The New Raith Rovers Thread

If Rovers fans wouldn't want Hartley then I'm interested to know the standard of manager you expect.

Some people think we should look down the leagues and hope we find another McKinnon without realising McKinnon was utter guff the first 6 months he was here. He then got heavily backed in the January window and got lucky when a player of Aidan Connolly's calibre became available.

I reckon Ryan Hardie would have always came to us regardless of McKinnon being here with our (unfortunate) connection with them. After all he came back when Gary Locke was here as well.

McKinnon then went to Dundee United, got backed quite a bit by Steven Thomson, and has been pretty mediocre looking in from the outside.

There aren't any potential gems in the lower league at the minute from what I can see anyway. We shouldn't have snubbed Jack Ross last summer. Paul Hartley knows this league well. He'll have plenty of contacts. I reckon he would also be interested in us as well. We're a right fit for him to get him back in to a full-time club to put himself back out there for next season again.

9 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The general ignorance of the rules in Scotland's professional game is as baffling as it is infuriating.

Edit: That sounds like a dig against some of the previous posters, but it isn't. I mean things like Handling not knowing he can't possibly play, Locke thinking he could recall Vaughan, and (worst of all) SPFL board member Eric Drysdale not knowing the rules regarding loans and/or goalkeepers.

Those are just three examples from this season, and just from one club. I don't think it'd take a huge amount of digging to find numerous other examples.

It took me less than two minutes to dig out that rule about loan players and parent clubs, on Google. It's inexcusable ineptitude from "professionals".

Most players have no reason to know what administrative rules are. To be fair its not their job. They rely on soneone else to keep them right and cant be expected to know rule changes especially. Handling probably remembers the Booth incident and thinks he can do the same.

Managers are a mixed bag. Some make a point of researching the rules but generally will also rely on club admin to keep them right.

In both cases its not the lack of knowledge in itself that is the issue, its giving interviews where they dont just say "I dont know, I will need to check what is possible" instead of peddling wrong info.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Most players have no reason to know what administrative rules are. To be fair its not their job. They rely on soneone else to keep them right and cant be expected to know rule changes especially. Handling probably remembers the Booth incident and thinks he can do the same.
Managers are a mixed bag. Some make a point of researching the rules but generally will also rely on club admin to keep them right.
In both cases its not the lack of knowledge in itself that is the issue, its giving interviews where they dont just say "I dont know, I will need to check what is possible" instead of peddling wrong info.

I take it With Hibs knowing the league was pretty much theirs anyway when they sent Handling our way, there is nothing they could have put in the contract to allow him to play against Hibs?

He hasn't, yet. I still think the board will offer him a contract if he keeps us up. The board will want to keep the fans sweet in the summer. The board knows that the fans were all wanting Yogi in, on February. If he keeps us up, he's done exactly what the fans wanted him here to do. Therefore the board will think the fans will still want him going forward. They will offer him a contract hoping he accepts in order to get those season tickets shifted for next season.

This is something I'd like to see happen, I'd like to think the board would want to keep him IF we stay up. He didn't have a transfer window to work with. So has to make do with the players we have. Let's see what he does with his own players. See who he will offload and bring in that'll strengthen several areas we seriously struggle in. If he decides to leave then Hartley should be a consideration, just don't bring Wighton with you.

43 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I take it With Hibs knowing the league was pretty much theirs anyway when they sent Handling our way, there is nothing they could have put in the contract to allow him to play against Hibs?

Nothing at all. RATM has already quoted the rules. It's not allowed whether both parties and the player wanted it to happen or not. You can't over-ride the League rules with a contract term.

2 hours ago, Martin Nelson said:

If we are relegated we might have to look at a manager of Hartley's standard but hopefully it won't come to that.

If you get relegated the only Hartley you'll be getting is the c**t in the Yellow Pages advert.

Edited by da_no_1

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Most players have no reason to know what administrative rules are. To be fair its not their job.

True. Their job is to play football and they should know those rules but I suspect the majority of them don't know much about the laws of the game... :-D

52 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Another Pars fan (fly) fishing

Nice.

My point (kinda) is that it seems to be a bit strange that there's a a fair bit of negativity towards a relatively successful young manager & his chance of being appointed as your next manager if Hughes goes.

A bit strange from the outside looking in.

Would be a great appointment for Raith.

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

Nice.

My point (kinda) is that it seems to be a bit strange that there's a a fair bit of negativity towards a relatively successful young manager & his chance of being appointed as your next manager if Hughes goes.

A bit strange from the outside looking in.

Would be a great appointment for Raith.

To be fair most of the negativity has come from myself, which is pretty much par for the course (excuse the pun).