The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've been bitterly disappointed by Hughes, truth be told. I thought when we got rid of Locke and he came in that he'd get us to 7th pretty comfortably. Instead it's been a fucking slog and his press interviews are bordering on shambolic of late.

Given that he was, as agreed by just about everyone, the best possible candidate at the time I'm not sure what else we could've done.

I see Albion Rovers have announced Young is leaving at the end of the season...

if we go down Young will be at Pratt Street next season

remind me of the playoff format please
is it the same as premiership/championship ?
seem to remember it is different ?

9th in Championship v 4th in League 1 over 2 legs.

2nd in League 1 v 3rd in League 1 over 2 legs

Winners play each other over 2 legs.

Highest placed team at home in the second leg.

"Right at this moment in time, I'll take a play-off place," Hughes told BBC Scotland. "We'll take our chances there.
"I think we can go to St Mirren and beat them. St Mirren are a much improved side since Christmas. Although we beat them 2-0 at our place [in March], I felt they were the better team and hopefully we can go and do that again on Saturday.

"I'll take 9th even though I think we can secure safety in our next match"
What a gibbering buffoon.

Somebody should tell Yogi about our play-off record. Played 3 lost 3.

I've been bitterly disappointed by Hughes, truth be told. I thought when we got rid of Locke and he came in that he'd get us to 7th pretty comfortably. Instead it's been a fucking slog and his press interviews are bordering on shambolic of late.

Given that he was, as agreed by just about everyone, the best possible candidate at the time I'm not sure what else we could've done.

I see Albion Rovers have announced Young is leaving at the end of the season...

Most people told you Hughes was a shite manager who wouldn't turn you around. Most Raith fans buried their heads in the ground and tried to talk themselves into thinking he's a great manager.

Most people told you Hughes was a shite manager who wouldn't turn you around. Most Raith fans buried their heads in the ground and tried to talk themselves into thinking he's a great manager.

Hughes clearly isn't a shite manager and although he's obviously got to take a bit of blame here for the shambles Rovers are in I think the vast majority of it lies at other people's feet.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hughes should easily have been good enough to get us finishing 8th. He was clearly the best available option, he's just had an absolute fucking disaster.

Aye because we were turning down SAF and Mourinho... seriously, there was no better option that would have signed a 4 month contract with us. With the squad we have there was nobody who was simply going to waltz in and turn us around with the click of his fingers.

As I said several times, sacking Locke was never going to be a silver bullet. There was still a danger we would go down, and that would be a massive disaster if we'd had to pay compensation for another manager and still been relegated. Hughes was the best available from the unattached manager and also the least risky. What had become apparent is that Locke was taking us down. 

As it transpires, the players aren't good enough either and I can understand Hughes' frustration from that point of view. However, I am not pleased with him lambasting them publicly because I really don't see what it achieves. 

Hughes may not have made the impact some hoped for, but it isn't his fault if we're relegated. The fault lies with the previous manager who signed the squad Hugheshas to work with and those who made an appointment that was a terrible decision from the outset. 

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

(BTW , ithink HugeAs I said several times, sacking Locke was never going to be a silver bullet. There was still a danger we would go down, and that would be a massive disaster if we'd had to pay compensation for another manager and still been relegated. Hughes was the best available from the unattached manager and also the least risky. What had become apparent is that Locke was taking us down. 

As it transpires, the players aren't good enough either and I can understand Hughes' frustration from that point of view. However, I am not pleased with him lambasting them publicly because I really don't see what it achieves. 

Hughes may not have made the impact some hoped for, but it isn't his fault if we're relegated. The fault lies with the previous manager who signed the squad Hugheshas to work with and those who made an appointment that was a terrible decision from the outset. 

Totally agree with this. Like so many others I was shocked when they (BOD) appointed  Locke but resigned myself optimistically, in hope he would be okay. Well, we all know what happened. 

The only constants we had to "give" Hughes was the bunch of players Locke left and the B of D.

Like M W said, I think Hughes had a battle on his hands before   he had them kick a ball.

(BTW, I think Hughes is employing reverse psychology with some of his statements in the hope of getting a reaction from the team, he is not daft , as some are making him out to be.)

Locke drained a reasonable squad's confidence by signing a number of no marks.

Whilst Gary L. might be a good coach, as a manager at this level he does not have it.

If, and it's a big "if", we stay up, this crowd in the Boardroom need to take a long hard look at themselves and get a man in who can .do the job....and leave off criticising the fans for having the temerity to complain  when they see what a state THEIR team is in.

NB  Bates is on the bench for Rangers today....wonder how much we made from that deal? Clueless!!

Rant over. 

Edited by Wee Sandy

We are playing worse than we ever did under Locke. Hughes has been an absolute disgrace and totally fucked this up. That line up today was an utterly disgrace. Anyone absolving Hughes of blame needs their head tested.

We'll need to regroup after that humping, players and fans both. I'm assuming anyone who travelled through for that will be fucking livid tonight. Hopefully by Monday we can focus on winning the Ayr game.

Then cross your fingers that St Mirren get nothing against Hibs. Failing that we're in the relegation play-offs.

That said, we deserve to finish 9th. I see East Fife have fucked it, so it looks like we'll be playing Brechin.