The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well, that was catastrophic.

Considering how the season has panned out though, getting relegated by means of a penalty shoot out, seems entirely fitting.

Brechin lost more league games than they won over the course of the season, so the fact we couldn't beat them over two fixtures, tells you a lot about how guff we are.

We'd be covering old ground if we listed everything which has went wrong this term, goodness me, it's a lengthy list, but in terms of terrible performances, poor leadership and rank amateur decision making, it's been right up there with the Anelka/Dalziel farrago.

Other than a few fleeting moments, the entire campaign has been an abysmal watch, right from the get-go, when we huffed and puffed against Cove Rangers at Forfar.

I personally think Hughes was just as big a disaster as Locke. Okay, he didn't build that squad, but his man management skills have clearly been abysmal, while his tactics and substitutions have been downright strange at times.

Let's face it, he's been a giant weirdo from the minute he arrived, and good riddance he's away.

I think we should have dispensed with him sooner, and would have had a better chance of staying up if we'd handed the reigns to Easton for the playoffs.

Not necessarily because Easton is a good manager, it's impossible to tell, but at least it would have cleared the toxicity from the dressing room.

There appeared to be mutual disrespect between the players and manager, if not outright contempt, and it completely hindered us. At times I think it clouded Hughes judgment too, and he cut off his nose to spite his face.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the fact our statement on his departure is about a sentence and a half long, possibly tells a story in itself. Or maybe whoever wrote it just wanted home for their tea. Who knows?

The next managerial appointment is huge. Clubs live and die by boardroom decisions, and we desperately need the next few to go well.

A good one, and we'll come straight back up, I don't doubt that for a second, but if we continue to make poor ones, then there's a wee chance we'll end up like Airdrie.

A part-time club that's marooned in League One, that doesn't own its stadium and is playing in front of crowds of under 1000. It's pretty concerning.

The only plus point is that the whole, wretched season is now finished.

So is the guess at the moment that you're not actually clearing out everyone, that was just Hughes having a meltdown before he flounced off in the huff, and that decision will be left for the new manager when Darren Young is probably announced on Tuesday? Or are you actually in such a financial mess the board have genuinely had to get rid of every single player?

Eric Drysdale :lol:

It's not just getting the important decisions right we also need the right people making them.

If we're sacking staff and players and have to tighten our belt then it needs to be at all levels of the "business".

If it is mcglynn we know what we're getting and so does he next season won't be pretty a few good away days but no decent crowds to count on 

I've heard its a cushy wee number he has travelling the country and into Europe scouting. Someone his age it's a cracking job.

Imagine it's well payed and has job security too. He'd be mad to go and I don't really want him. We all know exactly what we'd get with McGlynn, been there.

FWIW I think it will be Young and (presumably) Stark and that would be my preference. Young was at the game yesterday.

Could be we've been consulting with McGlynn. It's known who did the manager interviews last year and not a single 'football person' was involved. How can you successfully interview for a job you've never done?

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Colin Cameron or Danny Lennon as next boss, as directors try to rally fans behind ex player.

Maybe they could do a job for us, but that scenario would be too similar (for my liking) to the Dalziel appointment following the Anelka debacle. 

This has been worse than Anelka, at least he was an unknown quantity (albeit the odds of him working out were slim to none) but the outcomes of the club's poor appointments, dealings and signing policies have been terrible, as predicted by everyone in Scottish football. I say everyone, but really I mean fans not old boys media cronies of Locke etc.

I'd take McGlynn back in a heart beat. Been there and done it before, and knows how to get the most out of a limited squad on a limited budget. He does have a great job travelling Europe as a Celtic scout, I met him at Charles de Gaulle a few years ago when he was on his way back from Italy doing just that. He's a football man who would find it hard to say no to getting back in to management, especially with us given his affiliation with the club.

I didn't feel comfortable saying it on here whilst he was still in the managers position, but I'd heard from various sources that the players detested Hughes and his management skills. The fact that he didn't even turn up to the POTY night, coupled with the players giving their POTY to Bobby Barr, who Hughes effectively exiled from the first team, says it all.

As for the players I'd want to keep, Cuthbert, Benedictus, Barr, Matthews, Callachan, Vaughan, Court and, although he's been quite poor of late, Bobby Barr, who I think would comfortably be the best player in League 1. Eight seems a high number of bodies I'd want to keep from a side who have been so rancid all season, but there's a very good spine there, especially a league down. The rest can go.

We need to appoint a manager within a few weeks, whoever that is, or risk losing out on potential targets. Clubs have already started announcing signings for next season, we need to act quickly and get someone in and give them the time they need to build a squad capable of coming back straight away.

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Young's done a cracking job at Albion Rovers. Winning League Two and keeping them in League One for a third straight season has to be viewed as a success.

He'd keep Rovers in League One for a third straight season.

Certainly doubt we'd keep Bobby Barr with McGlynn. McGlynn was famous for only really signing players with the 'right' attitude. It's not just Hughes that doesn't see eye to eye with the guy.

I'd take McGlynn back in a heart beat. Been there and done it before, and knows how to get the most out of a limited squad on a limited budget. He does have a great job travelling Europe as a Celtic scout, I met him at Charles de Gaulle a few years ago when he was on his way back from Italy doing just that. He's a football man who would find it hard to say no to getting back in to management, especially with us given his affiliation with the club.

I didn't feel comfortable saying it on here whilst he was still in the managers position, but I'd heard from various sources that the players detested Hughes and his management skills. The fact that he didn't even turn up to the POTY night, coupled with the players giving their POTY to Bobby Barr, who Hughes effectively exiled from the first team, says it all.

As for the players I'd want to keep, Cuthbert, Benedictus, Barr, Matthews, Callachan, Vaughan, Court and, although he's been quite poor of late, Bobby Barr, who I think would comfortably be the best player in League 1. Eight seems a high number of bodies I'd want to keep from a side who have been so rancid all season, but there's a very good spine there, especially a league down. The rest can go.

We need to appoint a manager within a few weeks, whoever that is, or risk losing out on potential targets. Clubs have already started announcing signings for next season, we need to act quickly and get someone in and give them the time they need to build a squad capable of coming back straight away.

Correct to the above. It's a good spine to the club. Ryan Stevenson and other youngsters blended in alongside is,my preferred option. I'd love to see Coustrain return and IMO if this is not the way it happens then really what is the point of a development squad. Add that to Easton as the manager.