The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 hours ago, Michael W said:

I see Hughes is publicly saying he'll take a play-off place. 

I obviously don't know what happens on the training ground, but yet another negative interview? Strange. 

it does seem very bizarre, given you are currently 8th with the two teams below you still to play.

On the face of it the team need a win and a draw to stay up with one of those games at home to the team bottom of the league.

So why the f**k is the man hired to keep us up selling play offs as acceptable?

This "should" be entirely doable on our own and you would expect the manager to be bumming up the team especially seeing as they have only just lost at the league champions due to a last minute free kick.

If we win our next match we're safe. Indeed we could draw with St Mirren and lose to Ayr, and provided St Mirren also lost at Easter Road, we'd be safe.

What an incredibly odd thing to say.

Terrible statement from Hughes, won't do anything to the team's already low confidence.

Imperative we avoid defeat tomorrow. A win sees us safe, a draw still leaves it up in the air - not taking a Hibs win at Ayr for granted - but leaves it in our own hands in the final game.

Not a fan of this relegation battle malarky, too many permutations to take into consideration, and it wouldn't be the Rovers way to sail through the last two games!

Can't get my head round Hughes' statement, if that was our manager I'd be raging. Your sitting 8th, playing the 2 teams below in the last 2 games and the 2 teams below you both have to play the league winners and he'd settle for the playoffs. Particularly since you were 11 points clear of bottom place when he took over so it wouldn't exactly be an achievement to finish 9th.

"Right at this moment in time, I'll take a play-off place," Hughes told BBC Scotland. "We'll take our chances there.

"I think we can go to St Mirren and beat them. St Mirren are a much improved side since Christmas. Although we beat them 2-0 at our place [in March], I felt they were the better team and hopefully we can go and do that again on Saturday.

"I'll take 9th even though I think we can secure safety in our next match"

What a gibbering buffoon.

I've been bitterly disappointed by Hughes, truth be told. I thought when we got rid of Locke and he came in that he'd get us to 7th pretty comfortably. Instead it's been a fucking slog and his press interviews are bordering on shambolic of late.

Given that he was, as agreed by just about everyone, the best possible candidate at the time I'm not sure what else we could've done.

I see Albion Rovers have announced Young is leaving at the end of the season...

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've been bitterly disappointed by Hughes, truth be told. I thought when we got rid of Locke and he came in that he'd get us to 7th pretty comfortably. Instead it's been a fucking slog and his press interviews are bordering on shambolic of late.

Given that he was, as agreed by just about everyone, the best possible candidate at the time I'm not sure what else we could've done.

I see Albion Rovers have announced Young is leaving at the end of the season...

I suppose one mitigating factor could be that the team was actually even worse than it looked.

29 minutes ago, renton said:

I suppose one mitigating factor could be that the team was actually even worse than it looked.

That's what I take from it, we are even worse than he realised.

I think if we had got him in two or three games earlier we would probably be safe or needing just a point or so by now. The home/away thing is a strange anomoly under Yogi though, unbeaten at home and not picked up a single point away.