struggling every year in the championship, not winning many games, bottom part of the league.

This season we have won games, the fans have had a good connection with the players, something that hasn't been there either. 

We now have a new majority share holder, and it looks like we finally have someone who knows what they are doing, we are more secure than what we've been in a long time. 

We go into next season reinvigorated, with a winning mentality, we have better players now than what we have done over the last few years and for once we aren't going to be having to put a team together at the last minute like we've had to for a number of years. 

I do agree with you that it will be difficult and they could spend 2 or 3 years in league 1 but I never predicted anything for next season, all I said was it may help in the long run. 

I find it amazing that you can actually sustain a full time club on crowds of 750 these days. There must be a fair amount of cash getting pumped in to do that surely.